Resupply ship Death Machines

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

jacozilla

Resupply ship Death Machines

Post by jacozilla »

So in my last game i decided to make my resupply ships into a strike group of floating fortresses, basically basestars from BSG.

On a per size basis, they are not the most efficient - but on a single unit basis, no other unit can equal the firepower and shielding. Even a max construction tech, ackdarian race bonus 20% ship size capital ship comes only rougjly 2/3 the total firepower with far less shielding than a resupply ship fortress, even with the tonnage used to comply with defined requirments.

It may not be everyones cup of tea, but man it was pretty fun. Self sufficient groups of 5-6 resupply base stars that could refuel where ever, repair each other, and just rain death down on everyone, i designed mine as fighters / plasma torps / bombard weapon platforms with massive shielding, warp deny, and the gravity tech that stops hyper ships.

My goal wasnt to conquer, simply exterminate. The entire game i basically used the same dozen resupply basestars to foght then exterminate planet by planet every other empire. Veru borgish i suppose.
RemoteLeg

RE: Resupply ship Death Machines

Post by RemoteLeg »

What a brilliant idea! [:)]
I'm going to try that.
See my Distant Worlds tutorial videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... VfLtaT9Y81
Serenitis

RE: Resupply ship Death Machines

Post by Serenitis »

This is not a new idea.
It is however, still brilliant and fun.