WITP - TOAW

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
larryfulkerson

WITP - TOAW

Post by larryfulkerson »

So um.......Thomas Harvey and I are playtesting War in the Pacific 1941 -1945 v.3.6 right now and just as an experiment I
made a mod of it where the game turns are one day each and there's, like, 900 turns. And that extends the game up to Feb. '44.
So I'm wondering if anybody would play it. There's about 150 units per side and the turns go relatively fast but, again, there's a
lot of them. It's a lot like WITP-AE but way easier with a LOT less mouseclicks. The naval combat rules make the naval
warfare game play realistic and the spotter planes seem to be working out okie dokie and there's PBY's but, alas, no C-47's yet
since there's no "transport" type aircraft. I guess Thomas could have labeled them "light bombers" or something. Anyway, we're
at game turn 60 or so and I'm real sorry I can't post the AAR here for you guys. Not yet.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
larryfulkerson

RE: WITP - TOAW

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey Good news sports fans............Thomas says he's going to make some smaller, shorter lasting
scenarios about specific battles. Like Midway, the battle of the Coral Sea, the Solomons campaign,
etc. Each of themj will be one-day turns and 25km per hex. Sounds great. Stay tuned.
FirstPappy

Post by FirstPappy »

I'd be very interested to play it. I already own AE but being in my 60's I would like to be able to play a Pacific War game on a similar scale to the end.

Pappy
Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.70Ghz Processor
32 GB Ram
Nvidia GEFORCE GTX1080 w/8 GB
LG 32GK850F 2560x1440
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Pappy
I'd be very interested to play it. I already own AE but being in my 60's I would like to be able to play a Pacific War game on a similar scale to the end.
Pappy
Good news Pappy. Thomas Harvey is the designer of Pacific At War and he heard my cry for one-day turns and has set
about making some of those smaller scenarios. He made one called Operation MI that is about Midway. It's the same map
as the bigger game but the map is cut down to just the relevant area and there's 20 turns of 6 hours each so that gives us two
periods of light and two periods of night each day. Both of us are guilty of flying CS missions at night, it's a hard habit to break and
neither of us thought about the results being attenuated at night. The missions were largely a waste of fuel. Plus the losses.
We've already playtested Operation MI and the Japs won on points but lost all their carriers except one CVL and a CVE.

He's hard at work on a Coral Sea scenario. He said something about it having 50 turns of 6-hours each and the map would include
the Australia / Port Moresby area. I personally would like to see a 1-day turn version of PAW and if Thomas doesn't make one
I'll see if I can't make one for us.
FirstPappy

Post by FirstPappy »

Just to be clear, I don't currently own TOAW but what I meant was I plan to purchase version IV and would give a Pacific War scenario a try. You are talking about IV correct?
Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.70Ghz Processor
32 GB Ram
Nvidia GEFORCE GTX1080 w/8 GB
LG 32GK850F 2560x1440
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Just to be clear, I don't currently own TOAW but what I meant was I plan to purchase version IV and would give a Pacific War scenario a try. You are talking about IV correct?
Yes indeed. I'm currently playtesting the Pacific at War scenario using the very latest TOAW IV beta and Thomas Harvey
and I are on turn 90 and there's about 191 turns, something like that. Just NE of Broome Australia about 200 miles there's an island
named Timor and I've invaded it and my Marines are in the process of clearing the island of Japs and as soon as I capture the last airfield on the island ( there's two ) I'm going to fly in all kinds of air power and flood the skies with force projection. And I'm planning on
going from there to the Celebes and then I'm going to try to retake the PI and make Manila my main hub. And according to the rules I
can win if I capture either Tokyo ( hard ) or Okinawa ( not so terribly hard but still really difficult ). And I've got about half of the game
left to do it. It's a draw on points so far. Thomas says he's run his men hard and he's taken everything he intended to take and he's
strictly defensive now. It's early August '43 and I'm just now starting to get the better planes and some ships and it's looking good.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I was going to say that Thomas Harvey is the scenario designer and has already played it over and over while he
was designing it and we've found a few anomolies and fixed them and this scenario is a winner in my opinion. Thomas has already
designed Operation MI which is a smaller shorter scenario that we're playtesting also. We're on turn 20 and I'm the Japs and
I've sunk the American carriers and now I'm bombarding Midway prior to landing my troops. He's also working on a Coral Sea
scenario and I've got an email about it that I haven't opened yet. He's probably ready to test it too now.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've got an email about it that I haven't opened yet. He's probably ready to test it too now.
I was right. He send the Coral Sea scenario, EQP file and NQP file and says he's ready to receive my first turn so we
can playtest it. There's 24 turns and Thomas reports is equal in airpower roughly speaking. The Jap has to take
Port Moresby. I'll see if I can't get the AAR re-posted to this forum after TOAW IV is released.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Well considering how popular War in the Pacific AE is, I feel sure that there will be people that will play it just to compare if nothing else. As a long time AE fan, I will definitely be trying it out [:)]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar
Well considering how popular War in the Pacific AE is, I feel sure that there will be people that will play it just to compare if nothing else. As a long time AE fan, I will definitely be trying it out [:)]
Thomas Harvey is the designer of PAW and he and I are playtesting it even as we speak. But when he's not working on his
moves he's designing some smaller shorter scenarios. Operation MI and Coral Sea and Eastern Solomons, etc.
I'll see if I can't get the AAR moved from the beta development forum to this forum after the new version is released.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Pappy
Thomas and I have been sending emails back and forth talking about these monster games. Here's what he said about it:

Hi Larry,

To do the entire war at 6 hour turns it would take 5460 turns. The other problem would be replacement production. There would be no way to do that normally. Ground troops could be done by sending in units to be disbanded weekly and keep the same production that way. Ships could be done normally when they show up.

But aircraft can't be disbanded so how would you bring in new aircraft? Just new units?

One day turns would be 1365 turns. The aircraft production would be an issue there as well.

Tom
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

WitP AE has the same issue with Allied plane production. The Allies plane production is fixed. So no matter how bad the Allies do in the PTO, the plane replacement schedule is fixed for the entire game. The same issue is also in War in the East where Russia can adjust the units it builds while the Axis side are fixed.

I played the TOW III Russian campaign which starts off really well, but that has the same issue you are dealing with your version of PAW. Unfortunately to really make these larger campaigns work is to somehow allow the replacements be dynamic somehow. Or allow the players to chose replacement levels in exchange for VPs or some other mechanism.

Or just develop a whole new game that includes full production capabilities [:D]
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Or just develop a whole new game that includes full production capabilities [:D]

^^This^^. Let me know when it is ready. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
falcon2006

Post by falcon2006 »

hi, guys, I'm from China and I enjoy playing WITP-AE, what I am thinking about is a full-scale gaming system of the entire resisting Japanese invasion war in china, but this is hard to realise due to the timing setting in WITP only allow days after Dec.7 1941, so my team and I turn to HOI3 although the latter has many problems in recreating that 8 years of war.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

in recreating that 8 years of war.
8 years of war in 6-hour turns........that must be close to 10,000 turns. Who would play that?
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: falcon2006

hi, guys, I'm from China and I enjoy playing WITP-AE, what I am thinking about is a full-scale gaming system of the entire resisting Japanese invasion war in china, but this is hard to realise due to the timing setting in WITP only allow days after Dec.7 1941, so my team and I turn to HOI3 although the latter has many problems in recreating that 8 years of war.

Hi Falcon. You might be able to do that with TOAW4 when it is completed. The naval detail will not be the same. But you can set the turns for 6 hour, half day, full day, half week and full week.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”