AI in action screenshot #1: Breakout attempt

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

Vic

AI in action screenshot #1: Breakout attempt

Post by Vic »

Here a partial map screenshot from BETA tester stonestriker. It illustrates well the AI's last ditch effort to escape an encirclement.

In this screenshot we see the AI desperately trying to get 3A and 11A out of the Vilnius pocket by trying to reach Dunaburg by breakout.

I was told its attack on 3rd motorized failed, but the thing that matters is that the AI actually tries.

Attachments
aiExample.jpg
aiExample.jpg (96.51 KiB) Viewed 273 times
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
elmo3

RE: AI in action screenshot #1: Breakout attempt

Post by elmo3 »

How is the Axis AI at creating these kinds of pockets? Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi Elmo,

In this screenshot the German player is a human tester. Its the Soviet AI that got encircled.

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Yup, I got that. Was asking if we can expect to see the Axis AI making pockets too. Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Yup, I got that. Was asking if we can expect to see the Axis AI making pockets too. Thanks.

Don't expect it to be as good at it as a human, but it will be opportunistic when possible.

best wishes,
Vic
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

I have just started a test game as the Soviets, so I can show you a few bits.

This is Turn 2, so 4 days in.

You can see the AI almost managed to complete the encirclement of my entire 3rd Army. In an act of considerable luck, though, 3rd Army was among the very few armies that managed to fully activate, so next turn I saved most of my units, the ones who stayed inactive were surrounded and eliminated in short order

(It is a factor of some variables, like front commanders and level of Red Army reform you have managed to enact that defines the chances of particular armies activating. Needless to say the command and control structure is not exactly up for the task when the whole thing starts, so being able to move fully with the 3rd Army was a much needed break)

On the second one I just wanted to show how the AI prefers to encircle cities before assaulting them - a key tactic as costly sieges are not really affordable!

The third one is from a couple of turns later, Lvov is already well behind the enemy lines (visible on top left).
Here you can see a much bigger envelopment attempted - the bulk of the Romanians are pushing north while the German armies north of my guys are looking for ways to envelope instead of just smashing into them headlong.

And here is that situation one turn later: you can see they couldn't go past Proskurow in force so ended up linking up and enveloping where they had the chance:

Attachments
s1.jpg
s1.jpg (800.65 KiB) Viewed 274 times
pierreoza

Post by pierreoza »

very nice !
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Looking good. My most anticipated game now since WITE :)
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

That looks like good performance by ai. i'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS.

Thanks
Rick
dsawan

Post by dsawan »

same here
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Looks promising. Thanks.

WitE alpha/beta tester
governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Looking good. My most anticipated game now since WITE :)

Same here..and what was WITE again? ;).

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”