Hitting own Minefield

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

postfux

Hitting own Minefield

Post by postfux »

Is this just bad luck or can it be avoided (other than not entering the hex)?
Dili

RE: Hitting own Minefield

Post by Dili »

Sometimes happens. Things we can't control like IRL, mines gets out of the field, the ship commander was not informed etc...it is the flavor of the game, learn to enjoy the uncertainty.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Is this in one of your ports?

If so, I'm not sure, but if you place one elsewhere, it's basically a "wild west" minefield subject to anyone hitting it.
postfux

Post by postfux »

It should have been my Port but the Marines took their Time. My Cover TF got hit, crippling a CA sinking a CL and routing the Rest.

I dont need this kind of enjoyment every day 😀.

Will this remain a wild minefield after the base is taken?
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

No it should revert to a "defensive" minefield.
TinySumo

Post by TinySumo »

oh too bad. is it clear in the game if the mine is yours or a enemy sub's one ?
IJN Yokosuka SNLF Fanboy
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

An enemy minefield will remain unknown to you until you start sweeping the hex or hit a mine. Once that happens a "dot" will appear in the hex indicating it has mines (if a dot already exists it is either YOUR minefield OR you previously discovered it). If you are the Japanese and the dot is red, then it is your minefield, if it is NOT red then it is an allied minefield, no matter what vessel dropped the mines... IIRC Allied colors are dependent upon the country that laid the mines. US is green I believe.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

A small chance to hit your own minefield when it is in a hex that is not a base of yours. Slight but it happens.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
postfux

Post by postfux »

I am US, there is a green dot and no red one and the CL was sunk by a mark 16 (laid the day before) so I am pretty sure I hit my own minefield.

The Invasion TF has some Minesweepers but I am not sure whether they actually sweep in this function. An ASW TF ist steaming around happily in the same hex.

Note to myself: always mine AFTER the invasion
TinySumo

Post by TinySumo »

Got it . thanks you
IJN Yokosuka SNLF Fanboy
pompack

Post by pompack »

minefields are a bit tricky

A defensive minefield is one laid by you in a port you control
an offensive minefield is one laid by you in a port you don't control

An offensive minefield will have a significant probability of attacking any ship that enters the hex
A defensive minefield will "usually" ignore friendly ships and attack only enemy ships. usually

So far that's straight-forward.

BUT if you lay a defensive minefield in your port and then you lose control of the port it becomes an offensive minefield and will attack everybody

Now I THINK that if you lay an offensive minefield in an enemy port and then you seize control of the port, the minefield becomes defensive and friendly to you. But I am not certain of that

Also any minefield not in a port hex is automatically an offensive minefield.
AND there is some ambiguity about minefields you place in friendly dot hexes; some say the port (1 or greater) is essential and others say control is sufficient.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Mk 16 mine "is" one of yours.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Mines don't attack anything. Ships blunder into them. It appears that if you lay a minefield in a hex you control it may take up to a week before your shipping understands where the lanes are. I base this in part on my own experience but also the experience of others. Do not lay a minefield in an area of operations of any sort or you may be sorry. One reason you might want to create a minefield in a hurry could be you're expecting an enemy surface TF to bombard or interdict. The problem with that, in my experience, is that such surface TFs almost never blunder into minefields when performing bombardment or surface action TF missions, they are too far out to sea. Minefields are useful against amphibious landing TFs but otherwise it's pretty spotty. Don't lay minefields in hexes you expect to have any shipping enter or pass through until it is a well established port in your control.

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

A small chance to hit your own minefield when it is in a hex that is not a base of yours. Slight but it happens.

Crsutton, do you mean any non-base hex? As Allies, I have hit my own minefields several times in a non-base shallow water hex adjacent to Allied-owned Palembang. Very frustrating. Then I moved some AMc there and some turns later I saw a message saying to the likes of " AMc X traced a path in the minefield".

The above never happens in base hexes though.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yeah, never hit one of my own mines in my own base. But my understanding is that an ACM (tender) will on occasion blow up. Don't know if that translates into other ships. I have yet to see it.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
postfux

Post by postfux »

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Didnt have any further problems after base changed sides. One japanese CL made it on the sunk list thanks to a Mk 16, that evens things out a bit.

Are bombrdement TFs more in danger of running at a mine the more the close in?
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I have not posted this for a couple of years, seems appropriate now. This in a small museum in southern Maryland.

Attachments
mk16.jpg
mk16.jpg (176.54 KiB) Viewed 81 times
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

Attachments
mk162.jpg
mk162.jpg (143.77 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I have had the distinct misfortune of a mine layer striking a mine while it was laying the minefield, in a hex that didn't have a previous minefield, and was never enemy controlled. It could only happen to me. [8|]

I guess there is the possibility of it having been a sub laid minefield that wasn't detected, but I don't think it was.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”