Who is playing BaB?

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: Gil R., ericbabe

Blind Sniper

Who is playing BaB?

Post by Blind Sniper »

It seems there are few MP games ongoing, only 11 topics in the Oppenent Wanted section.

Do you fight against the AI or simply few players around?
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
jhdeerslayer

RE: Who is playing BaB?

Post by jhdeerslayer »

I'm relatively new and just playing against the AI for now. Some games just seem to have quiet forums and not sure why. Look at WITE and WITW for example. Big difference. Maybe the scope or tactical options in the game drives the traffic.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Multiplayer and indeed the forum doesn't seem to have generated the interest which the game deserves but hopefully the next release in the series will provide a relaunch opportunity and so expand the player community to provide for more available opponents. There are planned to be more big battles which makes sense as the 2 player Manassas has proved the most challenging and popular (In addition there is a 2 player Williamsburg 2 day battle out for beta testing). Apparently a multiplayer patch is being readied but its release will be dependent on what is included in the next BAB.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i only play the AI
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Look at WITE and WITW for example. Big difference. Maybe the scope or tactical options in the game drives the traffic.

Oh well, WitW is boring after few plays (we will see with the new realese), WitE is decisively more varied.
There are planned to be more big battles which makes sense as the 2 player Manassas has proved the most challenging and popular (In addition there is a 2 player Williamsburg 2 day battle out for beta testing).

I like these battles too, fight Gettysburg will be daunting!
i only play the AI

Never bored to fight the same tactics?
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

no not really, as the statics change if you make them go different way, so it's a different fight, was upto 200+ battles when i beta tested it, now over 500+ fought but gave up counting tbh ages ago.

i mod my own maps and troops, so that adds to the length of time i can enjoy it, but without it, there's years in this game, it just all depends on you willing to try new stuff, as it's time, spend time on learning the game, learning how it works, then how to get around stuff, different plans, going in different directions get different results, don't follow history always, make your own...

most of all, play it your way and enjoy it
kennonlightfoot

Post by kennonlightfoot »

In the process of moving to new house in October so keeping my game commitment to a minimum. Hopefully sometime in November I can put some challenges out there. Game does need some major battle scenarios besides First Manassas. Hopefully Second Manassas isn't to far in the future.
Kennon
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

i only play the AI

Yeah and Zakblood's own intelligence is also artificial.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

tis true

01001001 00100000 01100001 01101101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100010 01101111 01110100
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Echoing what's written above, the forum has indeed been quieter than we'd hoped, which is a sign of a relatively small community. But it is indeed our hope (and expectation) that the next two releases, both devoted to major battles and both quite likely to appear next year, will get the joint jumping a bit more.

In the meantime, perhaps there will be more people willing to try these smaller battles, each of which is quite interesting, and each of which is fought on some very interesting terrain.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I only play vs the AI and the game is pretty solid in single player mode. I'm looking forward to the next battles.

Thanks
Rick
barkhorn45

Post by barkhorn45 »

I know it probably sounds silly but i stopped playing because of the screen.
The unit info box on bottom left takes up alot of screen size and when multiple commands present
really restricts the view.
If it could be slid down like the dc campaigns game it would help,
or if when you click on an empty hex it disappears.
A lot of the info you need appears when you hover over a hex.
Just my opinion but enough that i have'nt played in month's.
RobearGWJ

Post by RobearGWJ »

I still enjoy the game and play exclusively against the AI. I read the forums occasionally, but I'm quiet because I'm happy. :-)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

that's good to hear, glad you enjoy it, same as me[&o]
jimi3

Post by jimi3 »

I agree that you might be hitting a smaller community with these battles. I think you have the serious Civil War students on board. I have always toured the eastern battlefields. As a direct result of BaB, I traveled to Mill Springs in June. Actually pretty close to Michigan off I-75. Didn't know much about Kentucky battles until then. Mill Springs is a great battlefield to interpret. As always, you have to see the terrain. Terrain is such a key to this one and you handled it very well. I just got back from Perryville. I would love to see that battle in a future release !!! Also AI only for me.
Cheers, Jim
oldspec4

Post by oldspec4 »

ORIGINAL: jimi3

I agree that you might be hitting a smaller community with these battles. I think you have the serious Civil War students on board. I have always toured the eastern battlefields. As a direct result of BaB, I traveled to Mill Springs in June. Actually pretty close to Michigan off I-75. Didn't know much about Kentucky battles until then. Mill Springs is a great battlefield to interpret. As always, you have to see the terrain. Terrain is such a key to this one and you handled it very well. I just got back from Perryville. I would love to see that battle in a future release !!! Also AI only for me.

+1 on the terrain comments. Have visited many major and obscure battlefields (some multiple times) in both the western and eastern theatres. IMHO, walking the terrain substantially increases the understanding of any battlefield. Btw, also visited Perryville (2nd time there), Mill Springs, and Richmond, KY in August.

AI only for me too.
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Echoing what's written above, the forum has indeed been quieter than we'd hoped, which is a sign of a relatively small community. But it is indeed our hope (and expectation) that the next two releases, both devoted to major battles and both quite likely to appear next year, will get the joint jumping a bit more.

In the meantime, perhaps there will be more people willing to try these smaller battles, each of which is quite interesting, and each of which is fought on some very interesting terrain.

I would be one of those waiting for bigger battles to enter in. Gettyburg anyone?[;)]
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

I generally play the AI - real life commitments make me too unreliable for 2 player.

I know a lot of posters want a BvB Gettysburg but to be honest I'm a bit jaded with that - very tacttical level civil wargame seems to focus on Gettysburg and ignores the host of smaller battles that make up the bulk of the war. Bv B also benefits from the designers obvious love and interest in the period - the research and detail of the individual units is excellent. My 2 cents worth - I'd be happy to see more smaller less famous battles in any future updates.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

^^ agreed, i also think the smaller ones would be more interesting as well, not only the biggest
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: jimi3

As I think I've written elsewhere, our thinking was that we should start with these particular battles both because it is thematically appealing to have the first release be about the first battles AND it made sense to start with smaller battles so that we could get any kinks worked out of the system before moving on to giant battles. The unfortunate result has been a (perhaps predictable?) lack of enthusiasm for the relatively obscure battles. But, of course, each of these battles is quite interesting, even if some are on the small side.

That's pretty cool that you went to Mill Springs, which is indeed relatively easy to reach if one is coming down I-75. I'm glad that what you saw matches our maps!

As for Perryville, it's definitely one that we hope to do, but whereas it would have been in BAB#3, now that we have changed our release schedule it would be in BAB#4 or #5. So the wait is going to be 2+ years. (I have not visited Perryville yet, but look forward to it. I do highly recommend Fort Donelson, which is a beautiful site, located as it is above a river. Both a history and nature hike rolled into one.)

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”