Considering purchase

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
tinfig

Considering purchase

Post by tinfig »

Hello all,

I've had my eye on this game for a while and am seriously considering purchasing it. Perhaps those of you who have played it can address some of the questions I have about it.

- I was able to find several reviews of this game and they were all very positive! But based on the forum activity it doesn't appear to have "caught on". Any ideas why?

- I'm primarily interested in playing as the allies against the AI. Could the performance of a German AI be described as a cut above what we're used to seeing in most single player games? And if I decide to play as the Germans, does the AI perform credibly on the attack?

- Does this game run OK on Windows 10?

Thanks in advance for any info!
SMK-at-work

RE: Considering purchase

Post by SMK-at-work »

The mechanisms are superb - but it's a "one campaign" game with limited replayability IMO. So I played it solid for about 2-3 months......but now it sits unloved :(

I've only ever played against het AI as both sides - the AI is better than most IMO....which means it isn't nearly as good as a human might be!
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
tinfig

Post by tinfig »

SMK, thank you for your post! I tend to bounce from game to game, so the "one campaign" isn't likely to get stale for me for a while. And I am encouraged by what you say about the AI.

But I am still on the fence. If anyone else has any comments I am all ears...
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

ORIGINAL: tinfig

SMK, thank you for your post! I tend to bounce from game to game, so the "one campaign" isn't likely to get stale for me for a while. And I am encouraged by what you say about the AI.

It is a theatre of World War II that hasn't been done to death!
Richard
tinfig

Post by tinfig »

ORIGINAL: cataphract88

It is a theatre of World War II that hasn't been done to death!

True...focusing on the Italian theater is to me a big plus.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

The WEGO turn system is priceless, it adds a level of uncertainty and realism not available in many games. You set the moves you would like your units to make, but movement for both sides is resolved simultaneously and potential enemy actions must be considered with your strategy. The enemy may not sit dumb, as with so many other games, while you get to complete your whole move and your units may not achieve the actions you intend.

It is different style of game from shoveling dozens of units around the map, the scale the Italian Campaign is smaller than most, but it does require some planning and thought with the PFE game system.

The map mod from Chemkid is easy to apply and transforms the game's appearance (the original map is a bit basic), it can now look as good as it plays.

Map here: tm.asp?m=3820441

Unit counters can also be improved with a mod.

Unit counters here: tm.asp?m=3818611

PFE is working OK in 'Windows 10'.

As with most games the forum winds up to more activity with updates and changes, the development of this game has been ongoing with most major issues dealt with. Interest will spark if the game system can be extended to other campaigns and the clue is in the game files, which have scenario slots prepared for France 1943/44 (including Invasion) and Tunisia. We live in hope that these slots may be filled.

The same developer has issued 'Campaigns on the Danube', also in WEGO, and attention has been there, producing updates for that game. It seems to be a solo effort and things have gone quiet on both games, I hope this is only temporary and that both games will receive further attention.

The Allies have the initiative in this campaign and it is best to allow the AI to play Axis. The AI is limited as with most computer games, but can be kept in its comfort zone with some self imposed house rules. The Axis AI overreacts to further Allied landings after initial invasions have taken place, so don't use them if you want to keep an historical game.

I am experimenting with airborne units only landing with partial supply levels (don't allocate high supply), as actual airborne landings were never fully supplied. The whole point about paratroops is that they are travelling light and lightly armed, until supported by ground units. Once within the normal ground supply net, paratroops become powerful units and can be provided with full supply levels, if it's available.

All-in-all a nice package and, if you want to 'bounce' between games, this one will not take forever to play leaving time for other things. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
tinfig

Post by tinfig »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

The WEGO turn system is priceless, it adds a level of uncertainty and realism not available in many games. You set the moves you would like your units to make, but movement for both sides is resolved simultaneously and potential enemy actions must be considered with your strategy. The enemy may not sit dumb, as with so many other games, while you get to complete your whole move and your units may not achieve the actions you intend.

It is different style of game from shoveling dozens of units around the map, the scale the Italian Campaign is smaller than most, but it does require some planning and thought with the PFE game system.

The map mod from Chemkid is easy to apply and transforms the game's appearance (the original map is a bit basic), it can now look as good as it plays.

Map here: tm.asp?m=3820441

Unit counters can also be improved with a mod.

Unit counters here: tm.asp?m=3818611

PFE is working OK in 'Windows 10'.

As with most games the forum winds up to more activity with updates and changes, the development of this game has been ongoing with most major issues dealt with. Interest will spark if the game system can be extended to other campaigns and the clue is in the game files, which have scenario slots prepared for France 1943/44 (including Invasion) and Tunisia. We live in hope that these slots may be filled.

The same developer has issued 'Campaigns on the Danube', also in WEGO, and attention has been there, producing updates for that game. It seems to be a solo effort and things have gone quiet on both games, I hope this is only temporary and that both games will receive further attention.

The Allies have the initiative in this campaign and it is best to allow the AI to play Axis. The AI is limited as with most computer games, but can be kept in its comfort zone with some self imposed house rules. The Axis AI overreacts to further Allied landings after initial invasions have taken place, so don't use them if you want to keep an historical game.

I am experimenting with airborne units only landing with partial supply levels (don't allocate high supply), as actual airborne landings were never fully supplied. The whole point about paratroops is that they are travelling light and lightly armed, until supported by ground units. Once within the normal ground supply net, paratroops become powerful units and can be provided with full supply levels, if it's available.

All-in-all a nice package and, if you want to 'bounce' between games, this one will not take forever to play leaving time for other things. [:)]

Rasputitsa, my sincere thanks for your useful and informative post! You haven't just nudged me towards purchase; you've pushed me clean across the line. [:)]

I really like your house rule ideas. And yes, the mods by Chemkid look fantastic. I'll be sure to use them. (Chemkid, if you're reading this....thanks!!!)
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Rasputitsa, my sincere thanks for your useful and informative post! You haven't just nudged me towards purchase; you've pushed me clean across the line. [:)]

I really like your house rule ideas. And yes, the mods by Chemkid look fantastic. I'll be sure to use them. (Chemkid, if you're reading this....thanks!!!)

Glad it helped, sent PM with some more info. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”