Ship retrofit sometimes stuck on auto

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

jacozilla

Ship retrofit sometimes stuck on auto

Post by jacozilla »

For the most part, I'd say in the dozen or so full games I've played since starting DW few week back, once I learned how to do automated ship design but control the ones I want, the hybrid system worked well.

As the posts have said, I would leave in policy the ship design to fully automate (only choice between fully automate and control manual, no suggestions here as option) - but under the list of designs I would uncheck all the ones that I wanted to design myself and not have AI override them.

This would then be reflected in the Designs screen where for ships / bases / etc - I would see for Upgrade it is not listed as Manual (vs automatic). This part has always and still works fine - once I set that sucker on manual either in the policy screen or click it myself here on the Design screen, once the design is set to manual, the AI never overrides it with new generation design.

The problem is, I just have a game now - the first in that dozen or so full games I played - where somehow it's stuck on auto Retrofit - despite all my designs other than a very few are set to retrofit Automatic.

On the design screen, I have checked to Manual retrofit every design for ships other than explorers/constructors, and every base other than resort.

The super odd thing is, when the adviser suggestion pops up asking if I want a retrofit for whatever new tech was unlocked, and I say yes - it then retrofits everything - like every single thing - including every design I checked and still see marked as manual for retrofit. All my non-fleet and fleet units moves as one massive blob to retrofit. So not good.

I thought something got stuck so I tried flipping policy setting to full manual, let game run, then flip it back to automatic (with again only a few classes marked as automatic for retrofit) - that did nothing. So then I unchecked every design to be manual retrofit - and still it did this auto retrofit even with every design marked manual retrofit. I thought it got confused somehow and even if just 1 design was left automatic, it would do this. But nope - even on all designs marked manual for retrofit, it would still do this.

The only way I could turn it off was under then police setting, change the setting so adviser prompt never comes up by changing ship design from auto to full manual.

Again, want to note that the hybrid system of auto design but I control classes I want for design, and most ships marked manual for retrofit and only a few automatic, worked fine. When adviser would prompt, and I said yes - only the ship designs marked for automatic retrofit would do so.

But it seems every now and then, somehow the game gets stuck on full automatic. One out of dozen chance isn't bad, but basically it kinda makes large empire management for my play style bit overwhelming because now I have to manually retrofit everything - and there's no easy way to do that in ships screen when you have mixed classes, mixed generations, mixed ships of conquered race, some ships being retired for tech, etc.

It's hunt and peck retrofitting, vs the automation which when it works is great - it leaves ships that were on a mission alone, and only retrofits ships as they come off mission. Wish even on manual mode there was a setting that you could click that just said - retrofit all of X class when current mission finished. And give you a screen with say one button to click next to each class - so that you could either retrofit a class at a time, or however you want (After the ships come off mission like automated mode does)
Bingeling

RE: Ship retrofit sometimes stuck on auto

Post by Bingeling »

Are you sure that the AI retrofit suggestion ever respected the manual retrofit thing?
jacozilla

RE: Ship retrofit sometimes stuck on auto

Post by jacozilla »

Hmmm, well I thought it did. A dozen games isn't a lot compared to something I know back and forwards, say like 2.5k hours in Civ 5 over the many years.

But I thought the hybrid auto for some but not the manual ones I tagged as manual was working before. But then again, now that you mention it, maybe i just didn't have any new designs in place yet.

will have to test that in my next game

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”