Can ships be attacked in hyper?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

jacozilla

Can ships be attacked in hyper?

Post by jacozilla »

Or put another way - if you have faster hyper drive speeds to 'catch up' - can you intercept and attack a moving target in deep space at hyper speed?

I see pirate constructors or other single ships my long range scanners pick up, but cant seem to attack them. I right click for attack but my ships just go to the last spot the moving target was formerly at, not chase down the ship.

Is hyper space intercepts possible in DW? Or only able to fight once both ships are out of hyper?
Bingeling

RE: Can ships be attacked in hyper?

Post by Bingeling »

No, it is not possible to attack ships in hyperspace. If you know where the enemy is going, and you are faster, you can wait for him at the other end.

There is also some gravity well stuff late in the tech tree, but that is not relevant in this case.
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

Technically yes... in practice, no.

IF you can manage to land a ship to intercept at precisely the right spot and turn a warp interdictor and the target ship's path just happens to go through that relatively tiny area of space, then yeah you'll stop them and attack them.

Actually making that happen, of course, requires nothing short of a miracle. I think I've managed to do it once, and the enemy was out of fuel & using warp precursors, so their speed was only about 650 or so.

Addendum: I see no reason why a modder could not make a warp interdictor with a vast range, able to blanket an entire star system. Such a system would be far more likely to trap a passing ship than vanilla versions.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

The easiest way to intercept ships in hyper without an inhibitor is to follow behind them to their destination then stop the fleet once you pass them up. This will make sure they pass right over your stopped ships and can be fired upon as they zip by. Whether you kill them or not will depend on how much damage your weapons are putting out vs their overall health pool but it can repeated if needed. You can do the same for ships or fleets off a direct line from yours but as the previous poster said you will have to drop them out of hyper at a spot they pass right over your ships which can be done reasonably well if you have a big enough blob of them.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
jacozilla

Post by jacozilla »

well, darn. Guess I'll play around with that gravity tech that interrupts warp, but so far the red circle of influence is not much more than about missile range around whatever base I put it on.

I had this thought I would make resupply ships with it, and park resupply ships everywhere in warp lanes and pull pirates out, but no dice. I guess that device is more to protect your bases for little more response time if your fleet is a system away.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

For pirates it's ultimately down to killing off their construction yards and then attritioning off the leftovers so seed monitoring stations in areas you suspect pirate activity and then attack the bases and catch constructors after they leave hyper and start building.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
artuitus_slith

Post by artuitus_slith »

Proximity scanners on at least on of your ships combined with LRS means you can click 'attack target' and there is a chance the fleet will follow the enemy (or even overtake them with faster hyper drives) to their destination.

I recently had what I am assuming is a 'legendary' pirate spawn and wreck havoc on my newly captured territory-A couple of capital ships, a pair of carriers, cruisers and dessies all with advanced tech. I couldn't catch them-every time I went to where they were heading I'd land just before/after they blasted the target and left again to somewhere else. In desperation I decided to add one of my 'scout' exploration ships to the fleet with both an LRS and proximity scanner onboard and it worked perfectly-my guys started just behind the enemy fleet, overtook them and then destroyed them in a pitched battle. Lesson learned-from now on all of my fleets (defense fleet too) will get an LRS equipped scout with proximity scanners.

Edit-note this still isn't the same as 'engaging in hyperspace' but it will help your issue
jacozilla

Post by jacozilla »

Oh thats good to know. So if the prox array triggers, when you right click on a moving hyper target your fleet actually dollows or goes ahead to destination?

How do you know when you right click to attack that it will be a successful pursuit vs just go to where the right click contact point was? (E.g. How do you know when you right click to send fleet, that prox scanner worked to allow pursuit vs just go to last location?
artuitus_slith

Post by artuitus_slith »

they will adjust their route 'on the fly' as they chase down the enemy fleet. It is obvious, you can't miss it. instead of headed to where the enemy was they will constantly update to where he is and/or is going.
jacozilla

Post by jacozilla »

Excellent. Time for me to make my explorers into pirate scouts.
Serenitis

Post by Serenitis »

You can technically attack ships in transit without an interdictor.
If you can put a fleet in the path of some ships in hyper and slow time down as they approach you can order the fleet to attack the ships as they fly by, if you time it right the shots will connect.
Most ships will ignore this and carry on flying, but sometimes they will drop out of hyper to fight, and then other ships will stop to help them etc etc.

Not at all a reliable or effective tactic, more like a fun quirk of AI ship behaviour.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”