New Public Beta v2.0.2.3 for WiF

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Andrew Loveridge

New Public Beta v2.0.2.3 for WiF

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

Hi Everyone,

The next public beta for World in Flames (v2.0.2.3) is now available in the Members Club

Please check it out and note any new issues with the listed changes.

Change History:
Version 2.0.2.3 – October 15, 2015
    Setup[/b] [ul]
  • Added a check to avoid a fatal error when setting up the Northern Ireland territorial unit at the start of the Global War scenario.
  • Modified some of the background colors for the Start a New Game form so the labels are easier to read. This change was necessary because the conversion to Delphi XE8 messed up the colors that were displayed using Delphi 2010.
Trade
  • Made the New Trade Agreement form “Stay on Top” so it isn’t hidden behind the Lending form.
  • Added a check to avoid a non-fatal error when closing the New Trade form without having specified the details of the trade.
DOW
  • Fixed a problem with the USSR claiming Bessarabia and the Finnish Borderlands.
  • Added some checks to avoid a fatal error if the DOW Minors form was closed while the decision about whether to allow a USSR claim on Bessarabia or the Finnish Borderlands was being made.

Air Operations
  • Fixed a problem with applying Anti-Aircraft Fire reductions for all 8 air missions.
  • Fixed a problem with Anti-Aircraft Fire halting the game when playing head-2-head. This problem had been newly introduced by changes for NetPlay. Also corrected a problem with the announcement to switch sides sometimes being wrong for Anti-Aircraft Fire when playing head-2-head.
  • Fixed a problem with the Commonwealth being unable to rebase carrier air units in a port once they had zero air activities available. The problem had to do with not checking if any the Commonwealth member nations (e.g., United Kingdom, Canada) had units that could rebase for free.
  • Revised code to properly execute the Air Transport mission when the ATR starts in a different hex and flies to another hex where it loads a unit as cargo. Previously the ATR was able to continue moving after picking up cargo in a different hex. Now it must stop in the hex where it picks up cargo and can only move again in the return to base subphase of the Air Transport phase.

Naval Operations
  • Enabled aborting the first naval group placed in the naval abort queue for a non-interception naval combat.
  • Removed the first occurrence of the message about no enemy bombers during naval air combat. The first time the message appeared was during Anti-Aircraft Fire. Now it only appears when the naval air units bomb the enemy naval units.
  • At the beginning of the Stay at Sea phases, added code to clear the Interception flag for units that had intercepted in the previous impulse - so they can longer intercept (because they are disprganized).
  • Added a new variable for the return to base phases to keep track of which major powers have only units on sentry duty that can return to base. This enables those major powers to return some or all of those units on sentry duty to base, or to simply click on the end-of-phase button, since those units can legally stay at sea. Note that if a major power has non-sentry units that have to return to base during those phases, then the end-of-phase button is disabled until all the non-sentry units have been returned to base.
Land Operations
  • Fixed a rare problem with land movement where sometimes a non-fatal error would occur.
Production
  • Fixed a problem with ‘collecting’ build points from the map using the Saved Build Points form where it was possible to collect a build point without reducing the number build points in the hex.
  • Changed the processing sequence for the end of the Production phase so newly saved oil points appear on the map.
  • Added a conditional statement so red factories are not automatically repaired at the beginning of the Production phase when there is a friendly engineer in the hex - when the optional rule Construction Engineers is being used. Instead, any damaged red factory with an engineer in the hex is displayed in the Production form with the row heading Factory Repair. Then 4 Build Points need to be spent to repair the factory and it doesn’t get repaired for 2 turns.
  • Fixed the problem with repairing factories: both those that had merely been captured and those that had been damaged. The former are automatically repaired immediately upon being recaptured unless playing with the optional rule Construction Engineers. In the latter case, an engineer unit has to be in the factory hex during the Production phase for the factory to become usable again (no build point cost). Damaged factories have to be repaired using build points and become usable again 2 turns later (e.g., repaired at the end of the Jan/Feb turn makes them available for production in May/June).
Peace
  • Fixed a problem with a non-fatal error when France is completely conquered and a Territorial unit from New Caledonia is on the map. The unit is now moved to the Force Pool if New Caledonia becomes a neutral minor country.
  • Added a check for the conquest of Denmark if the US has already claimed Greenland and Iceland, so those countries remained controlled by the US - instead of becoming neutral.
  • Fixed a problem when collapsing Vichy France with changing hex control within Metropolitan Vichy France if the major power collapsing Vichy France is not the same as the major power that installed Vichy France.
  • Fixed a problem with creating Vichy France where French units (on and off map) were not being processed.
Other
  • Fixed a Foreign Troop Commitment problem with territories controlled by a major power counting as being part of their home countries. For instance, placing Commonwealth convoys in Martinique (controlled by France) had mistakenly been counted as Commonwealth units in France proper.
  • Added a line of code so the End-of-Phase button is enabled for the Factory Destruction phase even when no factories can be destroyed. This can occur when restoring a saved game from that phase of the game.
  • Added a check to avoid a fatal error when checking for overseas supply paths.
  • Added some checks for empty hex stacks on the map to avoid non-fatal errors.
Quit Game
  • Modified how copies of hex lists for moving stacks are created so each list is separate. Previously, some of the lists were being used by multiple variables and this could generate a fatal error when the game was terminated and a second attempt was made to delete a list (i.e., remove it from memory).
  • Added a check to avoid a non-fatal error when quitting a game in the middle of an air-to-air combat.
  • Added a check to avoid a non-fatal error when quitting a game in the middle of viewing the results of an air mission (i.e., bombing factors arriving on target).
  • Added a check to avoid a non-fatal error when quitting the game during Strategic Bombing and the form showing the results of the air bombardment is visible.
Cosmetic
  • Removed a duplicate message about Damage Points = 0 on the Assign Losses due to Anti-Aircraft Fire form.
  • Removed the X Close button from the top right corner of the Initiative and Move First forms.
  • Removed a spurious message about overstacking when retreating units from a hex which had been invaded and therefore has 3 corps sized units present, one of which is an invading enemy corps.
  • Fixed several typos in tutorials #18 and #20.
  • Added the name of the location to the message about the hex (or sea area) where Anti-Aircraft Fire has no effect.
  • Changed the message for the attacker taking losses in land combat so the text “invading units” is only added when there are actually invading units taking losses.
  • Enabled the flags in the Main form correctly for the major powers still moving during the Land Movement phase after the USSR claims the Baltic States.
NetPlay
    Anti-Aircraft Fire [/b] [ul]
  • Fixed a problem with Port Attack Anti-Aircraft Fire halting the game.
  • Enabled processing Anti-Aircraft Fire for naval combats.
  • Added text to inform the side firing AA units what the total damage points were from the Anti-Aircraft Fire .
  • Fixed a problem with divisional AA units not getting disorganized on the phasing side’s computer after land combat resolution has been completed for all combats.
  • Modified the processing sequence for Anti-Aircraft Fire for all 8 air missions to correctly process aborting bomber digressions due to Anti-Aircraft Fire . This also corrects a potentially similar problem in head-to-head games.
  • Fixed a problem with aborting an air unit due to Anti-Aircraft Fire where the players not aborting the air unit terminated the digression prematurely.
  • Added text so both sides see what the die rolls are for Anti-Aircraft Fire.
  • Fixed a problem with the Anti-Aircraft Fire Results form being shown prematurely - before the die rolls had been made.
  • Fixed the problem with the game halting during application of Anti-Aircraft Fire Results on the computer not flying bombers.
Naval Operations
  • Fixed a problem with the program halting when the Phasing side decided to not select any sea areas for naval combat.
  • Eliminated non-fatal Mad Except errors when moving units during Naval Combat Abort.
  • Eliminated a redundant second request for the non-initiating player in a naval combat to decide whether to abort or stay once a naval combat finishes.
  • Eliminated a redundant second call to advance to the Abort/Stay subphase for the Defending side.
  • Made dozens of changes to insure that the Axis player continues processing GRLs (game record logs) it receives from the
  • Allied computer during naval combats.
  • Eliminated a redundant second call to change to the Choose Naval Combat Type subphase.
  • Added code to prevent the non-phasing side from selecting sea areas during the Phasing Side’s Naval Combat phase (and likewise for the phasing side during Non-phasing Side’s Naval Combat).
  • Fixed a problem with terminating a naval combat phase when a naval combat had resulted in multiple groups of units in the naval abort queue.
Surprise Points
  • Added code for the players not deciding about Surprise Points so they can receive the GRL from the player who is deciding.
  • Fixed a problem with the spend surprise points form being shown to both players, instead of just to the side which was awarded surprise points.
  • Fixed a problem with using Surprise Points for selecting a target unit in a Port Attack or Naval Combat causing the program to halt when there are additional losses to be assigned by the player who did not receive surprise points.
Other
  • Eliminated a bug that was causing the Weather Report to flash repeatedly.
  • Fixed a problem in the Initiative phase where the incorrect side was asked to decide which side moves first in a turn.
  • Fixed a problem in Barbarossa (and possibly Guadalcanal) where factories in Belgium, The Netherlands, and Yugoslavia were being considered ‘captured’ and placed in the Reserve Pool. That was causing the Axis and Allied computers to become misaligned as to unit numbers for convoys, oil points, and forts.
  • Fixed a problem with saving build points after production where the number of build points on the “other player’s computer” showed an extra build point. This could lead to an overstacked digression problem later.
  • Made the standardization of the processing of the end-of-turn phases (e.g., Conquest, Vichy, Liberation, Surrender) more rigorous so the program flows through all of the end-of-turn phases keeping all computers synchronized as to what the current phase is.
  • Added a text message when the connection to the NetPlay forum is lost. This replaces a MadExcept error message.
[/ul][/ul]
Erik Rutins

RE: New Public Beta v2.0.2.3 for WiF

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

This public beta is a big deal as far as NetPlay progress goes.

We would appreciate for any who are willing that you give NetPlay a try against your favorite opponent and let us know how it goes. I'd suggest starting with a smaller scenario, but please let us know of any issues you encounter.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
CanInf

Post by CanInf »

One minute after work, in car. Two minutes after work, beer bought. Three minutes, parking. Four minutes, loading new version. Five minutes, flame on.
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

Bill Wheatley and I plan to hit WiF net play hard over the next several months. We'll be be sure to file / document any bugs or other type of play issues we come across. IMO, Bill has one of the keenest eyes / 6th sense for finding bugs [8D]

thanks again for getting this latest version out.
- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
nilssone85

Post by nilssone85 »

Hi!
What is the timeline for a new official release? Or is it recomended that "everybody" should go to the Beta?
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Considering the number of issues fixed, I would use the beta. I know I am [:)]
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Considering the number of issues fixed, I would use the beta. I know I am [:)]
Public Beta 2.0.0.0 was basically unplayable. This one, on the other hand, is a significant improvement over everything that has gone before, certainly for solitaire. Actually, it is greatly improved for netplay, too, but I don't think it is quite there yet.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Titan

Post by Titan »

Hell I cant even get a response from my opponent as Russian when hes finished setting up...Just leaves me sitting there waiting ....even though hes pressed finished setup. Bought this game on release and cant even setup a Barbarossa Scenerio....and you say ay its not quite there yet???? I think this is a long way off from ever being a viable multiplyer game if it ever is.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Titan

Hell I cant even get a response from my opponent as Russian when hes finished setting up...Just leaves me sitting there waiting ....even though hes pressed finished setup. Bought this game on release and cant even setup a Barbarossa Scenerio....and you say ay its not quite there yet???? I think this is a long way off from ever being a viable multiplyer game if it ever is.
Is this anecdotal from a previous version or is this with version 2.0.2.3?
Paul
Titan

Post by Titan »

Hi Paul, this is version 1.4.5, which when I open WIF and check for latest update tells me I got the latest.

Cheers
gravyhair

Post by gravyhair »

Titan, you will need the new public beta to attempt NetPlay with any chance of success. FYI. (You can download it in the Members section once you've registered your game.)
Wise Men Still Seek Him
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Hi Paul, this is version 1.4.5, which when I open WIF and check for latest update tells me I got the latest.

Cheers
Yep. For some reason the game update thingy doesn't appear to work; or at least not for me either. You need to download it from the Member's Club. Click on "My games" in the right hand column and click on "Registered" for MWiF for the actual link.

That bit isn't very intuitive and has resulted in much foul language at my end because I always forget it every time I go to download a patch.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

When is the next official patch going to be released for the game?
Richard
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: cataphract88

It depends on the feedback on the public beta. Our normal routine these days is to let the customers who want to run the public beta do so for a couple of weeks, and if no new problems are reported, to make the public beta an official release.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Titan

Post by Titan »

Cool....Got the beta patch, Same rules as not to do anything in the naval phase so it don't crash?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Cheers
Yep. For some reason the game update thingy doesn't appear to work; or at least not for me either. You need to download it from the Member's Club. Click on "My games" in the right hand column and click on "Registered" for MWiF for the actual link.

That bit isn't very intuitive and has resulted in much foul language at my end because I always forget it every time I go to download a patch.

Cheers, Neilster
That's because the public beta is optional use. If it was released through the auto-update process, it wouldn't be optional.
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Cool....Got the beta patch, Same rules as not to do anything in the naval phase so it don't crash?
On our last NetPlay beta test we found a freeze if you moved surface naval units into a sea zone that already had enemy units that could intercept present within it.

So for now you should stick with Barbarossa. We had played a turn of Global War before hitting this issue, so there's been good progress.
Paul
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: cataphract88

It depends on the feedback on the public beta. Our normal routine these days is to let the customers who want to run the public beta do so for a couple of weeks, and if no new problems are reported, to make the public beta an official release.

Thank you for your reply, but there hasn't been an official patch since July.
Richard
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Admittedly I won't install it for now!
Gonna finish first my ongoing game with the 1.45 patch (or whatever is the number before the 2.00) and then I'll give it a go.

After the 2.00 bugged my previous game in 1943, I'd rather not start over. And in the while I hope more Optional Rules will be coded!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: Cohen

Admittedly I won't install it for now!
Gonna finish first my ongoing game with the 1.45 patch (or whatever is the number before the 2.00) and then I'll give it a go.

After the 2.00 bugged my previous game in 1943, I'd rather not start over. And in the while I hope more Optional Rules will be coded!
2.0.0.0 did not work. The 2.0.2.3 is better than any previous release out there.
I thought I knew how to play this game....

Return to “World in Flames”