Game Reinstallation ??

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

sjadow

Game Reinstallation ??

Post by sjadow »

I have the old War in the Pacific game installed on my old Windows XP system. I haven't played the game in ages but would like to start playing it again on my new Window-7 system. I have the old CD and of course the serial number. Can I reinstall under Windows-7 using the old CD from, what?, 2004? Can I download the game directly onto my Windows-7 system without having to use the old CD at all?

I know this is a bit off topic but am hoping someone can help me out. Thanks....
wdolson

RE: Game Reinstallation ??

Post by wdolson »

You will have to run some sort of installer on a new system to get the keys set in the registry. You can either use the CD, or the installer downloaded from the Matrix site. You should also be able to copy the files from the CD to your hard drive and run the installation. As long as your system has a CD/DVD drive, you should be able to install.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
sjadow

Post by sjadow »

Thanks -- Just to confirm: You believe the CD from 2004 that worked for Windows XP will likely work today for Windows-7???
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: sjadow

Thanks -- Just to confirm: You believe the CD from 2004 that worked for Windows XP will likely work today for Windows-7???
It should.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Can Windows 7 run compatibility mode with XP if there are any issues?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
sjadow

Post by sjadow »

One the game is installed, I will watn to update to the latest patch release. Can I simply download and install the latest patch version? ... or do I need to download them all and apply them in sequence? Thanks
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: sjadow

One the game is installed, I will watn to update to the latest patch release. Can I simply download and install the latest patch version? ... or do I need to download them all and apply them in sequence? Thanks
You will notice that the latest release is labeled "comprehensive" and maybe the file name even has "comp" or "comprehensive" in it somewhere. That is the signal that it brings in all updates up to that point. Most of the official releases have been comprehensive, but it pays to check like you are doing.

The rule of thumb is:

original installation + latest comprehensive update + any updates since then + (optional) any Beta updates since then.

So at this time you would have: original + latest comprehensive. If you want the latest Beta release you then install it on top of that.

Hope this is clear enough.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Guys, you do realise that the OP is referring to classical WITP, not AE.  He therefore has to install the old, classical WITP comprehensive patch.  IIRC the last patch (1.86) there was not comprehensive.

Alfred
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Guys, you do realise that the OP is referring to classical WITP, not AE.  He therefore has to install the old, classical WITP comprehensive patch.  IIRC the last patch (1.86) there was not comprehensive.

Alfred
The same motif applies. [:)]

Original + latest comprehensive (if any) + latest non-comprehensive (if any) + Beta (if any & if desired).

Return to “Tech Support”