too much to dream

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

charlie0311

too much to dream

Post by charlie0311 »

"Not ready to face the light"

Except, Matrix (Rutkins) decides 2.0 won't be released as in the case of 1.0. 2.0 will have been pvp vetted and we will all be amazed, dumfounded, tears will come to our eyes, the miracle will have happened. Heck, they will even have a way to stop reloading in PBEM.
Peltonx

RE: too much to dream

Post by Peltonx »

Hoping reloads are tracked much better with messages going out to the reloader.
The pulling the plug on then if they keep doing it.

No reason why # of saves can not be tracked with PBeM. I am sure some old hacker could put in a few lines of code to track something like that
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Was thinking maybe more fun if the game recorded the incident, then posted a screenshot with the reloaded combats flashing. I'm kinda mean that way :)
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Is reloading really happening that much? I sometimes play on a cranky old laptop when I'm travelling and had a few instances where my air card has issues and I lose connection. I got a few emails from Matrix and I had to explain things to them. I found it to be a major pain in the butt to redo stuff I cant imagine doing it on purpose.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Very easy and takes hardly any time.

Ex. You have set up your attack, then make a save, back to the game and see how the attack goes. The "reload" is to exit the game, go to save page, then reload your save.

I have done this many times to try to get a better idea on how to set up attacks that work.

Can't do this with server games. Don't know how much of a problem, still have seen many complaints and some guys won't play PBEM because of this.

STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

I recently played a "fair" opponent who admitted doing it up to 10 times per turn in order to achieve perfect encirclement.

Of course, as we played server games, he was banned during a week...

After this week over, he stopped reloading, his attacks stalled and he gaves up 10 turns after...

Maybe I would have preferred that cheating continued... each game is such a time investment!
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
VigaBrand

Post by VigaBrand »

How do you know, he was banned?
Did you get a message?
The main problem is, every single battle is rolling the dice. If you play with endless reloads (what everybody could do in PBEM) you can win every single (attack) battle, if you want.
The Leaders are unimportant for battle, because you can reload as often as your want, you can wait until a the dices favour you.
I play one PBEM against somebody (not against loki) and every week the soviet attacks only three times and it was every time a win. (some against all odds and with 2.04:1 or so).

loki100

Post by loki100 »

this can be incredibly informative in say a left hand-right hand game where you are trying something out.

something I'll do is to set up the attack I want to make, but first time skip air power. Run it 10 times, you'll get a feel for if you are very unlikely to win/unlikely to lose or if its in the range where extra factors and luck can play a role.

Then rethink the situation, if you'd paid some admin pts to clean up the command chain does that make a difference? Add pre-attack airpower... again does that change the pattern you see.

once I've exhausted that situation do it a final time 'for real', take the luck as it falls and play on.

All this I've found has helped my tactical play with an appreciation of what works and how to set things up.

This also helps understand where fow comes into play and gives you a rough clue where/when the on-map indication is either an under or over-estimate.

I realise the alt-cv game mode helps here but for reason I don't like playing that, perhaps as I've got too used to making mental adjustments.

Since I know the Soviet side better, I think there is a simple 'cheating/re-roll' test. Poor Soviet recon is built into the game engine, so I find that most turns I make at least one attack that once the situation is revealed I really wish I hadn't even bothered. This may not happen in mid-41 (too few attacks and those that are made are designed to work ... given the wider risks), but if there is a lot of activity (or a few isolated attacks) then you should see a pattern of these.

When I play the Germans, my main mistake is too many division-division attacks in 1941, its taken me a while to work out why that so often fails.

Also the luck element is substantial, I've just sent a turn back to vigabrand with one attack that succeeded when the best I was aiming for was a fort reduction and another that I was sure was a certain win (and would have trapped some of his Pzr/Mot divisions against a lake) but turned into a dismal flop (and the at-start cv estimates were accurate so its not the fow issue).
ORIGINAL: Pelton

No reason why # of saves can not be tracked with PBeM. I am sure some old hacker could put in a few lines of code to track something like that

Not sure this would help, I save obsessively as I have sometimes had turn crashes late into a turn. The game is very stable but it does happen. In my current PBEM I just had one, fortunately in a mud turn so it was easy enough to more or less replicate the original pattern. I just told vigabrand what had happened ... actually the original had been better as I'd hit a HQ (stacked with combat units) in the first version and generated a mass of destroyed artillery.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”