TF initiating surface combat, or not...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

stretch

TF initiating surface combat, or not...

Post by stretch »

Hi all,

Not complaining here, just trying to learn and google has failed me.

Sometimes I see the same TF report "Task Force ### encounters enemy Task Force at hex xx,xx" in the combat report 2 or 3 times in a turn without any combat, nor any further events related to it. Any insight as to what die rolls or other criteria lead to this? I'm wanting to learn how to minimize it. Bad leaders? Weather? Repeating the turn, sometimes combat does happen, so it must be roll related.

IJN AI had the Zuiho and 2 DD's off Midway, I raced out with 3 DDs. I end up in the correct hex and get combat 20% of the time.

p.s. never try to move a BB from Pearl to the West Coast with >60 float damage. Pumps fail, it sinks. Even replaying the turn it happens every time. Oops ! Should have searched the forum first :) I see 50% is considered safe.

Terminus

RE: TF initiating surface combat, or not...

Post by Terminus »

Leader stats, weather, detection levels, respective speeds of TFs... Carrier TFs will always try their best to evade surface combat. A surface battle where one side is an Air Combat TF is VERY rare.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: stretch

p.s. never try to move a BB from Pearl to the West Coast with >60 float damage. Pumps fail, it sinks. Even replaying the turn it happens every time. Oops ! Should have searched the forum first :) I see 50% is considered safe.

As a General rule of thumb, I don't move any BB's out of PH without fully repairing all system damage and getting the flotation and engine damage to a point where it makes sense to move them the distance to San Fran....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Also there must a visual sighting before surface combat will occur. Don't know if 'encounters' qualifies.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: stretch

You can, but:

No sys damage
cruise speed*
with at least 2xDD in TF
better if no minor flood damage

* I never move unless cruise speed is 2 hex/phase.
Pax
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

forcing cruise speed on a heavily damaged ship rather than letting it use mission speed can help it survive the trip without adding significantly more damage.

I typically get flotation down below 30 before switching shipyards.
Hans

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

The old American BBs come with very poor crew ratings and some of the commanders are suspect as well. Crew quality will sink a heavily damaged ship. That said I will move a American BB from Pearl with up to 80 flotation damage as long as I follow the advice given above. I have yet to lose one but came close. You almost have to move them. Those old BBs are useful but it is not the end of the world if one sinks and you need the shipyard at Pearl for more important matters. American subs generally have good crews and commanders. I have had subs with very heavy damage make it home on cruise speed with no problem.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”