Majority of Army is Guards Units for AI ?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

karmad

Majority of Army is Guards Units for AI ?

Post by karmad »

Playing one of my first campaigns vs AI, trying to get automatic German decisive victory using 1.08.04. I'm in May 1943 and the AI has gotten an insane amount of Guards units, like the majority of their military has turned to Guards status. When I checked their commanders report, most of their Guards rifle divisions have a 0/0 win/loss or 1/0, and some have more losses but still are all Guards. Not sure how this happened or is intended ? This change all happened during the winter, prior they only had handful of guard units. Thanks for any help or input.
Peltonx

RE: Majority of Army is Guards Units for AI ?

Post by Peltonx »

Sounds like a bug
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Also have Gds RD with 0 wins, AI game, me sov.
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

(

That could be airbourne inf units combined into guards div.
Acidman

Post by Acidman »

ORIGINAL: karmad

Playing one of my first campaigns vs AI, trying to get automatic German decisive victory using 1.08.04. I'm in May 1943 and the AI has gotten an insane amount of Guards units, like the majority of their military has turned to Guards status. When I checked their commanders report, most of their Guards rifle divisions have a 0/0 win/loss or 1/0, and some have more losses but still are all Guards. Not sure how this happened or is intended ? This change all happened during the winter, prior they only had handful of guard units. Thanks for any help or input.
How do one check the AI commander report? I didn't know I could "check out" the other side.

Playing all the way to '45 and not be able to look at the condition of the enemy the final turn is a little boring.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi Brian,

Formation Record

12 GdRd 1/2
13 GdRd 0/0
14 GdRd 0/0

and, from airb x

62 GdRd 0/0
63 GdRd 2/8
64 GdRd 0/0
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Acidman

How do one check the AI commander report? I didn't know I could "check out" the other side.

Playing all the way to '45 and not be able to look at the condition of the enemy the final turn is a little boring.

go to the set up screen and set both sides to human. Run your end turn as normal, you can then open the other sides turn when its ready (or any of the saved turns from earlier), just remember to flip it back to the AI once you are finished (you'll also need to rerun your end turn routine so that the AI picks up the turn).

same technique as if you are playing left hand-right hand (which can be a great way to test out very specific ideas)
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: BrianG
(

That could be airbourne inf units combined into guards div.

Not that many units
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
karmad

Post by karmad »

I figured it was a bug, but I wasn't sure this is my first time playing the full campaign. Here's some screens sorted by infantry: (can't directly link to screens, just copy and delete () around com)

i.imgur.(com)/ZUEotEh.png

i.imgur.(com)/zSMf2gw.png

i.imgur.(com)/YF7s3z9.png

As you can tell by the scroll bar how much of the majority of their forces are guards. Also note their extremely low TOE. I didn't notice this at first because I buckled down during the 42/43 winter when all this happened. But prior their regular rifle divisions/corps were close to 100% TOE, since the massive change to guards (which also increased the # of units), all their TOEs have nosedived in the transition to guards units. Not sure what triggered the bug or how it happened, not a big deal now cause this game I was just messing around trying to learn the ropes, but I don't want to start a new one and have this happen.
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

It is a design feature .

also, the AI is alowed to create units at no admin cost .
karmad

Post by karmad »

So this is working as designed or a bug ?

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”