New Turn-Based Battletech Game

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Ranger33

RE: New Turn-Based Battletech Game

Post by Ranger33 »

I checked with the boss and got the green light to go up to the $125 tier [:D] Battletech just might be my favorite sci-fi universe, so I don't mind tossing out some cash to support the first true BattleTech game in something like 15 years. Plus that banner is going to look awesome on the wall.

I also found this interview that has some interesting details: 7 Things You Should Know About the Game

MechWarriors gain skills and specializations over time, but can be wounded in battle or even killed permanently.
Mech customization goes deep. For example, you can tweak gyros such that a mech has a shorter turning radius, but is at greater risk of getting knocked over.
In the campaign you are the head of a fresh mercenary company, and must build up your resources and reputation. You have to work for minor players before getting hired by the big fish, and what missions you take, what objectives you accomplish, shape the story.
It's a tactical game first and foremost, but they want to include as many RPG and story elements as they can, which sounds amazing. I love their vision for this game.

Man, I'm really excited for this, but I'll stop bumping my own thread for now [:)]
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I'm in for $50, anyone wanna raise me? [:D]

Sure....

Attachments
IwillCUrraise.jpg
IwillCUrraise.jpg (171.25 KiB) Viewed 502 times
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

This is great news. One day, I hope to see a strategic level game of Battletech, say at regimental level.
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I'm in for $50, anyone wanna raise me? [:D]

Sure....

$315? So you've got the Jacket? We were discussing it in the office and although we don't like the few tiers in the lower values, we all want the jacket.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I think the jacket is pretty cool, but I don't think I would ever wear it. I live in an Air Force town so I might get some odd looks wearing an out of place flight jacket around. I suppose that means it's really well done that it looks so similar to a real one!
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

It's a tactical game first and foremost, but they want to include as many RPG and story elements as they can, which sounds amazing. I love their vision for this game.

I take quote from RPG rule book:
GREMLINS [CHARACTER]
Trait Type [TP Score]: Negative, Opposed [–3 TP]
“What the—? ‘Load Ammo Error?’ What does that even mean?
This is a Wolfhound!”
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

Looks like their daily rate is a steady 90-100k, which means that assuming the usual pattern of a steady decline followed by peak in the last 48 hours means they'll easily break the multiplayer stretch goal.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

I'm more interested in the third stage sub-levels.
And that definitely seems achievable. :)
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Oh yeah, they're practically there, and will get a big boost towards the end like most Kickstarters. I know from comments I've read that some people are holding out for the higher tiers before they commit. They are also looking to include add-ons like additional copies of the game and the physical stuff. Between all that I think we will see everything unlocked. So excited for this game.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

They don't plan using the tabletop rules and I've read lots of complaints about AI in Shadowrun, so I don't believe it's going to be a good game.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Tossed them a few ducats, looking forward to this. [8D]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

They don't plan using the tabletop rules and I've read lots of complaints about AI in Shadowrun, so I don't believe it's going to be a good game.

Where is your sources for this 'opinion' of yours??? Steam user reviews say otherwise; 70%, 86%, 90% and 93% positive for 4 titles is fantastic support overall. Since Jordan Weisman, the creator of BT, is working on this project I'm sure they will come close as they can to original tabletop rules. I believe they may simplify them some to make it more user friendly or streamlined.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Where is your sources for this 'opinion' of yours??? Steam user reviews say otherwise; 70%, 86%, 90% and 93% positive for 4 titles is fantastic support overall. Since Jordan Weisman, the creator of BT, is working on this project I'm sure they will come close as they can to original tabletop rules. I believe they may simplify them some to make it more user friendly or streamlined.

Which will be necessary to make it good. Based on the very satisfying experiences I've had ACTUALLY PLAYING the SR games, I'm quite confident that Battletech has a lot of potential to be very good, especially considering how much post-launch support Harebrained has given the SR games.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

a) all of the Shadowrun returns games are incredibly good. Also there are only 3 Harebrained games, that 70% average for Shadowrun Chronicles is by a different company.

b) The Mechwarrior rules actually aren't very good (as Weisman points out, there's too much instant death and Clan tech broke the game completely). They're building an entirely new rule system and that makes sense because it's 2015 and on a computer, not 1984 and a board game.

Everyone on board has a track record of success.

e: and yes, they've been very explicit on the Kickstarter that they're not taking any of the rules from Battletech, the ambition is to make a new game using Battletech as the spiritual foundation. Same deal as Firaxis did with XCOM.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Where is your sources for this 'opinion' of yours???
Better people than you.

Steam user reviews say otherwise; 70%, 86%, 90% and 93% positive for 4 titles is fantastic support overall.
Average Steam scores are irrelevant. Average Steam user would prefer League of Legends over Command Ops.

Since Jordan Weisman, the creator of BT, is working on this project I'm sure they will come close as they can to original tabletop rules.
No, they said they won't.

I believe they may simplify them some to make it more user friendly or streamlined.
It's not like the user has to roll any dice and do any calculations, so there's no value in simplifying rules.
If they are streamlining rules instead of making them more sophisticated, they are doing it wrong.
ORIGINAL: Alchenar

b) The Mechwarrior rules actually aren't very good (as Weisman points out, there's too much instant death
I can't believe I'm hearing it on a wargaming forum.
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

If you've watched the TwitchTV Q&A, they said that while the game may not follow the TT rules, they will follow the spirit. ISTR they gave an example of the AC/20 giving the same proportion of damage and a ppc giving off the same amount of heat. Does it matter if the mechanics are different but you would get the same result?
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Well, you can't please everyone. [:)]

If you want to stick with a 30 year old game system, it's still there, have at it. I think we will all be happy playing a fresh, new game combining the spirit of that system with modern game design. These guys have pumped out one critically acclaimed game after another, and you've got the guy who created BT in the first place at the helm. Just go read their interviews and you will see that this team is made up of people who grew up on BT and MechWarrior and have wanted a game like this to be made just as badly as anyone else out there.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Perturabo, you can't back up what you claim and you attack others who doubt your opinions. You sound like the classic case of a s#it house lawyer to me LOL.
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

I mean I'm happy to stand on the Battletech rules not actually being very good. There's a reason the game went though three iterations of balance point systems. Weisman himself admits that Clan Tech completely broke the game in a way they never worked out how to fix.

I wouldn't be paying money for something that MegaMek already does for free. I'm paying money for a new take on the same fundamental concepts.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Exactly. The Shadowrun Returns games aren't point-for-point rethreads of the PnP rules either. That's done for a reason.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Return to “General Discussion”