Really disappointed in this game

Scourge of War is the definitive American Civil War grand tactical wargame of this generation. With impressive 3D graphics, an award-winning AI, pausable real-time play, historical battlefield terrain and orders of battle down to the regiment and battery level, Scourge of War captures the tactical challenges that faced the real Union and Confederate commanders more than 130 years ago.

This forum covers the main game Gettysburg and its two expansions Antietam, Pipe Creek, and Chancellorsville!

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

JPFisher55

Really disappointed in this game

Post by JPFisher55 »

Recently, I bought Scourge of War: Gettysburg 150th Anniversary Edition from Matrix Games. I am very disappointed with my purchase for one reason, the control by the AI over the human player's forces.
I do not want an AI to control my forces. When I read about SOW: Waterloo's system for taking control from the AI, I liked that system. But it doesn't seem to exist in SOW: Gettysburg. Without it the game is not worth playing above the brigade level. Also, I dislike not being able to issue orders or do anything by scroll the map while the game is paused.

The graphics are great and the detail is excellent, but the game engine sucks for the above reasons. This game needs to by updated to the same command and control system used in SOW: Waterloo.

I have posted this issue and this post on the developers forum.
JPFisher55

RE: Really disappointed in this game

Post by JPFisher55 »

Please ignore this post. I found an update that largely resolves the issues mentioned above.
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

Well, I found the update, but it doesn't seem to work. So far I am disappointed with this game.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Pretty sure there is a way to "Take Command" of every unit on your side if you want, up to Army if you want to go that route. If you do, you best keep track of everyone or you will find some of them slaughtered after waiting in vain for your orders.

If given the right orders, the AI does a good job of maintaining your line as you concentrate on a critical sector.
simovitch

Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

Page 89 of the manual ...

Take Charge from AI This button gives you total command
over the selected commander or fighting unit.
Its advantage is that the selected commander or unit will do
exactly as you order. Its disadvantage is that, in micromanaging the selected
commander or unit, you may miss important developments in other parts
of the field. Also, if you take your eye off the selected commander or unit, it
will no longer move or protect itself by any means other than to wheel. To
unselect “Take Charge” and return the commander or unit to the AI, select
“Take Charge” again. When this button is selected, it will turn yellow, and
will persist until it is unselected for that commander or unit.
Note: Selecting and unselecting the “Take Charge from AI” function for
commanders and units may also be done by using the “1” and “2” keys.
artofwar85

Post by artofwar85 »

Yeah I have played this a lot and you can micro manage everything you need to have completely read the manual before implying in a question that it definitely is impossible to control the units. Panman's reply is exactly right. What actually is factual is that the AI is good and you can turn stuff over to the AI and control about 10 strings of men and move them around as you wish and fight your onwn separate battle in the midst of the huge battle.
There is a Peace that is only found at the other end of War.

Return to “Scourge of War Gettysburg Series”