New Zumwalt-Class Destroyer

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

New Zumwalt-Class Destroyer

Post by Footslogger »

Photos of the New Class of Destroyer.

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/next-gener ... -pictures/

robinsa

RE: New Zumwalt-Class Destroyer

Post by robinsa »

I hate to say this but I really think its a damn ugly ship. Maybe its the traditionalist in me, and maybe I will like it more once I get used to it, but right now I think it looks more like a sub than a surface vessel.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

It may be invisible to radar but unfortunately it's not invisible to our eyes [:D]
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

It reminds me more of the Merrimack.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

As the second (confederate) incarnation.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Dili

Post by Dili »

Destroyer at 15000t? That's an heavy cruiser violating Washington Treaty [:'(]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

As the second (confederate) incarnation.

There was only one USS Merrimack. The second version was the CSS Virginia.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: robinsa

I hate to say this but I really think its a damn ugly ship. Maybe its the traditionalist in me, and maybe I will like it more once I get used to it, but right now I think it looks more like a sub than a surface vessel.

It's the traditionalist in you. Only matters how well she fights.
The Moose
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Consider her protype/developmental concept. They'll stop production at three (Like they did with Seawolf) and if the design features work out they'll incorporate them unto either the next class of ships , or possibly back fit them into existing classes. The next class might be a "Zumwalt lite" as the Virgina class subs were a "Seawolf lite". I'd much rather see the Navy building 1-3 of a test bed than a whole class and find it doesn't work. Navies and national defense should evolutionary , NOT revolutionary. It's just too important. [:)]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

If we built warships on beauty alone we'd still be fighting with sailing ships. [:D]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

If we built warships on beauty alone we'd still be fighting with sailing ships. [:D]
warspite1

Or better still, re-making the Queen Elizabeth-class battleships (late thirties re-build stylee).... [;)]

Attachments
1faclg.jpg
1faclg.jpg (55.81 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Consider her protype/developmental concept. They'll stop production at three (Like they did with Seawolf) and if the design features work out they'll incorporate them unto either the next class of ships , or possibly back fit them into existing classes. The next class might be a "Zumwalt lite" as the Virgina class subs were a "Seawolf lite". I'd much rather see the Navy building 1-3 of a test bed than a whole class and find it doesn't work. Navies and national defense should evolutionary , NOT revolutionary. It's just too important. [:)]

I prefer to think of the Virginias as a post-688 class.

The Seawolfs had a different mission that went away with the USSR. We had a private briefing with VADM White, then ComSubLant, in refit in 1982 (?) All the wardrooms in Kings Bay at the time attended. He described Seawolf, then on the drawing boards, as a recruiting tool for the nukes. Essentially his message was "once she penetrates into the SSBN bastion she has enough fish to stay a long, long time." At the time she wasn't named yet, and the exact sensor suite was in flux, but I still remember his grin when he said "fifty."
The Moose
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I prefer to think of the Virginias as a post-688 class.

The Seawolfs had a different mission that went away with the USSR. We had a private briefing with VADM White, then ComSubLant, in refit in 1982 (?) All the wardrooms in Kings Bay at the time attended. He described Seawolf, then on the drawing boards, as a recruiting tool for the nukes. Essentially his message was "once she penetrates into the SSBN bastion she has enough fish to stay a long, long time." At the time she wasn't named yet, and the exact sensor suite was in flux, but I still remember his grin when he said "fifty."

It is a post 688 class. It came afterwards. Every boat we build from now on will be a "post 688" class. [:D] But the Virginia's , originally referred to as the "Centurion class" (a developmental name only) was built because it was felt the USN couldn't afford a 50+ buy of Seawolves. I'm sure you'll agree with me that the Virginia's owe a awful lot of their design features to the Seawolf. 688, not so much. [:D]
Kull

Post by Kull »

The CiC looks a lot like my vision of the WitP 2.0 interface:

Attachments
AE2.jpg
AE2.jpg (42.83 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

It is a post 688 class. It came afterwards. Every boat we build from now on will be a "post 688" class. [:D] But the Virginia's , originally referred to as the "Centurion class" (a developmental name only) was built because it was felt the USN couldn't afford a 50+ buy of Seawolves. I'm sure you'll agree with me that the Virginia's owe a awful lot of their design features to the Seawolf. 688, not so much. [:D]

By post-688 I meant an everyday, affordable (relatively) SSN. Sure they're modern and take many features from Seawolf. But Seawolf was not affordable in the post-Cold War environment in the numbers we need to fulfill tasking. And Seawolf was vastly over-designed for most SSN missions. Like using a Jaguar to haul plywood.

However, in a real sense the 688 was not a "post-637 design." I'm sure you know what the 637 was designed to do, and what the 688 was designed to do. Different. And that's all I'm saying about that here.
The Moose
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Dili

Destroyers are much bigger today.
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

It brings one back to the days of ram bows at the turn of the last century.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

They did not miss the mark by much....

Attachments
FerrisAndKirk.jpg
FerrisAndKirk.jpg (117.37 KiB) Viewed 486 times
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
kaleun

Post by kaleun »

Does look like a giant submarine.
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Dili

Post by Dili »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

ORIGINAL: Dili

Destroyers are much bigger today.

I know, just playing in the WW2 mode, hence the Wash. Treaty reference.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”