US-Russia Theoretical Syria Clash

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

elxaime

US-Russia Theoretical Syria Clash

Post by elxaime »

First off, everyone with a brain hopes something like this never happens. Second, the writer makes some bold assumptions about how the leaders of Russia and the US would react, basically to create the sort of worst case political scenario that would enable the rest of the article.

All this said...I am curious as to whether the writer has accurately described the weapons and technologies and made reasonable predictions of their performance.

Here is the link to the Popular Mechanics article:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/militar ... look-like/

I believe these are all weapons systems modeled by the game. What do the afficionados think? What would you change in the article that needed changing?
JVJ
RoryAndersonCDT

RE: US-Russia Theoretical Syria Clash

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

Article seems to think Harpoons are stored in Mk 41 VLS, I think there have been attempts to integrate the Harpoon with the VLS but no success I think.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

At the same time, the Donald Cook's deck erupts in smoke and flame. There are flat panels on the bow and stern decks, sectioned into grids. Each of the 61 grid squares is a launch tube for a missile. Tonight, many of these tubes are loaded for a ship-to-ship fight, armed with RGM-84 Harpoon missiles. The tubes are standalone, meaning they can be fired almost simultaneously.

Fifteen Harpoons rise from the deck within seconds and turn toward the targets. These are not dumb bullets, but smart and lethal unmanned aerial vehicles. The missiles dive for the sea surface, skimming the waves at 530 mph to evade radar-based countermeasures. Radar in the missiles' nosecones steer the missiles toward their targets.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

To be frank, even the Pentagon couldn't assure the estimated result if pre-WW3 happens in Syria. Let alone the strategic reactions with this, just the matter of sudden clashing with jets and ships are enough to bring more threats and damages to other countries.

However, if someone must insist to find out who can 'win' this fight (not the entire war), I would say both US and Russia wins -- they both achieved their goals by turning the Mediterranean countries into worse-than-cold-wars situations as well as the total isolation of Russia. The loser is however, must be Syria.
DeltaIV

Post by DeltaIV »

The article author must have been reading too much Clancy it seems. Super advanced stealth solo plane obliterating four evil helicopters while escaping all detection and returning to base safely. I stopped reading at that point.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

The article was written to show escalation points but the author didn't research modern weapons all that well which is odd for that magazine.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

That's why I don't refer to any media-based scenarios, even who used any simulation program including CMANO. There's always a bias in media.

Yet, there's something more sensational than guessing games, like this one:

elxaime

Post by elxaime »

ORIGINAL: DeltaIV

The article author must have been reading too much Clancy it seems. Super advanced stealth solo plane obliterating four evil helicopters while escaping all detection and returning to base safely. I stopped reading at that point.

How did the game model the F-22 capabilities? Is there a wide gap between the PR and the actual performance against the systems it is likely to face, at least as the game designers have imagined it? I am not an aficionado, but whenever I read something in the press about the F-22 it makes it sound like one step from the Millenium Falcon.
JVJ
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

The F-22 is very capable and it's limitations are modeled well in the game. Do you have a specific concern?

Thanks

Mike
elxaime

Post by elxaime »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

The F-22 is very capable and it's limitations are modeled well in the game. Do you have a specific concern?

Thanks

Mike

Not really. I am just surprised something that seems so effective was cancelled.
JVJ
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

When was it cancelled? The Raptor? Very much not cancelled.
Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: elxaime

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Thanks

Mike

Not really. I am just surprised something that seems so effective was cancelled.

Its expensive and the US budget switched focus to getting the F35 off the ground. A good number are in service though.

Mike

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”