OT: has anybody tried this (board) game?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Jorge_Stanbury

OT: has anybody tried this (board) game?

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Its some kind of Viking chess:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/you-ha ... f088ae4e2d

"The game is similar to chess, but with several important differences. Instead of two identical and equal opponents facing each other, Hnefatafl is a game where one side is surrounded and outnumbered—like a Viking war party caught in an ambush. The game might seem unbalanced. The attacking black player has 24 total pieces—known as “hunns”—to white’s meager and surrounded 12 hunns. But white has several advantages."

This asymmetry reminds me about another game we all play [;)]
Lokasenna

RE: OT: has anybody tried this (board) game?

Post by Lokasenna »

I've played "Break Out!", which is a 1960s (?) evolution of the game. I've always wanted to play the original Viking Age version, but since nobody really knows the rules... that would be a bit tough. There are just educated guesses as to what the rules were.

I think I'm going to make a set for myself, eventually, in the next couple of years. I can decide on what rules I want to use for it at that point.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”