releasing the best/last pilot

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

stretch

releasing the best/last pilot

Post by stretch »

For the life of me I cannot release the best pilot in most air units. Example pic below, Captain Blair. Clicking retain - ON does not change to OFF. If I set the other pilots to retain - ON then leave and return to the air unit they are magically back to OFF.

Any way to release the talented Captain Blair?

Attachments
pilots.jpg
pilots.jpg (131.16 KiB) Viewed 67 times
wdolson

RE: releasing the best/last pilot

Post by wdolson »

He's the commander of the unit. Change the commander.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
stretch

Post by stretch »

Well, I found that after releasing any other pilot to reserve, I was able to click Blair from On to Off, and all pilots were then Off, and all can be released to reserve leaving no pilots in the group.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure of this, but I don't think Blair went into reserve. He probably went back to the leader pool to be assigned to another unit if you select him later. The '*' by his rank designates him as a flying leader.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Capt Hornblower

Post by Capt Hornblower »

The "*" by Blair's rank indicates he's the squadron CO. The red color of his info indicates that currently he cannot be removed from the squadron (as you would expect of the CO). Once replaced as CO, Blair can be sent to the reserve like any other pilot. The RETAIN column is used to choose the pilots you wish to keep in the squadron when you do a mass transfer to another pool. (In the 61st Bmb Sqd, if you chose the RESERVE pool and clicked RELEASE 5 PILOTS under LEAST EXPERIENCED, the bottom 5 pilots would be transferred. But if you had changed KROLL to RETAIN ON, he would be kept and BRYAN would be transferred instead.)

BTW, BLAIR isn't all that talented; 35 is only good relative to the other pilots in this squadron. You're going to want pilots with lots higher EXP in your front-line combat units. (This is what the TRAINING mission is for.)
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

OK, I'm going from in game experience only here, and I may be doing something wrong. When I spend PP's to replace a leader in an air unit I see him going back to the leader pool. I recently attempted to send one to reserve and a pop up box appeared that said the 'leader would be inactive', continue 'yes/no'. I hit no. Don't know exactly what the deal is and I'll play with it more when I get chance. Unfortunately right now I'm just not that interested in figuring it out (due to external conditions). I'll get there eventually.

Rusty

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

stretch

Post by stretch »

I checked and he did go into the reserve pool. I find that after an initial pilot release and then enough clicking around thereafter I can get every pilot out with no PP release over 90% of the time.

Attachments
blair.jpg
blair.jpg (111.85 KiB) Viewed 67 times
duettoalfa

Post by duettoalfa »

if you tried clicking under retain to switch cap Blair to OFF and it wont switch to OFF I do this:
I add pilots to the squadron from Replacement and then I start realeasing them. After I've realeased a few I go back to the Retain column and try to switch your cap Blair OFF, and usually it does.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: duettoalfa

if you tried clicking under retain to switch cap Blair to OFF and it wont switch to OFF I do this:
I add pilots to the squadron from Replacement and then I start realeasing them. After I've realeased a few I go back to the Retain column and try to switch your cap Blair OFF, and usually it does.

Good to know. Thanks.

stretch

Post by stretch »

Yup that's consistent here too; release pilots and try changing OFF to ON again, or if there aren't other pilots add some, release, and then try to click to OFF again. Seems to work after one or two tries. Not sure this isn't a bug ? but it works.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: stretch

Yup that's consistent here too; release pilots and try changing OFF to ON again, or if there aren't other pilots add some, release, and then try to click to OFF again. Seems to work after one or two tries. Not sure this isn't a bug ? but it works.

Sounds like a small bug.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Been dealing with it for years.

That's why I advocate experiment, experiment, experiment.
Hans

Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

That last guy is .000000000000001% of the war effort. [:)]

Much more important to make sure the martini glass is properly chilled.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”