Into the Ring - AAR - PBEM (Turns 1 - 17)

Moderator: Jason Petho

Jason Petho

Into the Ring - AAR - PBEM (Turns 1 - 17)

Post by Jason Petho »

This will chronicle a game I played with a customer. Thank you for the game! We played through the first 17 turns before my opponent resigned. We will play it again to see how he fares with the tactical lessons he has learned.

In this PBEM, I played the Syrians and PLO.

For me to win this scenario I need to cause as many Israeli casualties as I can. I have a lot of troops, although the quality of most of them will leave a lot to be desired.

To focus on my victory, I will use the following strategy:

1. Use the terrain to ambush
2. Lose VP locations headed north to give my opponent a false sense of security
3. Keep the fighting close to maximize casualties against the Israeli's.
4. Consolidate in the south and attack towards the coast late in the game.

Here is the overall situation on turn 1.

I kept most of my forces stationary, moving a few infantry units towards the south.

Much of the action is around the town of Haame. I was fortunate to take out a couple of Merkava's with my Recoilless Rifles.

My limited artillery is plotted, hoping to catch some infantry in the open.

Jason Petho

RE: Into the Ring - AAR - PBEM (Turns 1 - 17)

Post by Jason Petho »

Turn 2.

The mobilization plan is in action. I wish I had some more trucks!

As you can see from the overview, many of my infantry in the eastern portion of the map are heading south in the messy terrain. While there are roads, the terrain is hilly and complex to move in. It will take time to collect my forces around Aabey and Kfar Matta (south/center)

My position around Naame is being flanked with an armoured task force heading towards Dawha.

Fortunately, the troops in Naame have held out.

You can see the Israeli helicopters in the screenshot. They are all flying high, giving my opponent excellent Line of Sight and limiting my ability to shoot them down.

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Naame has now been surrounded. I don't think it will take too long to fall before my opponent starts his assault on Dawha.

The Israeli helicopters have been stationary for a turn, so I'll be plotting some artillery strikes on them to give my opponent something to think about.

I am probing in the south, in the area around west of Kfar Matta, with the hopes of securing Kliliye and work my way through the woods. Since Kfar Matta will be one of my assembly areas, it is important I have a good ensure it is out of Line of Sight for any Israeli eyes.

Below, the Israeli's are preparing for crossing the valley south of Dawha. I presume they are waiting for Naame to be secured before they go. You'll notice that the 50VP hex at Naame and the hex south of it have bunker complexes in them. This does allow some longevity to the units, but the positions won't last forever. It will be important to cause as many casualties in doing so!

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Turn 4

My opponent is utlizing his helicopters quite well at the moment, using them to gain valuable intelligence. He is moving them around now, which is good.

He's started to probe more. An armoured thrust towards Dawha and some probing south of Baawerta. As you can see, the infantry units (PLO and Syrian Commando's) supplied with ample support weapons, are still making their way on the western edge of the map. They are out of the Israeli Line of Sight, so I'm not concerned about keeping them concealed.

Another successful Recoilless Rifle attack against the Israeli tanks as they advance into the valley floor south of Dawha. The position around Naame is being slowly reduced. I'm not causing as many casualties as I'd like, but each one counts.

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Turn 5

Naame is dwindling.

Dawha is prepared for the assault, it is being flanked to the west by infantry. I have plotted some artillery in the suspected positions. You can see my opponent has placed some helicopters northeast of Dawha, keeping an eye on the position and any reinforcements that I may send. He doesn't know that I'm not focusing much attention on his advance, hoping to keep him focused on the route north while I advance around the southern flank.

The area around Kliliye is secured, so I'll keep advancing a hex or two at a time to expand the assembly area boundary.

My position around Baawerta, is being probed by the Israeli's. While the position is entrenched, it won't last long against a determined assault.

And the position around Naame and Dawha.

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Turn 6.

Naame as fallen. The PLO troops defending finally succumbed to overwhelming Israeli forces.

The forces from Naame have started to move up the coast to the next target, Dawha.

You'll notice I have abandoned most of my Victory Point locations to the northeast. There will be some follow on troops that will fill these positions in.

Here's a 2D zoom in of the southern sector. I have secured the road out of Kliliye in preparation for the eventual thrust to the coast.

You can also see the position around Baawerta (north/center) with the Israeli tank company beating the Syrian Commando's in the village. I have a milan team around that area, with the hopes of taking a tank or two out.

The situation around Dawha. The helicopters are still floating around, keeping a diligent eye on my rear area.

My opponent has been wise and pretty well steering clear of civilians. While there aren't many, they will cause Victory Point losses for him if he decides to attack them, or attacks them by accident.

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Turn 7

The assault on Dawha has begun. My opponent is doing an excellent job at securing his flank. He's captured the woods along the north/south ridge to ensure I can't get Line of Sight to his troops as they are bunched up along the coastal road.

I've reinforced the Baawerta position with another infantry company. While it won't stop an assault, it will make him think twice and cause casualties. That's what I want. I'll send some artillery against his positions near Baawerta and hope they have some affect.

I made a vain attempt with various AAA weapons to take out the Cobra's hovering out in the sea, to no avail. I wish I had more artillery, Naame would make a lovely target of bunched up Israeli's.

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Turn 8

Ah crap, I didn't take screenshots for turn 8.

[&:]
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Turn 9

Well Dawha got nasty quickly.

I am causing some casualities, but it isn't pleasant. I have plotted as much artillery in the surrounding hexes to help my situation, but it is just a matter of time.

If you look closely on the east side road network, you'll notice that I have received some armour as reinforcements. As part of my overall strategy, they are heading south, out of Line of Sight, to participate in the southern thrust to the coast.

Here is a 2D close up (zoom level 4) of the northern front. I will need to prop up position southeast of Haret Chbib, as there is a massive hole in my front line. I am advancing the infantry west of Ram Bohamoun as quickly as possible to fill it.

Here is the 3D (zoom level 1) of the same area. Burning wrecks are good! (unless they are mine)

I had to pull out of Baawerta. I will pull back to the woods and hope for the best. I managed to take out a tank with the Milan teams. That's always encouraging.

I am getting greedy and advancing towards Lahbiye before my troops are in position for an assault.

The Baawerta position in 3D (zoom level 1)

Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Hello, this is great info and sorry to interrupt but had a question....there seems to be a ton of units to control. Can you provide some perspective on a few things?

1) As a human player, how long does it take to make all your moves for a turn? I know it will be different for everyone, but seems like it could take a long time.
2) Are there any tools/tricks included that makes it easier to control all those units?
3) With so many units, how do you reasonably keep them organized?
4) When it comes to processing the turn, how long would it take to get through all the moves and firing?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Turn 10

Surpringly enough, Dawha hasn't fallen yet. Haret Chbib looks like it will next on the hitlist. I am sending in a few reinforcements (mostly Recoilless Rifles and some Sniper teams). The helicopters are probing deep behind my frontline, giving my opponent a clear view of what I am up to.

I really need something to take out that flight of Cobra's out over the water.

Here is my probing to the south. They consist of Syrian commando's, a couple T-54 platoons and some PLO. It appears some Magach tanks are around, I wasn't expecting that. They got a lucky shot.

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Excellent questions, Grim.Reaper!

Let's see how I can answer them:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

1) As a human player, how long does it take to make all your moves for a turn? I know it will be different for everyone, but seems like it could take a long time.

I play quickly. For most scenarios I can finish a turn in less than 10 minutes. For low complexity scenarios, it could be as short as 5. This, on the other hand, is a higher complexity scenario (lots of units) so will take me about 20 minutes to play, on average.
2) Are there any tools/tricks included that makes it easier to control all those units?

1. Make a plan!

2. Stick to your plan!

3. Definitely use the Highlight organizations button. They help keep your units organized visually. I use it all the time!

4. It benefits your supply if you keep your units together. Each army has different distances, but generally keeping companies within a few hexes of the 1st platoon is highly recommeded.
3) With so many units, how do you reasonably keep them organized?

The Highlight Organization button. It highlights units of the same organziation, making it super simple to keep track of who belongs to who:

Image Image

4) When it comes to processing the turn, how long would it take to get through all the moves and firing?

Watching the replay can take 5-10 minutes. (Except if HAL has nothing to do, then it is instantaneous as shown in Bootcamp 1)

For larger scenarios, it may take HAL longer to play. For some massive East Front scenarios (thousands of units), I have watched over an hour of replay before I could play. By the same token, those massive scenarios would take me an hour or two to play.

budd

Post by budd »

Do the civilians provide intel for you. LOS? Are any of your units fixed? Whats the visibility? that move around his right flank look like it going to be hard to stop.Are you bringing all of those troops on the road down there. He has helo's down there doesn't he see whats coming.What about a push north of Baawerta through that forest,nothing major just something to make him nervous and get in his way if he shifts right.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Do the civilians provide intel for you. LOS?

No, except the ? marks you see. Otherwise, nada.

Are any of your units fixed?

The civilians are fixed, otherwise I have complete freedom.

Whats the visibility?

It varies between 8-10 hexes
that move around his right flank look like it going to be hard to stop.Are you bringing all of those troops on the road down there. He has helo's down there doesn't he see whats coming.

They can only see as far as visibility lets them. Fortunately, he didn't fly too far behind the main frontline.
What about a push north of Baawerta through that forest,nothing major just something to make him nervous and get in his way if he shifts right.

Oh sure, give away what I'm going to do next time [;)]
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Thank you for answering my questions, really appreciate it.
budd

Post by budd »

you guys ever think about having a more in depth supply model for the game? If you get around behind him and control a part of that road that won't effect his supplies at all...right.

great presentation Jason.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Turn 11

Here is the complete zoom out of the current situation 2D (zoom level 7). While you can't identify specific units, it does provide a quick overview - better than the Jump Map can provide.

The situation around Baawerta. I lost the Milan team south of the town in the bunker complex and have pulled back quite a bit until reinforcements have arrived. To the northeast of the village, I have some commando's ready for an Israeli probe through the woods.

The southern probe. I ran into a Vulcan M113. Fortunately, a T-54 platoon made a mess of it. His helicopters have a clear view of everything, so I suspect he now knows my intention and is maneuvering some units to blunt my attack.

In the north, I have finally plugged the hole in the frontline. If you look closely, you can see an SU-57 AAA battery has arrived in Khaldah and a large armoured column heading south on the eastern edge of the map.

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

you guys ever think about having a more in depth supply model for the game? If you get around behind him and control a part of that road that won't effect his supplies at all...right.

If my opponent has left his UGDA HQ in the southwest portion of the map and I cut the road north of it, any resupply attempt to that HQ will not work.

great presentation Jason.

Thanks, budd!!

Glad you're enjoying it!
Jason Petho
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Thank you for answering my questions, really appreciate it.

No problem at all.

Any more questions, don't hesistate to ask!

Jason Petho
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Turn 12

Ah crap, Israeli Centurions in the south. On the brightside, the first parts of a mechanized infantry battalion have arrived on scene in the Kfar Matta area and will help bolster the defences there while the rest of the troops arrive.

Haret Chbib has fallen, well, the important parts anyway. To the east, I am trying to position my missiles on the ridge between Haret Chbib and Ram Bohamoun. This will provide excellent Line of Sight for the Milan teams as he advances north towards Khaldah.

I surrounded a company of M-60's with infantry, taking out one and disrupting a couple. Not enough Action Points for an assault though. Will they escape?

Return to “After Action Reports”