Syria Civil War II

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jagdtiger14

Syria Civil War II

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Now that the civil war has moved into a new phase...check this out:

Russian Mi-24 Hind's on the attack:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dramatic ... ?r=UK&IR=T

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Jagdtiger14

RE: Syria Civil War II

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Syrian rebels defending well, ask for US help (which wont come):

http://www.voanews.com/content/syrian-i ... 97147.html
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Josh

Post by Josh »

So uh ... there's the Assad regime, the Free Syrian Army, all kinds of militia groups and ISIS. There's Jordan to the South, Lebanon to the West, Turkey to the North, the PKK and YPG in nothern Syria/Iraq, then there's Iran, Russia, China and oh wait the US led coalition forces of the West as well. It's getting mightily confusing there. [X(] Who's shooting at who exactly?
operating

Post by operating »

Thanks for sharing![;)]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Today ISIS took over three rebel held areas north of Alepo (captured weapons and ammo). Previously and currently the Russians were/are bombing the rebels (not ISIS) there. Also, ISIS killed an Iranian high level commander.

The US has decided against training any more rebels (was a failure anyway since the rebels were never vetted...how stupid can it get?). Saw a story today that the US might send weapons to rebels, or pull out of Syria completely (I guess they have not made up their minds?). Selling some kind of advanced artillery system to Lebanon (mistake).

March 26, 2012 (Seoul, South Korea) a discussion never intended to be public: Obama to Dmitry Medvedev: "This is my last election. After my election, I have more flexibility". Medvedev to Obama: "I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir".
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

It's getting mightily confusing there. Who's shooting at who exactly?

If go to this web page:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34486572

and then scroll down to the Flash graphic "Who’s fighting whom in Syria? Explained in 90 seconds" you might find it interesting.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

I have been following the war in Syria for a while now. Here is a really good site if you want to follow the land gains/losses and who is where (its updated constantly...at least once per day):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template: ... tailed_map
operating

Post by operating »

Perhaps Matrix will produce a game centered around this Syrian Civil War? There's all kinds of scenarios that could be included. Strategy yes, tactics would have to be a strong point of the game, fighting without air support, stealth, movement, a seemingly endless array of options could be included within the game.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Perhaps Matrix will produce a game centered around this Syrian Civil War?

There's an ethical problem there: games about past wars can be instructive, and games about potential wars can be valuable in letting everyone know how destructive it would be. But games about current wars, when neither side shows any sign of quitting, could quite possibly be used to work out strategies and launch further assaults -- in other words, to actually aid in killing people.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

CMANO has some user made scenarios in the theater I think, if not someone is probably making them. Now with Russia entering the picture those could get even more interesting. There are also scenarios set in the Ukraine conflict.
operating

Post by operating »

In all practicality, the development of a game of the modern era would take quite a bit of time. What it takes to do programming? I do not know? Who would invest in such a project? That's another problem. Would it be an Independent or a brand such as Matrix, Slitherine, ect. that would pick up the idea and run with it? That's anyone's guess... Timing wise: By the time a game has been written, programed and marketed about today's events it would be much about history, if that's what you are concerned about.

Take note: That since when the movie camera was invented movies where shown while a war or wars were still happening. Add to that: books that were printed and released (that contained all kinds of subject matter) about a war that was still being fought. Cable news can bring the current war to your living room at the touch of a button with all the latest of the latest on combatants, complete with commentators of every stripe.

My view is: There is a lot happening in the ME that could make for interesting war game.[;)]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

any else checkout infowars.com?
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

More "Conspiracy Theorist" self aggrandizement rubbish! [>:]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
operating

Post by operating »

Yes, checked it out! Enjoy sites that are have more of a historical theme about war, how they came to be, the war itself and aftermath, much like the results of world wars or regional wars such as the Franco-Prussian War, ect...

PS: There is one segment of that site (World Wars) that I found interesting.
KISSMEUFOOL!

Post by KISSMEUFOOL! »

Yes, many important facts there.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: wings7

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

More "Conspiracy Theorist" self aggrandizement rubbish! [>:]

Yep.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
operating

Post by operating »

Have a nice day[:)]

Attachments
383468c.jpg
383468c.jpg (89.09 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: operating

Perhaps Matrix will produce a game centered around this Syrian Civil War? There's all kinds of scenarios that could be included. Strategy yes, tactics would have to be a strong point of the game, fighting without air support, stealth, movement, a seemingly endless array of options could be included within the game.

This could be a very interesting game, provided that the right balance is struck between the political, military, supply, training, recruitment, funding and other integral issues. It would be very challenging to make a balanced scenario because of the plethora of 'players'.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

WWIII?...or the end of NATO?

USS Theodore Roosevelt has left the Syrian theater...to be replaced by a Chinese carrier and other Chinese naval assets. Usually when there are American interests at stake, the US President sends in a carrier task force (ie...Straits of Taiwan). Does the US suddenly think the Middle East with its oil, Israel, and unstable nations is no longer of interest?

1. The US President assures the Russian dictator that he will have more flexibility after the election since he can not run for re-election.

2. US troops are withdrawn from Iraq...a Sunni radical group (ISIS) fills the vacuum.

3. The US declares red lines that can not be crossed (chemical weapons) in Syria, those lines are immediately crossed anyway.

4. The US declares ISIS "junior varsity" (ie...unimportant) as it spreads through out two countries. The US response in combating this threat is extremely weak.

5. Russia tests western resolve (Ukraine and territorial flybys of many NATO members), then does the same in Syria...leading to an ever increasing force in Syria.

6. Can we call China...Russia's ally? Chinese naval units make their way through the Suez and appear off the coast of Syria. At the same time the US removes its carrier group from the area.

7. NATO member Turkey has intense invasions of its airspace (Russian aircraft radar lock for minutes, and Turkish anti-air systems paint the Russian aircraft).

Did I leave anything out?

I'm not saying anything will go nuclear, and I even think a conventional WWIII is unlikely, but I do think the NATO alliance will be tested soon. If Turkey defends its airspace and shoots down a Russian and/or Chinese aircraft, and Russia/China decide to punish Turkey, will NATO come to Turkey's side? NATO will be over if the US does not support a NATO member. Can NATO keep going without the US taking an active (much less a leadership) role?...what other counties could possibly be counted on to make a difference? Who would take on a Russia and China alliance? If NATO crumbles, Russia can take back the Baltics, all of Ukraine, Belarus, Moldavia...and other than words, what will anyone do about it? No one will risk nuclear war. Other than the US no one can do anything and the US is withdrawing. The parties interested in seeing NATO dissolve have about 15 months to make this happen.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I'll be honest, if Russia wants to take back some of it's former territories, and get involved in some good ol' ME quagmire action, I don't think it's worth risking WW3 to stop them.

Return to “General Discussion”