NASA has big announcement to make...

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Josh

NASA has big announcement to make...

Post by Josh »

About Pluto

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 84981.html

This has gone totally viral, it's all over the web...except nothing from NASA. So...maybe a hoax maybe not but damn can't *wait*.

TulliusDetritus

RE: NASA has big announcement to make...

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ALIENS!!!
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Zap

Post by Zap »

today is the announcement. don't know the time. anyone know?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zap

today is the announcement. don't know the time. anyone know?
Pluto

An announcement? About me? Woof!

Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Water ice. Makes the theory that Pluto has an ocean of liquid water under its crust more likely.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/6 ... arf-planet
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Water ice. Makes the theory that Pluto has an ocean of liquid water under its crust more likely.

Wouldn't access to water make it easier to establish a base there?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you for sharing. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Its amazing how much water there really is out there everywhere!
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Josh

Post by Josh »

So it's ice and a beautiful blue sky.

What really really surprises me is that we all thought these planets were bonedry, now there seems to be water/ice and much more geological activity than we'd ever expected. So there's even a possibility, be it a small one, that there's some sort of life there. So here we have the "closest" most nearby rocks in space and there's already a chance of life. There's a gazillion galaxies in the universe and countless more stars and even more planets. Seems to me we *will* find "life" in the next 10-20 years or so. Mindblowing stuff I say. Ofcourse for them we will be the aliens [:D]

Now where's the Slaak? I'm sure he would have a sound explanation for all this... [:)]
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Josh

What really really surprises me is that we all thought these planets were bonedry, now there seems to be water/ice and much more geological activity than we'd ever expected. So there's even a possibility, be it a small one, that there's some sort of life there. So here we have the "closest" most nearby rocks in space and there's already a chance of life. There's a gazillion galaxies in the universe and countless more stars and even more planets. Seems to me we *will* find "life" in the next 10-20 years or so. Mindblowing stuff I say. Ofcourse for them we will be the aliens [:D]

Now where's the Slaak? I'm sure he would have a sound explanation for all this... [:)]

Yea, Slaak's color commentary of this would be fun for me but not so by others I'd imagine.
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Orm

I think Pluto's temperature is very extreme. Much more extreme then living in Antarctica. I'm not sure a base would be feasible.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Noooo, just for bathing.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
budd

Post by budd »

That's an Illuminati symbol you newb and newblettes...colonization has begun[;)]
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

That's an Illuminati symbol you newb and newblettes...colonization has begun[;)]
warspite1

[:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Illuminati were mentioned. Thread lock in 5...4...3...

The extreme cold temperature is not really a problem since the habitats would be enclosed. The real issues are gravity (lack of it) and even worse are cosmic rays/radiation (no magnetic field for protection). The radiation/rays can be defeated by moving underground (caves), or having a very thick H2O (could be in ice form) shield.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Okay, they discovered Pluto has a Blue Sky. And patches of red ice. Nothing yet that might suggest any life forms.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Zap

Okay, they discovered Pluto has a Blue Sky. And patches of red ice. Nothing yet that might suggest any life forms.
There's hope, better than previous pre-conceptions [:)]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “General Discussion”