Upgrade to "Universe"

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

nukkxx5058

Upgrade to "Universe"

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Hi, I already have DW+ROTS+LEGENDS. (but not "shadows")

Is there a way to upgrade to "Universe" without having to purchase the whole expansive package ?

Also, it's not clear to me what main features exactly are added in "universe" ?

Thanks
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
nukkxx5058

RE: Upgrade to "Universe"

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Let me precise my question...

The presentation says:

New to Universe!

* The entire Distant Worlds series in one package!
* Comprehensive Modding and Customization Support:
* A new official storyline built using the new modding capabilities, covering the first war between the Freedom Alliance and the Shaktur Axis, in which you have access to the tech required to build your own planet destroyers, establish the Ancient Guardians and research and deploy the Xaraktor virus.

-------------
This doesn't seem to be a big change !?

So, if I'm not interested in modding, should I buy it ? Or should I just upgrade to "shadows" (given the fact that I already have "legends" and to limit the cost ?

Thanks
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

The upgrade offer has expired ages ago.

Your options are:

1: Do Nothing
2: Upgrade to shadows
3: Buy Universe at full price
4: Wait for a sale of Universe

Universe has already been at 50% on Steam (and probably here).

To use the updated mods you need Universe, there are good ones like the AI mod. There is also quite a few nice changes done to universe after release, which is not for the most part available in Shadows (some may be, I did not pay attention). I would rate Universe quite a bit superior to Shadows (which in itself is a good upgrade from Legends).

I would consider to wishlist it on Steam and get a mail when it goes on sale.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

OK. Thanks.
But what would "universe" offers me as compared to "shadows" appart the modding stuff which i'm not interested in ?
Thank you.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Your options are:

1: Do Nothing
2: Upgrade to shadows
3: Buy Universe at full price
4: Wait for a sale of Universe

And yes, forgot to ask ... What would be your recommandation ?
Thx :-)
PsyKoSnake

Post by PsyKoSnake »

What Universe will offer you:

Icemanie AI Improvement mod ;)

Wait for a sale on Steam!
But you could pay the full price and you probably wont regret it.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: PsyKoSnake

What Universe will offer you:

Icemanie AI Improvement mod ;)

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand .... so basically, you are saying that the only one improvement in 'universe' is the AI ?
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: PsyKoSnake

Again, I don't understand :-)
I can see it's already for sale on steam ... 55 euros.
So what did you mean ?
I'm probably going to buy it on Steam then.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

OK, I couldn't resist.
Downloading on Steam :-))) ...

[*edit* ... and I'm more than happy to support the devs [&o] ]
PsyKoSnake

Post by PsyKoSnake »

Universe expansion was made to be able to mod the game.

It add some other thing, but modding is the major upgrade.

Play the game on extreme + Xtended Ai improvement mod from icemania and u will probably start to lose game.

nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

And where do i find it ?
And how do I install it ?
Thx.
PsyKoSnake

Post by PsyKoSnake »

nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Thanks. Should I install this immediately or should I first train with the standard package ?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I suggest that you only switch once you think the base game is too easy. Extreme difficulty and AI mod is very much harder than the default game, and is based around the player doing the rather optimal choices at all times (at least at the early phases).
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Thanks. :-)
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

There are other mods, though, that do not effect the AI too much. The Extended Universe, for instance, just adds a few races for more variety.

I would say that a new player don't need more variety until having actually seen the original races a few times, though.
b15h09

Post by b15h09 »

Hi, I have a question along this same vein. I currently own DW+ROTS+Legends+Shadows. Is there an upgrade path to Universe? From what I could tell, for the first week of Universe's release, it would have been $10 to upgrade, but I had no idea at the time. I'd basically just like to have this available through steam, and good mod support sounds nice as well. Would there be any available options to me other than paying full price for Universe, or waiting for a sale?

Thanks in advance
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

No there is nothing apart from full price or waiting for a sale.
mek42

Post by mek42 »

Only allowing the upgrade coupon for a short period seems like a slap in the face to existing customers. I can see having the coupon applicable only to current non-sale pricing, but for it to be completely gone is not a sign of true customer appreciation.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

To be fair, the upgrade offer lasted for months and as part of it, we e-mailed every single previous DW customer that we had any record of to inform them that the offer was available. Our hope was that everyone who wanted to upgrade would have plenty of time to do so. With all that said, I wish we had not allowed it to expire, but it was certainly not an attempt to slap anyone in the face. Once it had expired though, re-instating it would cause enough problems that we could not logistically make that happen. We have instead run promotions since then to make Universe periodically more affordable in the hopes that would help those customer who missed out on the upgrade offer.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”