Fatigue

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

kstoddard2

Fatigue

Post by kstoddard2 »

How much fatigue should I allow to accumulate on LCUs and Air Units before setting them to rest or stand them down?

Kyle
I'm starving, get me a scotch!
HansBolter

RE: Fatigue

Post by HansBolter »

Depends a lot on what you are trying to do with them and their supply and stacking situation because those both have a huge impact on fatigue recovery rates.

There is no substitute for experimentation.

In large ongoing sieges such as in China I find I can only shock attack two days straight before my disruption and fatigue skyrocket forcing me to stand down and bombard to 3-5-7 days to recover sufficiently to be able to renew the attack.

As long as your first SA wasn't a disaster you can renew the next day even with 15-25 disruption and 30-40 fatigue.

However, even if that SA is decent you will be facing disruption of 30-40-50 and fatigue of 50-70 and you had better stand down the next day.

Unlike players the AI seems to be able to SA for days on end with no break.
Hans

BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

For my air units I try to keep fatigue to be below 20ish. I accomplish this mostly by putting the maximum amount of pilots into air groups. Having fatigued pilots fly just means losing more air frames and pilots due to operational losses and it is usually completely avoidable.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

In case you aren't aware in the LCUs at a base interface, ie.. the list of all ground units, there is toggle text in the upper right corner listing 'soft' and switching to 'hard'.

Use that toggle to get a different list of your LCU stats.

This list has columns for fatigue and disruption among many others that can be used to quickly asses those levels for the entire stack.

Hans

Amoral

Post by Amoral »

As far as I understand it, fatigue will only reduce the amount of damage you do. Disruption will decrease your outgoing damage and increase the number of destroyed squads you take.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Amoral

As far as I understand it, fatigue will only reduce the amount of damage you do. Disruption will decrease your outgoing damage and increase the number of destroyed squads you take.
Fatigue affects morale, which influences how hard the troops will fight before fleeing. As you said, this affects the amount of damage they do.

Fatigue affects the whole group but disablements affect squads, and usually mean some members of the squad have been killed or all the members are wounded. Think about the effect on a squad if the corporal/sergeant in charge were killed and there was no leader! The notion of missing (killed) members I deduced from comparing the number of fighting troops actually present vs the number of squads X 13 per squad (full complement).

And as you have noted, disablement is the precursor to destruction of the whole squad. Once disablements are greater than fully operational squads, the destruction rate goes up sharply. This means that long, sustained bombardments/attacks over several turns are usually required to get significant numbers of destroyed devices, and once they start the end comes much more quickly than the grind down phase!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Fatigue affects morale, which influences how hard the troops will fight before fleeing. As you said, this affects the amount of damage they do.

Fatigue affects the whole group but disablements affect squads, and usually mean some members of the squad have been killed or all the members are wounded. Think about the effect on a squad if the corporal/sergeant in charge were killed and there was no leader! The notion of missing (killed) members I deduced from comparing the number of fighting troops actually present vs the number of squads X 13 per squad (full complement).

And as you have noted, disablement is the precursor to destruction of the whole squad. Once disablements are greater than fully operational squads, the destruction rate goes up sharply. This means that long, sustained bombardments/attacks over several turns are usually required to get significant numbers of destroyed devices, and once they start the end comes much more quickly than the grind down phase!

+1

Many times I have looked at the daily effects (reported casualties) and thought any newbie going through this is going to be frustrated with the lack of progress.

It's the unseen, unreported effects that really matter here, the daily effort to keep morale low and fatigue and disruption high.

You can get a glimpse of what you may be doing to the enemy by monitoring your own troops under similar circumstances.

Those daily ground and air and sometimes when it applies, naval bombardments are all working to keep those unseen and unreported effects in play so you CAN wear that large enemy stack down to a breaking point.

An additional unseen effect is supply drain. Every time the you bomb form the air an his AA fires it expends supply. Every time you land bombard your opponent burns supply form the counter battery fire.

Neither of these are functions a player can turn off. You can't choose to stand down your AA and artillery and NOT fire them to conserve supply.

This creates a game mechanism wherein a player can wear down the supply of the opponent. If the opponents supply is limited or even better cut off this can quickly lead to an out of supply situation that turns the tables heavily.

Being aware of the unseen and unreported effects is essential to success in land combat.

Hans

Skyros

Post by Skyros »

I believe if you put them on rest AA will not fire and I think ART will not respond as well.
ORIGINAL: HansBolter
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

+1

Many times I have looked at the daily effects (reported casualties) and thought any newbie going through this is going to be frustrated with the lack of progress.

It's the unseen, unreported effects that really matter here, the daily effort to keep morale low and fatigue and disruption high.

You can get a glimpse of what you may be doing to the enemy by monitoring your own troops under similar circumstances.

Those daily ground and air and sometimes when it applies, naval bombardments are all working to keep those unseen and unreported effects in play so you CAN wear that large enemy stack down to a breaking point.

An additional unseen effect is supply drain. Every time the you bomb form the air an his AA fires it expends supply. Every time you land bombard your opponent burns supply form the counter battery fire.

Neither of these are functions a player can turn off. You can't choose to stand down your AA and artillery and NOT fire them to conserve supply.

This creates a game mechanism wherein a player can wear down the supply of the opponent. If the opponents supply is limited or even better cut off this can quickly lead to an out of supply situation that turns the tables heavily.

Being aware of the unseen and unreported effects is essential to success in land combat.

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Which is OK for flak as they don't participate in assault combat, but resting your arty risks having in not participate on the turn your opponent decides to stop bombarding and launch an assault.
Hans

Return to “The War Room”