The Redundant Assault Glider Deployment Slot

Moderator: Jason Petho

Hoplite1963

The Redundant Assault Glider Deployment Slot

Post by Hoplite1963 »

I have been playing around with the scenario editor and notice that as with its JTCS predecessors that CS:ME has the facility to deliver reinforcements by glider.

I wonder if there is a case here for renaming this slot "Helicopter Insertion" for use when a scenario designer wants to represent situations where the troops have to land at a specific time and location and the choppers won't be available for use afterwards? Perhaps you could add a helicopter sound to signal the chopper drop off?

Also red through the manual from one end to the other on a couple of 3 hour train journeys to and from a weekend break last weekend and wonder if the scenario design section of it that deals with deploying troops needs a bit of amplification. Made perfect sense to me but I have had CS series games running on my PC's since I bought East Front II in 1999. The Manual's for these earlier games do go into a bit more detail here in the way that CSME perhaps does not. Hopefully purchase of CS:ME won't be confined to those of us who has CS games already and it would be a pity to mystify newcomers in regard to what is once you know your way round, it a very robust and user friendly set of editors.

Kind regards
Ian
Jason Petho

RE: The Redundant Assault Glider Deployment Slot

Post by Jason Petho »

One thing I'll be doing is creating some tutorial videos on how to create your own scenarios.

I was expecting us to have a printed manual, so kept the amount of verbage to a minimum.

Good idea about the Helicopter Insertion!

Jason Petho
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Jason
Thanks for the prompt reply. Does the boxed version of the game not include a printed manual then?

Regards
Ian
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Not that I believe, Ian.

Unfortunately.

Jason Petho
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Jason

Thanks for that. I have got mixed feelings about printed PC wargames manuals. There is something very satisfying about being able to physically hold them to refer to but then they become increasingly out of date as the game is undated and modified.

For what it's worth the e-book scrubs up quite well on a 7 inch tablet. Spotted a number of possible corrections and omissions as I was reading through the manual. If you like I can go through it line by line and suggest both corrections and where you might want to import text from the JT:CS manual?

Kind regards
Ian
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Jason
Great I will get down to it. Guess as the manual is now not going to be printed we might as well take advantage of what is now feasible because of that.

Regards
Ian
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

I'm working on a helicopter/air mobile raid scenario now and they current helicopter routines are good. They are intuitive and work well, IMHO. I think helio's should have to run the gamut to get into the LZ as the AAA and SAM fire will/should take it's toll on them. Just my opinion.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Understand your point here but think there is a place for other approaches to widen the range of options for scenario designers.

I would also like to see transport aircraft run the gauntlet of AA fire before disgorging paratroops as is done in the SPWW2 & SPMBT games.

Very nice 1985 Valley of Tears scenario by the way

All the best
Ian
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Ian,

Thank you. I actually am reworking it. I've split it into an IDF (Side A) Human version and a Syrian (Side "B") Human/H2H version. So in the Syrian Human/H2H version the AT Ditch is more of an obstacle and the mine fields/Blocks much more extensive. This should make playing the Syrian side much more challenging. Also I've learned a bit about making it all part of a system so all of the 1985 scenarios I produce will be named "Duel_For_The_Golan_85-ScenarioName." making it easier to find all of the 1985 scenarios. So look for them to be put on the page early next week. Jason helped me out with some bmp map graphics. I am on #3 of about 6 (or 7) 1985 scenarios I have planned with two versions of the new "Valley" scenario.

Al
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”