Forum Rules

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

operating

Forum Rules

Post by operating »

Forum rules: [:-] register.asp

Step 1: Forum Agreement
Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers

If you agree to abide by our rules below and the Terms of Use which can be found at http://www.matrixgames.com/termsofuse.asp, please click on the Forum Agreement box and then press the Ok button, which will enable you to register on this message board. If you do not agree to these terms, press the Cancel button.

This message board is where gamers can feel free to exchange ideas and communicate directly with Matrix Games and its developers. You will find Matrix Games and its developers to be very hands on to answer your questions, give support and discuss your ideas for our products or just to chat.

In order to keep this a place for all of us to enjoy and for you to participant on our message board we must layout a few rules and policies.

Matrix Games is solely responsible for creating, hosting, and maintaining this message board. This is a private board and shall not be used for anyone personal causes.

Matrix Games.com reserves the right to ban any person from this message board which it has determined to be in violation or simply just for the good of the overall community. Matrix Games also reserves the right to delete or remove any post on our message board.

Bearing that in mind, all Members must agree to follow these simple rules:

No foul language or any type of language that would be consider abusive this includes any materials which are knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, sexual oriented, vulgar, obscene, hateful, harassing, profane, racist, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or that otherwise violates any local, state, national or international law or regulation.

No posting of any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by yourself or one of Matrix Games, its developers, or its agents.

No multiple message board accounts by a single person are prohibited.

No blatant advertisements for non-Matrix Games products, schemes, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also prohibited from this message board. Users are allowed to include a web site address in a signature, request comments on their personal site in a social setting, or provide an interesting or relevant link to another site.

No Trolling. Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the message board. Trolling could be directed towards one user or a group of users. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion; it only encourages personal attacks and will not be tolerated.

No Copyright Infringement posts. We do not permit the posting of information that will enable other people to use pirated software or to evade the copyright laws. Please DO NOT post serial numbers or CD keys, copyrighted media or links to sites that contain file-sharing software or such information.

No rude or disrespectful posts to or about any forum moderators or Matrix Games Staff. We will not tolerate any forum member acting in this manner.

Matrix Games will maintain a high-level decency standard on our message board.

Legal disclaimer:

Matrix Games does not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of Matrix Games or any entity associated with it. Members remain solely responsible for the content of their messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless this Matrix Games, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of messages. Matrix Games also reserves the right to reveal Member identities and / or recent activities.

Revised: November 01, 2005.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Chickenboy

RE: Forum Rules

Post by Chickenboy »

What's your issue, operating? Don't like the forum rules, don't post here. The rules are pretty clear to my eye, what are you wagging your emoticon finger about?
Zap

Post by Zap »

Well, all that seems to say to me is,we are fortunate that they allow some other topics in the general discussion forums. They could conceivably close out all no gaming topics. And what would that do to Warspite1[:)] and myself.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Zap

Well, all that seems to say to me is,we are fortunate that they allow some other topics in the general discussion forums. They could conceivably close out all no gaming topics. And what would that do to Warspite1[:)] and myself.
No kidding! You'd almost assuredly never get that coveted 5th star then, Zap. By the way, how's that whole thing going anyways? Shouldn't you be updating that topic? [;)]
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

What's your issue, operating? Don't like the forum rules, don't post here. The rules are pretty clear to my eye, what are you wagging your emoticon finger about?

He thinks he has the right to say whatever he wants on a private message board in violation of
said board's rules.

I would submit that if he keeps going on about it, he will have his posting *Privilege*, because that is exactly what is, revoked.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

I would say Operating's actions are starting to border on Slaak level trollish behavior.
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

At least Slaak had humour on his side, well he made me laugh anyway.
"Personal isn't the same as important"
operating

Post by operating »

I posted the forum rules for everybody to see, including myself.[;)] These rules are not readily available in a sub form ect. (at least not that I am aware of), perhaps they should be.

To tell the truth: There are many interpretations as to what the rules mean by members (some who are self-appointed moderators), however the rules explains it comes down to the Matrix Moderators who have the final say. If there were prior disputes about forum rules, I was not aware of them. Regardless, have viewed a number of threads in this forum that were of interest and were frequently posted on by many members, unfortunately from to time, there were posts of a questionable nature that has caused the entire thread to be locked. To me it seemed like everybody who was posting on the thread was being punished, not just the ones who were raising a concern by the Moderators or other members who had an axe to grind. So open minded me decided to seek a way to have an open discussion about locked threads (even though I was not the party that was singled out for causing a thread for being locked). However, the discussion did not go as planed and turned out to be a tougher job than originally thought (it was like walking on eggshells), for that I regret and in ways learned to appreciate. In the future I will keep the above forum rules in mind, as long as they "apply equally" to all forum members.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
budd

Post by budd »

Not even in Slaak' s league, the illuminati wasn't mentioned once.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: operating
In the future I will keep the above forum rules in mind, as long as they "apply equally" to all forum members.

Again, it doesn't matter if this forum ascends to your definition of equal application. Your thoughts about which threads should / should not be locked and forum rules which may or may not apply or some users that may fancy themselves unofficial moderators just don't matter. The only opinions that matter are those of the moderators from Slitherine or Matrix. Full stop.

I can offer my "wisdom" from being around these forums a good many years. And I shall. Here goes: folks that post repeatedly within a small time frame about threads that have been locked up skirt the bounds of what moderators will tolerate. Ditto for pushing your own unparalleled wisdom and wrapping yourself in the flag at others' expense.

Not saying you're doing it, but. Just. Remember. This is a private forum and we are its guests. Guests that bang pots around and drunkenly careen across the kitchen with lampshades atop their melons will be quietly shown the door.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Bottom line is no political discussions or current events,if you want to discuss such topics and games go to The Armchair General forum.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I worked a 12 hour day today so I wasnt able to stay up on any threads but I do know a few things.

1) Otto is a good dude. I enjoy his postings and his knowledge and passion for wargames. If I was able to be online sooner I would have already posted this. I refuse to be part of any chastising of any member, including operating at this juncture. Lifes too short for that and way too many pressings things of far more importance out there.

2) Ive pushed the envelope before on what is acceptable by Matrix standards and forum protocol. I don't want this to be a political forum mainly because Ive found that there are far too many folks that are too firmly entrenched in their political beliefs to even entertain opposing views. I certainly don't care to hear about crackpot conspiracies especially. Now I wouldnt consider constitutional discussions to be political especially concerning the venerable and well established Bill of Rights as Americans. Maybe others do? That would be unfortunate.

3) I understand this is first and foremost a game forum. I appreciate the often broad range of things people discuss and don't question when those that would have me as their guest put the brakes on what they find to be counter productive to their mission.

4) It just doesn't matter

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers....

No Trolling. Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the message board. Trolling could be directed towards one user or a group of users. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion; it only encourages personal attacks and will not be tolerated....

No rude or disrespectful posts to or about any forum moderators or Matrix Games Staff. We will not tolerate any forum member acting in this manner....

I guess you missed seeing those two, operating.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Bottom line is no political discussions or current events,if you want to discuss such topics and games go to The Armchair General forum.

Well, that's not completely true. There have been some current event and political threads allowed. If I remember correctly the vote for Scottish independence was one. And in that one many on the staff of matrix participated. Theories, conjecture, opinions, abounded in that one.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers....

No Trolling. Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the message board. Trolling could be directed towards one user or a group of users. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion; it only encourages personal attacks and will not be tolerated....

No rude or disrespectful posts to or about any forum moderators or Matrix Games Staff. We will not tolerate any forum member acting in this manner....

I guess you missed seeing those two, operating.

Well, that guy the other day said the picture of Iain looked like PeeWee Hermann. Wasn't that disrespectful of a staff member? [:D]
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

I posted the forum rules for everybody to see, including myself.[;)] These rules are not readily available in a sub form ect. (at least not that I am aware of), perhaps they should be.

To tell the truth: There are many interpretations as to what the rules mean by members (some who are self-appointed moderators), however the rules explains it comes down to the Matrix Moderators who have the final say. If there were prior disputes about forum rules, I was not aware of them. Regardless, have viewed a number of threads in this forum that were of interest and were frequently posted on by many members, unfortunately from to time, there were posts of a questionable nature that has caused the entire thread to be locked. To me it seemed like everybody who was posting on the thread was being punished, not just the ones who were raising a concern by the Moderators or other members who had an axe to grind. So open minded me decided to seek a way to have an open discussion about locked threads (even though I was not the party that was singled out for causing a thread for being locked). However, the discussion did not go as planed and turned out to be a tougher job than originally thought (it was like walking on eggshells), for that I regret and in ways learned to appreciate. In the future I will keep the above forum rules in mind, as long as they "apply equally" to all forum members.

When I joined I remember taking the time to read the rules. Nothing in there that is a problem. My only discontent is that Matrix employees have to take time away from game projects in order to babysit people who intentionally break these rules for selfish reasons.
Flipper
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well, that's not completely true. There have been some current event and political threads allowed. If I remember correctly the vote for Scottish independence was one. And in that one many on the staff of matrix participated. Theories, conjecture, opinions, abounded in that one.
warspite1

Yes, from time to time - on most forums I suspect, and certainly the active ones, there is a thread started that is borderline or even overtly political - I have seen these in the WITP-AE and War in the East forums. These are usually (not always) tolerated while the discussion is civil.

And yes, re Scottish Independence, that was by definition, a political thread, but a couple of important things to point out:

1. Despite this being a highly sensitive issue, there was never any unpleasantness.
2. On both sides of the debate, the participants were passionate about 'their country' whether that be an independent Scotland or the United Kingdom remaining intact, but each debater was respectful of the opinions offered by the other.
3. There was no conspiracy theories thrown in about the Illuminati and other rubbish guaranteed to take the topic into unwanted territory.
4. Yes, a couple of Matrix staff joined in.

I like to think the conduct of that thread and the behaviour of those concerned was the reason it was tolerated.

As Lecivius mentioned earlier, the Syria thread had 'Lock' written all over it from Post 1. But the posts were mostly factual or reasoned opinions and no one went off at a tangent - and the thread was not locked. Then we know what happened [8|]...... and the thread was, unsurprisingly, locked.

It's rubbish like this that prove to Matrix we cannot be trusted to self police.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Zap

Post by Zap »

I'm always happy if something can go forward without being locked. Don't want my point to be misinterpreted as being critical I was simply clarifying a statement by bairdlander. But theories about what would happen or could happen it Scotland gained independence were thrown out in that thread. So, my statement was accurate. There are theories and then their are conspiracy theories.
But its not Matrix responsibility to hold forums for politics. Hey, I just go with the flow here if they let some continue its alright with me and if they don't that's alright with me. I'm easy going.

I believe I started the second thread about Scottish independence that was so successful.
So I should get a major part of the credit for how that thread developed in such a positive way, right?[;)]
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

You are correct.I have noticed that certain subjects are taboo(anything anti-conservative/Republican opinions get locked)
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Yes, from time to time - on most forums I suspect, and certainly the active ones, there is a thread started that is borderline or even overtly political - I have seen these in the WITP-AE and War in the East forums. These are usually (not always) tolerated while the discussion is civil.

And yes, re Scottish Independence, that was by definition, a political thread, but a couple of important things to point out:

1. Despite this being a highly sensitive issue, there was never any unpleasantness.
2. On both sides of the debate, the participants were passionate about 'their country' whether that be an independent Scotland or the United Kingdom remaining intact, but each debater was respectful of the opinions offered by the other.
3. There was no conspiracy theories thrown in about the Illuminati and other rubbish guaranteed to take the topic into unwanted territory.
4. Yes, a couple of Matrix staff joined in.

I like to think the conduct of that thread and the behaviour of those concerned was the reason it was tolerated.

As Lecivius mentioned earlier, the Syria thread had 'Lock' written all over it from Post 1. But the posts were mostly factual or reasoned opinions and no one went off at a tangent - and the thread was not locked. Then we know what happened [8|]...... and the thread was, unsurprisingly, locked.

It's rubbish like this that prove to Matrix we cannot be trusted to self police.

Warspite, well said. You do a great job at times of saying what needs to be said in a concise fashion.

Return to “General Discussion”