Can't get DWU Theme's to work

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Balors

Can't get DWU Theme's to work

Post by Balors »

I just built a new computer and reinstalled Distant Worlds Universe(Steam edition) and now I can't get any Theme's to work. I place them in the customization folder like always and DWU detects them and allows me to load them, the name of the theme shows up on the top of the screen like normal but no mods are actually implemented. I have tried Extended Universe and Star Trek The Picard era V2, both of which I have played many times before but neither work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 5-6 times now trying various things and so far nothing has made an impact. I've read through the Steam and Matrix forums and haven't found anyone with similar issues.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on and how I might fix it?

SirHoraceHarkness

RE: Can't get DWU Theme's to work

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

To get themes to work for me I load the default theme then exit the game and restart then load the theme I want to use then exit the game and restart again. Kinda a pain given the long initial load times but I can't get them to work any other way. Dunno if bug or the way its supposed to work.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

SirHorace: that sounds very buggy.

Back in beta I did some bullying with theme changes, and at least some issues were fixed.

Balors: Do you get an error message? Is the game updated? (I guess so since it is Steam).

If they show up they are in the right spot. Do the mod folders actually have content? And the "base mod folder" contains the usual mod folders and stuff? Like races folder, components.txt or something very similar. That kind of stuff?

Just to rule out that you got some "double folder stuff" with "Customization/DWU_Mod_Name/DWU_Mod_Name/ActualModStuff"
Balors

Post by Balors »

Thanks for the reply guys.

SirHoarace:

Unfortunately I have already tried various combinations of switching themes and restarting the game including what you have outlined but so far nothing has worked.

Bingeling:

No, there is no error message or log file when I switch themes. Everything appears to work as it has before. The game is definitely up to date and the mods themselves are complete. I originally used the exact mod folders from my old PC that had worked flawlessly for months before replacing them with fresh downloads once I started having problems.

One thing that I probably should have mentioned in my original post, is that as part of my new PC build I moved from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Not sure if people have been having any Win 10 related issues beyond maybe having to manually install DX9 but its the only difference between the two PC's that the game might actually be sensitive too.

Return to “Design and Modding”