best war game with skirmish?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

jnpoint

best war game with skirmish?

Post by jnpoint »

I really love to play war games, especially turn-based. can anyone recommend one with skirmish? I already have Advanced tactics, Hell and Battle Academy 2. Want to try something new or different :)
aaatoysandmore

RE: best war game with skirmish?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

What do you mean by skirmish? You want "tactical" man to man type stuff or squad to squad?
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

Skirmish as random. So either the units are random or the map is random.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ahhh ok. Well, there's a free game here somewhere's called Steel Panthers World at War. I'm like you I like random map and buy point system of units too.

Panzer Command Osfront here is sort of random in that it rotates the same maps on all sides giving the illusion that it's random but it's really just the same maps from a different angle.

On the other hand the old combat mission games, Overlord, Barbarrosa and Africa Korps by Battlefront generate random everything according to your settings.

As well as John Tiller's "Campaign series" here.

If you like a random chesslike game look at "Conquest Medieval" from Slitherine. It plays like a wargame but really is more like a chess game.

That's all I can think of atm. If there are more I will list them later.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Battle Academy 2.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Battle Academy 2.
Bought that in last week's sale, waiting for Kursk to go on sale next.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

I really love to play war games, especially turn-based. can anyone recommend one with skirmish? I already have Advanced tactics, Hell and Battle Academy 2. Want to try something new or different :)
ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
Panzer Command Osfront here is sort of random in that it rotates the same maps on all sides giving the illusion that it's random but it's really just the same maps from a different angle.

aaatoysandmore is right that PCO uses premade maps, and randomly rotates them. But PCO does have quite a few ( about 85 ) different maps in the random pool that the random battle generator selects from and then can rotate them as well so quite a few different situations arise.

Thanks
Rick
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

ahhh ok. Well, there's a free game here somewhere's called Steel Panthers World at War. I'm like you I like random map and buy point system of units too.

On the other hand the old combat mission games, Overlord, Barbarrosa and Africa Korps by Battlefront generate random everything according to your settings.

As well as John Tiller's "Campaign series" here.

If you like a random chesslike game look at "Conquest Medieval" from Slitherine. It plays like a wargame but really is more like a chess game.

That's all I can think of atm. If there are more I will list them later.

Yes, I have had Conquest Medival and that was in fact easy to learn and fun to play.

John Tiller games is not me, I just don't like the graphics. They might be great, but the graphics just turn me of.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Hey man, you can't have 21st century graphics in every game. [:D] Like my mom used to tell me: Learn to like them. (an episode of eating my spinach). [:'(]

Steel Panthers probably has the worst and oldest graphics of them all but one of the greatest games in the history of wargaming.

You've already got two of the best random map generating games of the modern times and there aren't a lot of them left.

Games outside of WWII would be: Civilization series I thru the dreaded V. and a new game called "HELL" by Slitherine. Very good game and AI is top notch. Players cry about it beating them all the time. Uses the Battle Academy engine with fantasy units.

Oh, almost forgot the Achtung series by some russian developers I think. Has the random but learning the game is hell on wheels and it's dark a lot of times and hard to see the playing field. AI is top notch though if you can get past the rest. Think the offical name is something like "Operation Star".

There are a lot more random games outside of WWII and you can probably find them with a google of the word "random map games for the PC" see what you get.
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

Hey man, you can't have 21st century graphics in every game. [:D] Like my mom used to tell me: Learn to like them. (an episode of eating my spinach). [:'(]

Steel Panthers probably has the worst and oldest graphics of them all but one of the greatest games in the history of wargaming.

You've already got two of the best random map generating games of the modern times and there aren't a lot of them left.

Games outside of WWII would be: Civilization series I thru the dreaded V. and a new game called "HELL" by Slitherine. Very good game and AI is top notch. Players cry about it beating them all the time. Uses the Battle Academy engine with fantasy units.

Oh, almost forgot the Achtung series by some russian developers I think. Has the random but learning the game is hell on wheels and it's dark a lot of times and hard to see the playing field. AI is top notch though if you can get past the rest. Think the offical name is something like "Operation Star".

There are a lot more random games outside of WWII and you can probably find them with a google of the word "random map games for the PC" see what you get.

A wise mom :) - Thanks
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

Frozen Synapse Prime is a tactical futuristic game. It owns a customizable random map generator, you can also choose the number and type of units for the engagements.

The AI is cheated usign fog of war (it knows exactly where you are at any moment) but you can enjoy a lot in MP (fog of war enabled) or SP (without fog of war).
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Oh, man, how could we forget the X-Com series. These are some of the best turn based with random maps game around. The old ones that is I think the new ones like Beyond and Within use the same maps a lot but have different ones for different missions. The old X-com like Defend and Terror I'm pretty sure had random maps on missions. If you don't have these you don't have a gaming library. [:'(]
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Jagged Alliance 2 v 1.13. Great mechanics. Sadly it has some gamey stuff like starting out with pistols.

UFO: Enemy Unknown (now playable on multiple platforms and moddable with OpenXcom engine). Great atmosphere. Brutal combat.

Silent Storm. Great engine. Fully destructible terrain in 3D.

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Advanced Tactic Gold would be one too, have you tried that game? Not sure what era you looking for.

Return to “General Discussion”