Hints and Tips: Artillery

Jason Petho

Hints and Tips: Artillery

Post by Jason Petho »

Artillery

This is a brief overview and introduction on Artillery and its use in the Campaign Series Middle East game. I always have the option to have Indirect Fire by the map turned on.

A few guidelines about this discussion on Artillery;

1. It is assumed the reader has a basic understanding of Artillery.

2. Artillery covers every piece capable of indirect fire.

Things to consider with Artillery in the Campaign Series;

1. The smallest unit of artillery is a battery, usually consisting of 2 to 6 tubes of the same caliber. 2 to 6 tubes for mortars.

2. A typical artillery formation consists of 3 batteries and an HQ unit. In most cases some form of transport is also included, usually some form of heavy truck or dedicated transport.

Headquarters
1. Battery
2. Battery
3. Battery
Transport
Transport
Transport

3. All Artillery is supplied using the Arty Ammo Supply. HQ’s do provide supply to Artillery and the Arty Ammo Supply will usually be different than the main Base Ammo level. This is essential to know when you moving your artillery batteries or battalion as a whole.

4. Adding a leader to an Artillery piece firing indirectly, does not increase the firepower of the Artillery piece.

5. Based on the Campaign Series attack values, the closer you are to your target, the more effective your artillery will be. Typically, firing from less than 10 hexes will yield the best results.

6. Some Artillery units have a Minimum range as well as a Maximum. This is especially true of most Rocket units and large (120mm+) mortars.

7. Most Artillery units cost 50 Action Points to fire. Some require 100 Action Points.

There are four basic tactical uses for artillery; indirect fire support, direct fire support, pursuit and security.

Indirect Fire Support, Unobserved:

All of the combatants during the war were capable of firing Artillery by coordinates on a map and by the use of a forward observer. Unfortunately, it appears that everyone and their dog is a forward observer in the Campaign Series.

Plotting indirectly by the map is a tactic I use relatively frequently. I am all about cheap thrills and there is much pleasure to be had watching the losses add up, generally in soft skin vehicles, to an opponent I haven’t even seen yet.

I will use indirect fire by the map for counter-battery fire, to soften up potential assembly areas and for nuisance, hoping to reduce an HQ or two.

A few considerations before using indirect fire by the map;

1. Am I going to need the artillery in a next couple/few turns?

2. How well do I know my opponent and his tactics? Will he bunch up his forces? Does he make an effort to pick hiding places?

3. Is the range so far any damage done will be minimal? Is the opponent ready to have an artillery duel?

4. Indirect fire by the map will drift up to 500 metres (2 hexes) in all directions from the target hex. Although, if you are playing with the Adaptive AI checked on, this distance can vary depending on the proficiency of the army firing indirectly. With Adaptive AI checked on, this distance can vary between 0 and 4 hexes, the more proficient, the less drift will be experienced.

Indirect Fire Support, Observed:

More often than not, this will be the method that you use your Artillery assets. This is plotting artillery with units that have Line of Sight, hopefully remaining so next turn, to your targeted hexes. There are three basic tactics for firing; harassing fire, barrage and concentration.

Harassing Fire:

This is general targeting of opposing forces in their present or future turn location. The goal is to cause disruptions or minor losses of a probing force, or provide basic support when on the attack.

For harassing fire, I tend to target the same hex with one battery, meaning two artillery plots.

Barrage:

This is creating a wall of fire, the size of the wall and the extent of the wall being dependent on how much artillery is available. As I generally play the larger scenarios, creating a “wall” so to speak isn’t that difficult. Infantry type units will be the primary targets.

When defending, plotting the front of the wall, usually 4 hexes wide, starting with the highest caliber guns. If I have enough artillery assets available, I will plot one battery per hex. The next wall will be one hex back along the most likely avenue of retreat; again, if the resources are there, I will plot one battery per hex.

When attacking, I will follow the above, with the addition of placing smoke at the end of the plotting to cover my forces, especially when crossing open ground.

Concentration:

This is used when I need to break a hole into my opponent’s defensive line, or to break up an attack. As the word suggests, this is concentrating all, or as much as possible, artillery to a selected area. By doing this I am hoping for disruptions, retreats and losses. Infantry type units will be the primary targets.

When I know an attack is going to happen, I will usually withhold using my artillery for a turn or two to ensure all my tubes have ammo.

Massed artillery, especially when causing casualties, is extremely effective at reducing the morale of your opponent.

Direct Fire Support:

More often than not, I will use my self-propelled artillery and mortars in a direct fire support role. Shooting and scooting when possible with the self-propelled artillery. Targeting Infantry type units with direct fire almost always results in losses and disruptions against my opponent.

Since they tend to become a nuisance for my opponent, there will be a dedicated effort in dealing with them, which can work in your favour tactically.

Pursuit:

You have broken through your opponent’s defensive line and you are pouring the gap into the rear to complete your mission. As noted above in Point 5, it is wise to bring your artillery assets with you. Self-propelled guns are ideal for this, but loading stationary guns onto halftracks to follow your tanks should be considered.

Leapfrogging artillery assets when mobile is ideal; one battalion on the move, one battalion unloaded and providing some support. Remember to assign AA and infantry to protect them, especially when your flanks are not secured.

Security:

Typically, your artillery is set up in the rear with its transport and HQ. Most artillery pieces have decent direct fire Anti-Tank capabilities at close range (less than 4 hexes). Take a few turns to maneuver the guns into ambush positions just in case your opponent has broken through your lines, or have outflanked your main force. Additionally, place the Artillery unit HQ in an ambush position, as they tend also have decent firing capabilities. Although only good for one or two shots, the HQ can provide a nasty surprise to an unsuspecting opponent so they are not completely useless.

The HQ, using the new organizations, now provide supply to the inherent MG and AT security units for the artillery battalion… making them even more useful!

Targeting:

This is the general order of target priority in which I plot artillery when not in battle:

Headquarters
Soft Transport
Artillery
Anti-Tank
Anti-Aircraft
Engineers
Machineguns
Infantry
Armour
Helicopters (if a helicopter is hovering continually in the same hex, it is fair game)

Some general notes about artillery:

1. There is never enough!

2. Use F2 and see what the effective ranges are of your assets!

3. The more damage you want to inflict, the closer your artillery has to be!

kipanderson

RE: Hints and Tips: Artillery

Post by kipanderson »

Jason,

Thanks.. good quick hints.

All the best,
Kip.
RFC

Post by RFC »

Thanks Jason! This is very, very helpful. [&o]
"I'm sorry, baby. Start your countdown without me and I'll be back before you can say 'Blast off!'"
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

bump
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads