Best WW1 Wargame

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

skybluerob

Best WW1 Wargame

Post by skybluerob »

Hello,

Does anyone have any reccomendations for the best WW1 PC Wargame?

Thanks.

Rob.
KISSMEUFOOL!

RE: Best WW1 Wargame

Post by KISSMEUFOOL! »

KISSMEUFOOL!

Post by KISSMEUFOOL! »

KISSMEUFOOL!

Post by KISSMEUFOOL! »

The Spanish Civil War was also a very WWWI style war-
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module ... _1936-1939
skybluerob

Post by skybluerob »

Thanks. Although are these for more than one player, on the links they indicate 2+? I'm a lone gamer so was more looking for a game that will play against me with AI.

I'll take a look at these though, thanks.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: skybluerob

Thanks. Although are these for more than one player, on the links they indicate 2+? I'm a lone gamer so was more looking for a game that will play against me with AI.

I'll take a look at these though, thanks.

Matrix/Slitherine have a few WWI games.

I recall Frank Hunter did one a few years back, I think Guns of August was the name. And I think there is a Commander, the Great War is anohter.

Thanks
Rick
operating

Post by operating »

Rick beat me to it. Even though development of the this game Commander - The Great War has come to a halt, it's still a really decent game both in SP and MP, it excels in MP. The CTGW forums are just loaded with comments, both to help and otherwise.

Look here for CTGW: tt.asp?forumid=814
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
operating

Post by operating »

Here's another game to seriously consider: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=450 with the Breakthrough expansion patch. Has a lot of scenarios and I'd say a bit more complicated than CTGW.
skybluerob

Post by skybluerob »

Thanks, both of these look good and what I'm looking for. Now to decide which one.....
operating

Post by operating »

I'll say one thing for SCWWI: Bill and Carter (dev's) are very helpful with helping a player figure the game mechanics out, whereas, the dev's for CTGW are OTL (out to lunch), however there are many in the CTGW community (including myself) who are more than willing to help you in any way they can.[;)]
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Honestly, IMO, there are none better than WW1 Centennial.

World War One – La Grande Guerre was released way too early with many bugs and a map that was oriented where up on the map was east and left on the map was north. People hated it.

WW1 Gold, which Matrix sold, fixed that with a proper aligned map and many bug fixes. The game was better but still buggy. Such a shame as it was a truly deep game modeled after the huge boardgame of the same name.

Then last year WW1 Centennial was released by a small developer with even more bug fixes and optimizations. From what I gather they were sued over the IP of the game and since then the company has been dissolved. It is however still available. The tutorials are horrid. the manual hodgepodged, the game super complex, but if you dont mind investing some effort, imo there is no other computer wargame that gathers the look and feel of WW1 like it.

There is a demo to an old buggy WW1 Gold out there just to see how it looks. Centennial is a much more polished product than the demo will show though.

Even with all of its warts and steep learning curve the game is still one of my favorite all time games.

mo reb

EDIT
Might want to w\be cautious if you are running windows 10. Reinstalled WW1 Centennial last night on my new win 10 machine and the game was giving me problems. Need to investigate further. Also the fact that it wont be patched further may be a deterrent for you.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
skybluerob

Post by skybluerob »

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I still don't know which one, but I've narrowed it down to Commander: Great War, Strategic Commander or another one I found online called Squad Battles: WW1, which I have to say, looks right up my street. I couldn't get the World War Gold demo to run.

I'm not a very experienced wargamer, and the Strategic Commander demo is a bit daunting, it could do with a small tutorial to get you up and running. I think I might start with Squad Battles. Has anyone tried it?
wodin

Post by wodin »

1. WW1 Gold\ Centennial Edition
2. Strategic Command The Great War
3. Squad Battles First World War
4. John Tillers France'14

Non Wargame but best WW1 games..

1.Wings Over Flanders Fields with Expansions
2. Verdun (Superb online shooter like a WW1 Red Orchestra).
Volunteer

Post by Volunteer »

WW1 FPS/squadplay Verdun. Multiplayer only: available through Steam.
operating

Post by operating »

Can see that you are already committed to a game of choice. The WWI game list would not be complete with out "Guns of August" (released 2007): tt.asp?forumid=104

Take note: KISSMEUFOOL's suggested game, I believe maybe a different GOA than the above sited game.
operating

Post by operating »

Almost forgot about Total War WW I mod, here's a YouTube video of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DShbDtdn-KU
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

excellent game: Ageod's To End All Wars http://www.ageod.com/products/533/detai ... d.All.Wars

operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

excellent game: Ageod's To End All Wars http://www.ageod.com/products/533/detai ... d.All.Wars
Yes, bought that game months and months ago and still have not seriously played it yet. Good call![;)]
ashandresash

Post by ashandresash »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I agree. I'm into a MP now and it's a very good game, quite challenging.
skybluerob

Post by skybluerob »

Quite a lot of choices, which is always a good thing. I decided to go with Squad Battles: WW1 as my first choice and am really enjoying it. I had a minor victory in the starter scenario, may have had a major one had two of my tanks not become immobilised (one I drove into gas, possibly a rookie mistake).

Overall though, seems like a good game, I'm certainly enjoying it. I'll probably get a grand strategy title in a few months' time once I've played more of this game, but thanks for all the suggestions. I can see me probably getting my feet wet with Commander: Great War, as it seems to be more user friendly for less experienced gamers. But I'll see nearer the time (I'd really like to get into Strategic Commander, but the isometric view puts me off a little, I prefer top down).

But thanks again for all the comments, very helpful.

Return to “General Discussion”