Wish List

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
sPzAbt653

RE: Wish List

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Stacking Limits ? What about stacking limits of less than 9 units set by the scenario designer ? That might be useful.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
Stacking Limits ? What about stacking limits of less than 9 units set by the scenario designer ? That might be useful.

Or a stacking limit not determined by number of units, but unit "density". Not to keep harping on PzC, but it has a stacking limited determined by the number of men/vehicles in the units, not the units themselves. Makes sense...
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Or a stacking limit not determined by number of units, but unit "density".

Oh yeah, that is a more gooder idea. Even way back in the 90's, games would know that a hex could contain three regiments or nine battalions. Or two regiments plus three battalions, etc.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

to keep the existing player base tottering along for a few more years, its one thing, but hopefully it is intended to achieve a much wider player base and set the standard for operational wargames for the foreseeable future, in which case they should expend .......

My Wargaming resume': Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, Ambush, Patrol, Uncommon Valour, The RUN5 series by SSG in the 80's and 90's, SSG's series over the last 10 years starting with Korsun Pocket, Computer War in Europe 2 and a few others.

I recently installed TOAW3 as a kind of demo to TOAW4. I cannot see TOAW4 getting a wider wargaming player base.

76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98
I recently installed TOAW3 as a kind of demo to TOAW4. I cannot see TOAW4 getting a wider wargaming player base.

Could you elaborate? I agree that TOAW III is not going to get much traction, patch or no patch, but think that with a new UI, graphics, and a few other innovations (cough, cough hex-side rivers[8D]) TOAW IV will do well--there is not another game like it...

I stopped playing TAOW III years ago because I hate the UI, but like the engine quite a bit. Since you're using III as a "demo" for IV, presumably it is the engine you dislike, not the UI/graphics?
piesym

Post by piesym »

Love it very much! Will toaw run on Mac OS?
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
Could you elaborate?

I have found 3 separate tutorials.

I will go through all of them and then respond

Joe

76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98
I will go through all of them and then respond

Great, thanks, would appreciate it. I'm sort of idly curious, but who knows, maybe you'll mention something that can be (or has been) fixed for TOAW IV.
sad git

Post by sad git »

Is this the request thread? I'd really like for fog of war (spotted/unknown hexes) to be easier to identify at a glance by a greyed out overlay on the map. Also something similar for Supply, maybe a colored overlay instead of icons? And while I'm at it, dispense with those hideous icons on the right of the screen, and the "3d" graphic icons.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: sad git
Is this the request thread? I'd really like for fog of war (spotted/unknown hexes) to be easier to identify at a glance by a greyed out overlay on the map. Also something similar for Supply, maybe a colored overlay instead of icons? And while I'm at it, dispense with those hideous icons on the right of the screen, and the "3d" graphic icons.
I really like the idea of a colored overlay instead of icons. It would look more professional or something.

Also, I would like to have some transport ships to carry supply from a supplied port to an unsupplied port, say. And subs to
hunt the transports.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Toan

Post by Toan »

How about engineering units that can build ports, airfields, and think of it, roads!
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

I'm a simple man. I have simple needs.

In replay - if moves, which I cannot see would be skiped, replays would be much shorter
In OOB - mode: splitt units show the coordinates of only two sub units. It's hard to find the thrid one
In battle log - only the first 17 (?) units types are shown

such things. Would be great, if that would be improved. Oh, and a "whole formation move to"-button would be nice, too :)

Oh, and more then 2 sides. Today an ETE is the end for the whole turn. How to imagine that? WW2, a british soldier near El Alamain: "Sir, I have to report, that a german company has set up strong resistance agains a soviet company at the Volga!" Major: "Ok, we won't attack for the rest of the week!" [:'(]
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Cfant2

I'm a simple man. I have simple needs.

In OOB - mode: splitt units show the coordinates of only two sub units. It's hard to find the thrid one

Huh? Screenshot?
In battle log - only the first 17 (?) units types are shown

That's fixed.
Oh, and more then 2 sides.

You are not a simple man. You do not have simple needs. [:-]
Today an ETE is the end for the whole turn. How to imagine that? WW2, a british soldier near El Alamain: "Sir, I have to report, that a german company has set up strong resistance agains a soviet company at the Volga!" Major: "Ok, we won't attack for the rest of the week!" [:'(]

BTS system fixes this.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

It's nice to let one's mind fly and dream about new features, but I think it's a little late for that (or was already late when the game was announced). What I would want is more information about the features that are being implemented, how they affect the game, what had to be left out, see the new graphics, the interface... are those simple needs? [:)]
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

Here is what I mean. The 97th Jäger is splitt up in 3 parts. They are on 2 different hexfields. Hard to find them with this info...

here they are:

One part on hex 30,46, but where are the other two? [;)]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

One part on hex 30,46, but where are the other two?
I'm running into that same problem and I'm finding them at the tail end of the OOB. I guess that's the default for units that break
into pieces.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

The unit database for each scenario is written in stone, it is not dynamic. So when units are broken down it HAS to be added to the end because when the game was programmed there was no thought about rearranging the unit data in the scenario. Maybe they decided it would be easier to take the lazy way out.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Maybe they decided it would be easier to take the lazy way out.
I used to work as a computer programmer and I can tell you from experience that data that changes dynamically is MUCH
easier added or subtracted from the end of a pointed list or a vector list or a bag or some other standard container. Two-ended
pointers CAN be used to put them into the stream of data hierarchicly ( I phrased that badly ), I mean in the order of the
hierarchy as it exists *now* but they are a big drag on code footprint and real-time expended especially when you're using
threads and there can be many of them. It's not only just the lazy way, it's better.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

One part on hex 30,46, but where are the other two?

Select the part on 30,46 then hit next or previous to locate the others.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”