Any good movies set during these conflicts?

The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Moderator: Jason Petho

HeinzHarald

Any good movies set during these conflicts?

Post by HeinzHarald »

I've been trying to think of movies (not documentaries) but am drawing a blank at the moment.

Watching a movie and then reading up on what actually happened is my favorite way to learn history, and I know embarrassingly little about these conflicts.
Nico165b165

RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts?

Post by Nico165b165 »

Lebanon - filmed mostly inside an inexperienced tank crew during Lebanon's invasion in 82 (warning for claustrophobics)

Kippur - about an Israeli helicopter rescue team in 73
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Interesting, didn't know of these, thank you!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Lebanon is all in Hebrew so most of us have to used the subtitles but very good movie. The lebanon I knew and...
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
leftydad

Post by leftydad »

There is a 2014 documentary (by Steven Spielberg's sister)about the 1948 Arab-Israeli air war, ABOVE AND BEYOND.

http://aboveandbeyondthemovie.com/
James
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: leftydad

There is a 2014 documentary (by Steven Spielberg's sister)about the 1948 Arab-Israeli air war, ABOVE AND BEYOND.

http://aboveandbeyondthemovie.com/

Looks like pure class. USD 12.99 to view at iTunes. DVD pre-order for USD 14.99.

Hmm...
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

Not about the war per se, but Waltz with Bashir is an amazing look a the psychology of war and memory, set around the events of 1982 in Lebanon. There's a graphic novel, too, that is quite good. I've used both in classes I teach. The movie is animated, and quite powerful; it's depiction of combat is a far cry from the triumphalism that permeates a lot of writing about the IDF.
leftydad

Post by leftydad »

With Amazon Prime, you can watch it for free.
James
leftydad

Post by leftydad »

SIX DAYS IN JUNE is one book I've read. By Eric Hammel. Also available as an audio book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IP ... 1_3&sr=8-3
James
HeinzHarald

Post by HeinzHarald »

Thank you for the suggestions. They all sound very interesting.
leftydad

Post by leftydad »

FYI, my grandparents came from Sweden. (To USA)

James Larson
James
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

The Movie that I know of that gives background is: EXODUS(written by Leon Uris, Stars Paul Newman). It tells the story of Israel up to the establishment of the State and covers some of the early armed conflict. I am not aware of any war movie that depicts any of the major Arab Israeli wars, however.
comte

Post by comte »

Beaufort is a decent movie about the late war in Lebanon. It's out of the time frame of the game but still worth a watch. The Beaufort book the movie is based on by Ron Leshem is also good.

Shabbat Shalom
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

The Movie that I know of that gives background is: EXODUS(written by Leon Uris, Stars Paul Newman). It tells the story of Israel up to the establishment of the State and covers some of the early armed conflict. I am not aware of any war movie that depicts any of the major Arab Israeli wars, however.

While this was one of my favorite movies as a kid (book, too), I would hesitate to offer it today as good background, as it doesn't really meet contemporary standards of balance, much less objectivity. Not that fiction has to, by any means, but the depiction of Arabs in the movie borders on caricature, and the heroic Zionist settlers trope has worn a bit thin after a generation or two more of scholarship. But yeah, we grew up on this stuff, and Newman makes a hell of a sexy hero for sure.
HeinzHarald

Post by HeinzHarald »

ORIGINAL: leftydad

FYI, my grandparents came from Sweden. (To USA)

James Larson
Yeah, a lot of Swedes left for the US a few generations ago. In fact my great grandfather emigrated to the US in the mid 1920s, leaving my 1 or 2 years old grandfather and his mother behind.

- Harald Carlsson
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

ORIGINAL: TheWombat

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

While this was one of my favorite movies as a kid (book, too), I would hesitate to offer it today as good background, as it doesn't really meet contemporary standards of balance, much less objectivity. Not that fiction has to, by any means, but the depiction of Arabs in the movie borders on caricature, and the heroic Zionist settlers trope has worn a bit thin after a generation or two more of scholarship. But yeah, we grew up on this stuff, and Newman makes a hell of a sexy hero for sure.

I am absolutely opposed to posting ANY kind of political content on this gaming forum and therefore will not challenge your statement.

VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

One of my favorite movies is the "Raid on Entebbe" with Anthony Hopkins (Hannibal). Although it does not depict any of the general middle eastern combat actions it certainly is a great story about an amazing special forces action undertaken by the "Unit".
leftydad

Post by leftydad »

Bad Swede!

My Swedish grandmother couldn't adjust to things after she got here, and ended up having electro-shock therapy when they first started using it. Tough world, for sure.
James
dudalb_slith

Post by dudalb_slith »

"Cast A Giant Shadow" with Kirk Douglas, is the story of Mickey Marcus,an American West Point Graduate who fought for Israel in the 1948 war. Also features John Wayne,Yul Bryner,and Frank Sinatra in guest roles.
Not that great a movie, but some really nice battles scenes, the battle of Latrun in particular is well done. (This one is featured in the game). Also a nice Elmer Bernstein score.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

Yes, I forgot about "Cast A Giant Shadow". I recently watched it, good movie and as far as I know it is pretty much factual as far as the life and actions of the main character.

Good combat scenes involving the Israelis versus the Jordanians as I recall.

Return to “Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985”