OT - Hearts of Iron IV thread

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Numdydar

OT - Hearts of Iron IV thread

Post by Numdydar »

This game is looking pretty cool so far. Plus they put NATO counters back in makes it even better. It also looks like they have taken a page from AE's design [:)]

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-19th-development-diary-3rd-of-july-2015.867684/

It looks like you have to build actual equipment and it is stored in equipment pools like in AE. Then you design units where you can assign the equipment you built to them. Unlike AE where the computer assigns them.

If this actually works it will be interesting to be able to build different types of supporting equipment and assign them to units as you see fit [X(]

I would also assume that the CV of a unit would be an approximation of ability (similar to WitE/W) and the combat would model varying range/weapon types shooting at each other during the combat versus CV versus CV. One can hope anyway [:)]
rroberson

RE: OT - Hearts of Iron IV thread

Post by rroberson »

I have tried two versions of this and the engine is just does not work with the era. It is brillant for pick and axe...but modern warfare...not so much.

Did they ever fix the carrier problem?
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Interestingly, it was HoI 3 that was the "gateway drug" that led me to start playing WitP.

I think it was a good game. It had significant flaws, and it had innumerable issues, but it managed to do a decent job of letting you fight WW2 on a global scale.

Not much for realism, which I think will rule out many on this forum, but that doesn't make it a bad game. Sure, it's completely unrealistic that Brazil can conquered all of South America and capture Panama, but it sure is fun!

It's also where I wrote my first AAR - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... sr.536156/
rroberson

Post by rroberson »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Interestingly, it was HoI 3 that was the "gateway drug" that led me to start playing WitP.

I think it was a good game. It had significant flaws, and it had innumerable issues, but it managed to do a decent job of letting you fight WW2 on a global scale.

Not much for realism, which I think will rule out many on this forum, but that doesn't make it a bad game. Sure, it's completely unrealistic that Brazil can conquered all of South America and capture Panama, but it sure is fun!

It's also where I wrote my first AAR - https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... sr.536156/

yeah...i played the first two versions of it...pretty extensively...but the lack of realism sank it for me (which shocks you :P) it was an okay beer and pretzels type game...but nothing more.

mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: rroberson

yeah...i played the first two versions of it...pretty extensively...but the lack of realism sank it for me (which shocks you :P) it was an okay beer and pretzels type game...but nothing more.

From the perspective of someone who, prior to Hearts of Iron 3, didn't go in much for war-games, I thought it struck the right note - in some circumstances realism isn't always a good thing. It was easy enough that you could pick it up quickly, while having the depth to make it a reasonable challenge to master, but not too deep that you get caught up in the detail.

The main attraction for me was the sheer scope of the game. Industry, diplomacy and politics were all there (even if the politics system was a bit bare) as was combat (on the ground, at sea and in the air) for any country on the world. In those circumstances I was content to overlook the fact that it was possible for Japan to build five Yamato-class battleships at the same time.

That said, I do look back on HoI with a certain nostalgia. I went back to the game (modded, the HPP I think) about 6 months ago and tried a game as Japan and it was a disappointment. The naval and air war components of the game were it's weakest, and that's what playing Japan is all about.

I did, however, have a very enjoyable campaign as the Communist Chinese. The ground warfare component of that game was it's real strength in my opinion - much better than AE's.
rroberson

Post by rroberson »

Have you tried any of their other games...I have a love affair with both victoria and victoria 2 (though the first one was worlds better in my estimation).
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

This game is looking pretty cool so far. Plus they put NATO counters back in makes it even better. It also looks like they have taken a page from AE's design [:)]

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-19th-development-diary-3rd-of-july-2015.867684/

It looks like you have to build actual equipment and it is stored in equipment pools like in AE. Then you design units where you can assign the equipment you built to them. Unlike AE where the computer assigns them.

If this actually works it will be interesting to be able to build different types of supporting equipment and assign them to units as you see fit [X(]

I would also assume that the CV of a unit would be an approximation of ability (similar to WitE/W) and the combat would model varying range/weapon types shooting at each other during the combat versus CV versus CV. One can hope anyway [:)]

Thanks for the link. Now that I'm working, I'm having a hard time finding time to play games. How do you guys cope? I had heard of trying to get your wife to get a second job.
rroberson

Post by rroberson »

I think my wife wishes I had a girlfriend...that hobby would be cheaper then my gaming and model one :P
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

HOI-2 was amazing, this with a realism mod called CORE or something like that, I don't remember the exact name

I bought HOI-3 the first day it was avaialable, but hated it so much I never played it again.

I don't think I will be buying HOI-4; problem for me is that all Paradox games suck in terms of naval combat. They have never been able to provide a decent naval warfare model. Land is OK
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

I have been waiting for this one for a long time.

Which, given my track record, only means that I will be monumentally disappointed when I actually get it.

Regards,
Feltan
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

HOI-2 was amazing, this with a realism mod called CORE or something like that, I don't remember the exact name

I bought HOI-3 the first day it was avaialable, but hated it so much I never played it again.

I don't think I will be buying HOI-4; problem for me is that all Paradox games suck in terms of naval combat. They have never been able to provide a decent naval warfare model. Land is OK

They definitely aware of the weakness of the naval system in past titles. However you should look at some of their Development Diaries they have up that discuss this as it looks like they are going to get naval combat right this time. Of course we are still 6-9 months away from release so they do have a lot of extra time to get it right this time.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I think that is why they are going down the 'build equipment' and use that to build units path. That way the player has historical equipment by country and that is used to build its units.

Another thing they have done is restrict the amount of Industry each country can have. There are some countries that can never have any industry at all [X(]. Which is very realistic imho. This will definitely put a damper on smaller countries being able to overrun larger ones.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Played HOI-2 few times around also with some historical mods. Was pretty fun game. AI game was plain horrible, yet I played also online with 2 friends (usually playing Britain/Germany/Russia trio).

But it just lacks the details of WITPAE...
rroberson

Post by rroberson »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I think that is why they are going down the 'build equipment' and use that to build units path. That way the player has historical equipment by country and that is used to build its units.

Another thing they have done is restrict the amount of Industry each country can have. There are some countries that can never have any industry at all [X(]. Which is very realistic imho. This will definitely put a damper on smaller countries being able to overrun larger ones.

As it should...maybe I will take another look at it...if they fixed navy, I could be all in on it again...I lost a lot of hours to the first HOI.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

The thing with the HOI series is it's better to wait at least a year after the release for two reasons: 1) it'll be a lot cheaper; and 2) it'll be somewhat fixed. I don't think they ever get "fixed" per se, but at least they get better. Also, the mods can be pretty good.

And yes, naval combat in every one of these has been horrible.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Hoi3 is the worst of the series, Hoi4 can only be better than this. Plus I don't like the Paradox' habit to release new extensions instead of fixing outstanding bugs in the vanilla version.
The best of the older series currently is Arsenal of Democracy with CORE mod.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

The thing with the HOI series is it's better to wait at least a year after the release for two reasons: 1) it'll be a lot cheaper; and 2) it'll be somewhat fixed. I don't think they ever get "fixed" per se, but at least they get better. Also, the mods can be pretty good.

And yes, naval combat in every one of these has been horrible.

Cheers,
CC

I agreed with Cody, really no point of buying it when release. They will be patches coming and coming til it more balance and stable. It took HoI III nearly a year after it release. The game doesn't look too bad, but this naval combat is a lot better than they had previous Series...

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... at.805413/
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: rroberson

Same exact experience here. Played the first two, but couldn't handle the way troops loaded instantly on transport ships and many other unrealistic aspects.

Hans

JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

If you buy it make sure you wait at least 6 months before playing it. Paradox have had some horrendous launches the last couple of years.
Mudmag99

Post by Mudmag99 »

Always wait for the MODS, Vanilla is always bugged and unrealistic. Honestly if you could marry a Matrix WitE or WitP with it's detail, AI, and scope and HOI production options I think you would have the ultimate WW2 game. I've always wanted to see things like what if the Germans went with the development of the FW 190 over the ME. Would the extra fuel the FW carried turn the Battle of Britain?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”