[FIXED Command v1.10] Not sure how well refueling is working

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

JPFisher55

[FIXED Command v1.10] Not sure how well refueling is working

Post by JPFisher55 »

Recently, I seem to lose a lot of aircraft due to running out of fuel even if I have plenty of tankers in the air. This attached file and the scenario is a good example.
Attachments
Operation..er1965.zip
(133.46 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
RoryAndersonCDT

RE: Not sure how well refueling is working

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

Hi JPFisher55,

Logged, and I'll take a look, sorry the pilots are running out of gas [:D]

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

What version are you running at the time you experienced the issue?
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

Try adding a couple more RPs to the Support mission. Your tankers are circling one RP, not that it's impossible, but surely not ideal.
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

I'm running B746. I have tried two RP's for tanker missions and it seems that the planes have a harder time refueling from the tankers than with only one RP.
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

Cant run the game right now and look, but do you set your tankers to loiter speed on station? Makes it easier for others to catch up
My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

Yes, all my tankers are set to loiter on patrol which is the auto setting.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Try 2 or 4. 1 is not recommended at all.

Mike
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

Mike, I have tried two or four RP's for tanker missions. From what I could observe, it took a/c longer to reach the tanker than when I used only 1 RP for tanker missions.
This may not simulate real life, but, in my experience, it works best in the game. It may be that they are not fully refueling when they do refuel or don't refuel when they should when they are returning from a mission.
I'll try using two or four RP's spaced farther apart. Maybe this will help the a/c refuel more efficiently once they reach the tanker.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I would spread the tankers out over a patrol line about 100nm long (back towards base) since you have so many of them. As well, I grab a bunch and forced them to go a bit further than the top RP so that they could try to spread out a bit. I would think that the incoming a/c would be having trouble deciding on which is closest as they keep circling the one point.
And you don't really need to launch all of them - I usually launch a few and keep a steady pipeline (1/3 on station)
--
Only lost one more a/c after doing this.
--
Also I would have had them fly as single a/c and not as 'groups' in the support mission parameters
The number of planes wanting to refuel seems to overload the both the tanker and planes needing fuel
---
I am hazarding a guess that there maybe a problem with the wingmen not getting refueled. Watching some groups refuel, the lead always seems to get a full load, but not the wingman. Haven't noticed this before in earlier refueling tests.[&:]
Michael
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

I'm digging into this one....

You don't happen to have an earlier savegame as well, when the first wave of bombers had hit their targets and were returning home?

Why didn't the first wave drop their bombs?

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I have tried to set an example:
I have launched several individual and one group of 5 planes towards a target. In between is a tanker support line which the bombers will head for.
After the planes begin to refuel, the group lead will get fuel and start to fly onward towards target taking its wingmen with it. Some have not refueled though and will most likely splash.
The individual planes (those not in a group) refueled fine.
--
Load and run the save for a few minutes...
Attachments
Operation..r1965a.zip
(98.85 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Michael
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

I agree with Michaelm. I observed the same thing. I tried ordering more refueling, but it did not seem to work. I believe this is why the first wave of bombers reached bingo fuel before reaching their targets.
When I tried using attack missions rather than manual plotting, the bombers mostly reached their targets. However, many ran out of fuel on the way home despite the large number of tankers on station to refuel them. It may be that since most tankers could not fully refuel a returning bomber so it decided not to refuel and ran dry. Maybe this is a limitation of the game because a/c won't refuel from a tanker unless it has enough fuel to completely refuel the a/c. When I started losing some returning bombers to fuel outage, I tried ordering some of the returning bombers to refuel, but they refused.
The scenario name is Operation Blockbuster, but I deleted it since I ended it. I have noticed more a/c running out of fuel in the betas of 1.09.
JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

I found the original scenario and attached it. I did update its database. You might want to play it to test refueling.
Attachments
1971B54906..4017B716.zip
(91.69 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Thanks for the files guys! I think I've already fixed the problem observed by Michaelm in the 1.10 code. Will test and see.

ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Okay have made 5-6 improvements to the code and JPFisher55's original savegame seems to run fine. However the tanker station needs 2 waypoints [8D]

Will run though the other two scens next.

Tanker stuff is horribly complex hehe. No wonder the Harpoon guys abandoned the whole thing [8D]

ComDev

Post by ComDev »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

I have tried to set an example:
I have launched several individual and one group of 5 planes towards a target. In between is a tanker support line which the bombers will head for.
After the planes begin to refuel, the group lead will get fuel and start to fly onward towards target taking its wingmen with it. Some have not refueled though and will most likely splash.
The individual planes (those not in a group) refueled fine.
--
Load and run the save for a few minutes...

Thanks! Have made a ton of improvements and this should work fine in Command v1.10 [8D]

Return to “Tech Support”