[WAD + IMPR v1.11] SSN-3 and SSN-19 missiles bug in BOL mode

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

wild_Willie2

[WAD + IMPR v1.11] SSN-3 and SSN-19 missiles bug in BOL mode

Post by wild_Willie2 »

I ran a few test to check the effect of jamming on SSN missiles and found out that SSN-3 and SSN-19 missiles will ALWAYS miss in BOL mode against a jamming target while they both should have HOJ function. However, when I target them using the manual attack mode they hit close to 100 % of the time.

I will include a test save where I just fired two salvos of SSN-19 missiles at the same jamming target and you will see all 20 BOL launch missiles miss while the four manual attack mode missiles hit.
Attachments
SSN19bug..BOLmode.zip
(57.37 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
ComDev

RE: SSN-3 and SSN-19 missiles bug in BOL mode

Post by ComDev »

Thanks for the report [8D]

What version of the sim are you using?

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

I am using RC11, B746.

W.
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Okay hehe... I ran the attached scen in the debugger, with SS-N-19s fired in BOL mode.

This is NOT an error in the radar model. In fact you can try non-datalinked SS-N-2c (non-HOJ) and SS-N-2d (HOJ) and you will see. Rather, it is a by-design edge-case for re-targeting of datalinked weapons. Since the shooting unit is in active control of the weapon, it will only attempt to re-direct them onto targets that are in the ship's target list. This is to avoid wasting ammo on stuff that is of no interest to the shooter. I.e. only mission relevant or manually targeted contacts.

To see how this works, do this:

Got to Map Settings -> Targeting Vectors -> Show All. The targeting vectors are now shown, and there aren't any from the firing ships to the intended target.

Now try one of two things:

1) Order an automatic attack by the shooter onto the target. The target will be added to the target list, getting a green or yellow dotted line, depending on WRA settings. After a few seconds the missiles will be retargeted onto the target, granted it is within +/- 20 degrees of the missile.

2) Delete the Kirovs. The missiles immediately sense they are cut off, and go autonomous. They aquire the targets with their onboard seekers, and hit them.

I've made some very minor tweaks in v1.11 so things work slightly better in this particular edge-case, e.g. the missiles will not give up the retargeting cyclus after 4 failed attempts etc.

Thanks again guys for looking into stuff and asking questions [8D]

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
User2

Post by User2 »

ORIGINAL: emsoy

Rather, it is a by-design edge-case for re-targeting of datalinked weapons. Since the shooting unit is in active control of the weapon, it will only attempt to re-direct them onto targets that are in the ship's target list. This is to avoid wasting ammo on stuff that is of no interest to the shooter. I.e. only mission relevant or manually targeted contacts.
I think that behavior of BOL mode weapons should be reflected in the game manual. Imho it is very important issue. Now I understand why my BOL-launched torpedos have ignored enemy ship. I have manually enabled torpedo's active sonar through data-link without any result.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Agreed. We'll get to it one day.

Mike
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

How can you add a platform to the ship's target list without it trying to attack with other weapons if you select the automatic attack option? Say you had some of the SSN missiles still in reserve that were in range of the target.

I thought I might be able to re-vector the missiles to the target as there was a data-link by selecting the missiles and pressing F1 and the target. The green target line seemed to show up to the target from the missile but the missiles didn't follow it, so I assume this is because the data-link exists and the target is NOT in the controlling ship's list.
Michael

Return to “Tech Support”