Whats next for the series?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Erik Rutins

RE: Whats next for the series?

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi folks,

We are indeed working on the next game in the series, but I can't share any details yet. I can say that it is a very major project for us all that has been getting a lot of effort and attention both from us and Elliot. We expect this to move DW forward in every respect, but even the internal test team haven't seen any details yet, so it will be a while before we can share anything publicly.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Woo! [8D]
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

Much looked forward too news! Brings joy to finally hear it.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

Soooooo.. ETA for first looksies? [:'(]
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
bandusdr

Post by bandusdr »

Logged in to say I am super excited to hear this news and eagerly await any info on Distant Worlds 2. I played Distant Worlds and all its expansions for hours and hours and think it was well worth every penny paid for it!
LandShepherd

Post by LandShepherd »

Good news.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

Soooooo.. ETA for first looksies? [:'(]
My guess is that it isn't going to be out for another 18 months. Average game dev time is about 2 years. Shave off for what they've already done (assume because Elliot seems to be posting very few bug fixes of late - he must be doing something) - so maybe 15 months before we hear anything solid from Matrix.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Animorganimate

Post by Animorganimate »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi folks,

We are indeed working on the next game in the series, but I can't share any details yet. I can say that it is a very major project for us all that has been getting a lot of effort and attention both from us and Elliot. We expect this to move DW forward in every respect, but even the internal test team haven't seen any details yet, so it will be a while before we can share anything publicly.

Regards,

- Erik

Holy awesomeness! I knew you guys were working on something, but to have confirmation that it is part of the Distant Worlds series just made me more excited for a game than I have been in a long time. I'll admit Paradox's Stellaris also has me excited, but with Distant Worlds having become my all-time favorite game over the last several years, a new game (or even the same game in a new engine with some tweaks here and there) is what I've been waiting for. Thanks for the update!
...methodical, exacting, and worst of all, patient.
balto

Post by balto »

I have not played since the Pirate update which I did not like at all, but I still think DW is one of the top 20 games of all time. With that said, consider waiting until Stellaris comes out before working on the new DW series. Paradox knows WTF they are doing whether you like them or not , so let them spend the R&D and put Stellaris out (which I am definitely buying). Then have Eliot scope it out and borrow/steal some ideas and combine them with his own DW ideas and BOOM, you get a winner.

echo2361

Post by echo2361 »

Great news to hear! As others have mentioned, Stellaris is looking like it might provide some competition for you guys, but I have every confidence you'll rise to the task :)
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Multiplayer (up to 15-20 players) for full diplomatic games. Would be fab !
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
AKicebear

Post by AKicebear »

ORIGINAL: balto

I have not played since the Pirate update which I did not like at all, but I still think DW is one of the top 20 games of all time. With that said, consider waiting until Stellaris comes out before working on the new DW series. Paradox knows WTF they are doing whether you like them or not , so let them spend the R&D and put Stellaris out (which I am definitely buying). Then have Eliot scope it out and borrow/steal some ideas and combine them with his own DW ideas and BOOM, you get a winner.

Please, no. I know many enjoy EU4 and CK2, but I find those games incredibly boring to play. I'd love if Paradox (or anyone else) makes a decent run at the current king in this area, DW, but am highly skeptical that Paradox will pull it off if they rely heavily on the same type of gameplay as in the past. Grand strategy is just incredibly boring to play compared to a good 4X, at least in my experience with the above 3 games.

Also - very excited to hear about DW2! Look forward to more info.
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

If I know Paradox then they're going to make a star ruler/endless space style game. If I am right and this is the case then I see no way Distant Worlds would loose. It's not even the same league.

ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Stellaris is the most exciting space 4x I have read about since the early Moo3 drafts back on the Delphi forums, but they are not going to clash.DW2 is looking more like 2017 at this point.I will buy both.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Agreed, sign me up for both.
danieloslo

Post by danieloslo »

Hi guys! Hi team!
Still no news about DW2?
Please give us something until 2017/2018 ;)
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

Personally, I would like to play in a galaxy as big as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udAL48P5NJU
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Ingtar

Post by Ingtar »

Any newer news?
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

Hopefully not multiplayer. Stellaris has been ruined with its focus on multiplayer balance.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Hopefully multiplayer.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”