Still Like My 2.11 Dinosaur, But Have ?s

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

edsan

Still Like My 2.11 Dinosaur, But Have ?s

Post by edsan »

I haven't been on the site in a long long time, but decided to ask for your advice to enhance my fun.

I regularly play the random games in the 2.11 version. I know, I know...... I just like the simplicity of no cards or leaders to worry about. I have learned to enjoy using resources.

The question is how to get the AI to attack more. Once in a great while (rare) I'll encounter an aggressive AI that comes after me. But,
most of the time it attacks primarily with just artillery and air...only minor ground attacks or sneaking through gaps in my line. I end up finding its major cities, though,
have HUGE amounts of infantry and other equipment. These many thousands and thousands of infantry etc just sit there and don't attack. I have
to reduce them with artillery and air power, then attack from all sides.

IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE THE AI COME AFTER ME MORE?

1) I play on xlarge map with 8 players and the AIs set as "+". I also tweak the rulevars to make the AI not have cheats (from the rules I can figure out) and have the "warlike"
set to 85. What else can I do to get the AI out of it's defensive behavior?

2) Even though the air war is turned on for the AI, in some games there is little AI air activity.

3) The AI almost never initiates a naval game. I can't remember the last time I encountered an AI vessel or it made a naval landing with troops.

4) I see there is a version 2.15 that made AI improvements.
a) Would that accomplish what I'm looking for?
b) Is it possible to select if the "leaders" and other cards/events are "on" or "off" with that version?
c) Or, is the AI even better and better in later versions....and I would still have the capability to turn off leaders/events etc..?

All ideas welcome! ...and, sorry to drag you guys so far back in time.

Vic

RE: Still Like My 2.11 Dinosaur, But Have ?s

Post by Vic »

Upgrading to the latest version is always a good idea.

Remember that all those new gadgets like leaders will only be there if you chose the 'new dawn' random games from the main menu. You can still select the basic random games as they used to be in the latest build.

The AI should perform a bit better also.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
edsan

Post by edsan »

Thanks Vic.

I upgraded to 2.11g. I left the AIs as "AI" (no +) and didn't change any rulevars to see how an unmodified game
would go (I did non-New Dawn for the best comparison to 2.11).

Well, so far I have my hands full after two small games. The AI is definitely more aggressive than 2.11 (in my mind
anyway). After playing AT/ATG for years I thought I had a pretty could handle on playing against 7 AIs (always winning).
Not anymore.

So, I'll continue to experiment with it and will end up trying New Dawn.

Thanks again.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I've noticed lately that it seems the AI is engaging in fewer senseles attacks against well defended positions that end up in a slaughter. Before I could count on the AI continutally banging it's head against my well entrenched troops, wearing itself out, but it doesn't seem to be engaging in such wasteful tactics now. Either that or maybe something else has changed in my game play. Darn... [:D]
edsan

Post by edsan »

I've been playing the 2.11g version regularly now for a month.

Although I think this version's AI is better than 2.11 which I played for years, IT STILL ISN'T AGGRESSIVE WITH ITS GROUND GAME. It'll do air strikes and artillery with no problem and will infiltrate my lines with land units, but it doesn't attack very much.

How do adjust the ExecAIConservative to try increasing offensiveness? I've searched the edit feature when starting new games, but can't find it.

This is what I'd like to try:

The ExecAIConservative (regime, %) lets you set the modifier for how good the AI thinks its chances for offensive are. If you set it higher then 100% the AI will become more defensive. If you set it very high it will if possible retreat immediately into the hinterland. Keep in mind you should switch off rulevar 248 when you use this Exec.

Thanks!
edsan

Post by edsan »

Vic, please point to where I can modify the "ExecAIConservative" setting I mentioned above. Thanks again for a great game!
edsan

Post by edsan »

Vic, please point me to the right place....I've searched the editing functions and can't find it.

I've been playing the 2.11k version regularly now (7 AIs with 5 being AI+).

I find that IT STILL ISN'T AGGRESSIVE WITH ITS GROUND GAME. It'll do air strikes and artillery with no problem and will infiltrate my lines with land units, but it doesn't attack hardly at all (unless in a surrounded city). The AI has HUGE units that just sit there and wait for my dive bombers to destroy them.

I understand the ExecAIConservative might increase offensiveness? I've searched the edit feature when starting new games, but can't find it.

This is what I'd like to try:

The ExecAIConservative (regime, %) lets you set the modifier for how good the AI thinks its chances for offensive are. If you set it higher then 100% the AI will become more defensive. If you set it very high it will if possible retreat immediately into the hinterland. Keep in mind you should switch off rulevar 248 when you use this Exec.

Do you have other suggestions to increase the AIs' land attacks???

Thanks!
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

You need to make some event code to utilize that function. ...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
edsan

Post by edsan »

Thanks! After studying the tutorials, I'm ready to pass out. Apparently I don't know much at all about modifying the game even though I've played with the rulevars for years.

I just don't know where to even start (the specific steps) to setup an "event code" for increasing the AI's aggressiveness ( ExecAIConservative (regime, %)) that would be in play for all regimes for the whole game/every turn.

If this is too basic to spend a few minutes detailing, I understand. Patience isn't my strong suit either. Many thanks for your patience.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Well...

You need to enter in the lines of code that do this. Its pretty straightforward.

Something like:

TempVar 0 == Check Turn
CheckIfAI (TempVar 0)
ExecAIConservative (TempVar 0, "set your value here")
End Check

Make sure it is set to be a EarlyTurn Check (when it executes)

That should do it. Experiment with what you set your value too.. :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
edsan

Post by edsan »

Thank you Ernie for your tremendous help.....and making me sweat a lot! I've never done any coding, so what's very easy for all the readers here is VERY stressing to me (now I know how little I know).

But, following your guidance, I came up with the following. This example is for a 3 player turn with regime #0 and #2 being AIs with their aggressiveness increased from the normal of 100 to 80. I'm using the Alt Gfx Random game for 2.21k, then going into the editor to the event button. (Is there a way to save this event to quickly copy/paste it into each future game?)

Please let me know if this is the correct way to do this. In particular I struggled with the "Check," "Execute," and "Empty" items below since they didn't show in your suggestion (I did use Early Start Turn). Usually I like to go with 8 players (7 being AIs). Would these 5 lines for each regime have to be repeated/typed in for all 7 AIs, OR, is there a simpler 'looping' to change all their ExecAIConservative numbers to the same value in an easy way?

0) Check: TempVar0 = = Check Turn
1) Check: CheckIfAI (0) Empty Empty
2) Execute: ExecAIConservative (0, 80)
3) End Check
4) End Check
5) Check: TempVar2 = = Check Turn
6) Check: CheckIfAI (2) Empty Empty
7) Execute: ExecAIConservative (2, 80)
8) End Check
9) End Check

Again, many thanks for helping. I've wanted to pump up the AIs attacks for many years. In the game I just finished, an AI had multiple units of "999" armor strength in one hex and still wouldn't attack me. The dive bombers had to eventually destroy all that armor (it had no infantry with most of that armor).

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Hi Edsan,

Well you are getting closer.. for sure...

Ok, here are the lines in this explained...

0) SetVar : Tempvar0 == CheckTurn

This makes it possible to determine which regime it is turn. So Tempvar0 is now the regime number.

This is how line 1) should be.

1) Check: CheckIfAI(TempVar 0) = 1

This line basically says, Check if TempVar 0 is an AI.

2) Execute: ExecAIConservative (Tempvar 0, 80)

... and if it is run this exec .. set the AIConservative of regime in tempvar 0 to 80.

3) End Check

... says to the game that we are done asking the IF sentence and doing something with it.

And that should do it for ALL AIs in the game.

If this doesn't work, i may on accident or on purpose ;) made an error for you to find ;)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Why does it require learning a new language? Why so difficult?

I thought TOAW was difficult when making events, but ATG makes TOAW look easy.

I give up all hope of ever creating a ATG scenario.

Good thing that playing the basic game is a source of enjoyment.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

You can make alot of things without ever learning the "language"... The coding is really only if you want to do special stuff.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
edsan

Post by edsan »

Ok, Ernie. You might be having way too much fun with this. [;)]

Here's what I now have (Early Start Turn selected). It matches what you said. Your explanation of each line's purpose was particularly helpful and was logical to me!

I can't find that there's any errors in what you provided (based on my many minutes of coding experience). I think I now have 1% coding comfort level!!

0) SetVar : Tempvar0 = = Check Turn
1) Check: CheckIfAI (TempVar 0) = = 1
2) Execute: ExecAIConservative (TempVar0, 80)
3) End Check

*** Please verify again that these are the ONLY 4 total event line items I would need in a new game to modify this event for ALL 7 of the AIs that I use.

I thought TempVar0 meant regime #0. So, I believed I would need to have these 4 lines for EACH of the regimes.....total of 28 lines where the difference is going from TempVar0 to TempVar1 to TempVar2 etc..

*** IF there is a known error (slipped in there :-), please let me know and what would be correct. I REALLY want to try this out on a big game ASAP!

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Well...

I was unsure if the check of the AI was supposed to be equal to 1 or 0...

That's about it...

This should work even if you have 13 AI opponents, which I believe is the max, in the random games, anyway....

Have fun.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
edsan

Post by edsan »

Many thanks to you Ernie! You helped an ignorant coder when everyone else skipped over this thread. You took the time to make a difference for another member.

If you think of any other ways to make the AI more "real" (aggressiveness only being one possibility), please let me know. .....even though the ratio of armor to infantry is now set to 33%, I still don't understand how there can be huge (huge) armor only formations.

Thanks again.....and......be careful.....I might have other questions sometime.

Now I'm starting to make a new x-Large, 8 player random game with this new event.

Edsan

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”