Changing the Infantry Multiplier German Recovery after 1941 Blizzard

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
matt.buttsworth

Post by matt.buttsworth »

I find Wir 3.1 and possibly wir 3.3 (I have not tried it) are about as good as I want to get and the best possible Wir game especially if used in conjunction with Possum 5 or 6 to get the stronger Soviet forces to survive 1941 and attack with strong armoured infantry forces in a realistic way that simulates the Russian massed attacks and German continual defense. Possum 5 which I am just trying is splendid (thanks a lot Possum) and for me is the best Wir, Possum yet. I recommend everyone try it.
My only problem is, and I have noticed this on many versions of Wir since the beginning (I even played Second Front on the Amiga), that if you are a good Russian player and attack continually to maximise German infantry losses during and after the 1941 Blizzards, you can so weaken the German player that the Russian player can begin a continual steamroller offensive that inevitably ends up at Berlin in March/April 1943.
I believe this is exactly what should happen but it happens to early. It should begin to happen during the 1942/43 winter and not the 1941/42 winter with the Germans being strong enough have a hope of surviving until 1945.
Is this problem common with other players? If so, is there a way to increase the German infantry multiplier in 1942 to allow them to recover from the terrible 1941/1942 winter and survive longer into the game. I believe with a few adjustments of the multiplier for 1942 and 1943 a much more balanced game could be produced?
Possum are you interested in doing this or have you produced enough versions? Or could someone tell me how to change the multiplier (please say it very exactly, and very simply as I have never tried something like that myself) so that I can produce my own more powerful German in 1942/1943 version of the game.
It is great what everyone has tried to do. Matt
Lorenzo from Spain

Post by Lorenzo from Spain »

I think that the Germans must elect: to entrench and resist in place, with the help of Lutwaffe, or to retreat to previous prepared positions (beginning the retreat at the end of October, by rail if possible).
The two options are good, and allow the Germans to resist the 41 winter. It depends of the force of Soviets: if they have lost a lot of armies and Moscow and/or Leningrad, then is better to resist in place. If the Russians have reserved some strong tank divisions and their factories are in full production, or Lutwaffe is weak, then is better some retreat. Sometimes can be a mix option: to retreat in some places, and to resist in others.
But the bad option is to advance until the end of November and try to resist. Then the German korps will be in low readiness and entrenchment, and will be a disaster.
matt.buttsworth

Post by matt.buttsworth »

interesting. I probably advance too long in a last, desperate grasp at victory. M
Lorenzo from Spain

Post by Lorenzo from Spain »

May be. Now I´m playing as German, we´re in February and my forces resist quite well the Russian attack, without retreats. Only two shatters and two retreats by now.
MikeB

Balancing

Post by MikeB »

If increasing German defensive ability in 42....then strengthening Russian defence in 41 is likely fair.

My latest WIR 3.2 game allowed Russians to double save from Aug 10, 41 through Sept 30 41. This gave double production, double entrenchment and double supplies to Russians when they needed it most.

I will eventually play campaign 41 WIR 3.3 but the news seems to be somewhat haphazard with regards to German survival with high entrenchment and high Ops pts supplies. I am uncertain if one can limit readiness . It seems to be automatic if in range 5 of an HQ. Limitation is the HQ supply points and supply pt basis of the hex occupied by the unit in question.

To my mind, the whole WIR shatter rule should be destroyed...or perhaps one should be able to control the 'readiness' objective target of each and all units.

Make it happen via increasing Russian attack strength during that time(blizzard Dec 41 - Mar 42) by say 25-50% over what is actually there.(25% - 50% allows for some degree of uncertainty by Russian attacker). but DOCUMENT and REPORT it!!!

such are my thoughts.
Mike B of Ottawa Canada.

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”