Some questions around SUs and HQs

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

RealChuckB

Some questions around SUs and HQs

Post by RealChuckB »

Hi,

I'm still working my way into WitE and, while playing the "Road to Minsk" scenario as the Germans again and again, came up with the following questions. I really appreciate any response/explanation/help! I (still) generally try to follow Erik Rutin’s approach from the Twitch stream back in July, which really helped me to get better into the game.

1. Support units and hasty attacks
My understanding is that HQs only contribute SUs to deliberate attacks, is correct? If so, wouldn't that mean that (during most of the attacks of the first turn, which will be hasty attacks) I should try to assign SUs directly to the combat units to make them count in these hasty attacks (also because HQs will likely be outside of required 5 hex distance anyway)?

2. Support units from HQs two levels up
Looking at the fighting unis of the VI Corps up in the north (25th and 6th ID), it seems that it's direct HQ has some SUs I can attach but there are also Flammpanzers I can assign that are with the 3rd Panzer Group HQ - is there any difference between these assignments, does it in some way "cost" more to assign from higher level HQs?

3. Specific SUs assigned to high-level HQs
I looked through the different SUs assigned to all different HQs in the beginning of the scenario and saw the 2/233rd Siege Mortar Battery (Karl 600mm Siege Mortar) assigned to the 4th Army HQ (Location 44,66). This looks like a unit that can really be helpful for attacking Brest Litovsk, the hardest fight for the German’s first turn. How best to ensure that this SU is used in this role? I would probably use XII Corps (which is assigned to 2nd PG) to storm Brest Litovsk, so I cannot simply assign the Siege Mortar to one of the divisions of XII Corps, but I could change the HQ of the 2/233rd to the 2nd PG and then move this HQ forward (which should be at least close enough to make it eligible for participation) - any idea?

4. Support of panzer spearheads during fast pincer attacks by HQs
Assuming my understanding regarding (limited) HQ support during the first pincer attack turns of the Germans is correct, is there any reason to have the HQs follow the combat units constantly during each turn or is it enough that the HQs end up close enough to the combat units at the end of the turn to provide supply for the next turn?

Thanks a lot for reading this and I appreciate any feedback!

Chuck
swkuh

RE: Some questions around SUs and HQs

Post by swkuh »

Good questions, novice & expert alike. I'll give a try for answers:

1. Believe HQs contribute SU support in both attack modes, as long as they are within 5 hexes. (All contributions are determined by chance, though.)
2. Think the magic 5 hexes apply, as well as chain of command.
3. 600mm siege mortar is not (ever) the critical factor.
4. When HQ is moved its support contributions are removed until next turn. If you move them up after your attack then maybe they won't contribute in the defense.

If any can help w/better elucidations, I'd appreciate that.

Bottom line for me is basic SU assignments are essential, but I don't overwork the feature.
morvael

RE: Some questions around SUs and HQs

Post by morvael »

1) I think that a HQ unit may send SUs to support hasty attacks too, but only if that HQ unit hasn't moved yet.
2) SUs can be assigned from all HQs in the chain of command, and a single assignment operation should cost 1 AP for these small units, whatever the distance (HQ-wise) between their current and intended parent.
3) Yes, assign it to corps that will commit the majority of forces to the attack, keep it close to battle and use deliberate attacks.
4) Unless those units are assigned to army-level HQ (or higher) you can move the HQs after your units are in their final positions. Since there is penalty when being attached to higher level HQ and far away from it, in such case you must keep the HQ close to the unit in question to get the most out of it in combat.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”