If you grew up in the 1950's through the 1980's this is a tribute to you making it to adulthood.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

radic202

If you grew up in the 1950's through the 1980's this is a tribute to you making it to adulthood.

Post by radic202 »

I can't believe we made it.

https://vimeo.com/52231459
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
wings7

RE: If you grew up in the 1950's through the 1980's this is a tribute to you making it to adulthood.

Post by wings7 »

Yes indeed! We made it! Modern electronics has made us fat, lazy and crazy. We need to go back to the 50's values and start living again. Keep praying for some more divine intervention!

Patrick

PS. I liked the Fallout logo at the end! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
vonRocko

RE: If you grew up in the 1950's through the 1980's this is a tribute to you making it to adulthood.

Post by vonRocko »

good video and so true. Thanks for sharing.
operating

Post by operating »

Those were the days.....
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Thanks for sharing radic202.

I agree mostly with the central themes of this video, but there are one or two things that are out of place here and also one question that intrigues me.

I totally agree with the point about playing healthily outside and the lack of X-boxes, computer, iphones etc etc and the related point about human interaction.

I also identify with the idea that in times past, not every child could be a winner, there was competition – as per real life – and this had to be got used to.

But, why does the video feature lead paint and child-proof pill bottles – like the banning of the former and the introduction of the latter are bad things?

The question though that follows from this – at least for me – is the big contradiction. We all remember playing outside with our friends all day and not having a care – I certainly do. BUT, the parents and grandparents that had the advantage of those carefree days are the ones that have stopped their children from doing the same. I know, I am one of them. I had a paper round at 13, I played on the housing estate all day in the summer holidays and played on the waste ground behind it too – and this was long before I reached my teenage years. Hell I even got on a train with two friends and went to Margate for a day out at 12 – hardly the nicest place in the world.

The video states, this generation produced some of the greatest risk takers etc etc. BUT I was one of them and I wouldn’t dream of letting my little warspites do any of that!! Why? There is no regulation stopping me, no one saying I can’t; there is only me – and Mrs W. Do we care more than out parents did? Certainly not. Are we just more aware of the dangers? Maybe? Maybe I realise now that playing on waste land was actually really quite dangerous for a whole variety of reasons. I don’t know, there must be some reason….. but maybe the blame does not always lie ‘elsewhere’.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

Perhaps the the point being made was that despite the existence of lead based paint everywhere and the lack of child proof containers we managed to survive.

There are lots of things I did as a child, like playing on construction sites, that I would not have dreamed of letting my kids do. I am not sure my parents were any less concerned about me, but I think our awareness of risk has been heightened.

Like the video said, we left at dawn and came home when the street lights went on. I did not let my kids do that. The world changed, or at least it seemed to. Too many unsavory types wandering around these days. It seems today's criminal element is a lot more brazen than back in the good old days. Then again, we all have a tendency to remember the past differently that it actually was.

TomC
Zap

Post by Zap »

But, why does the video feature lead paint and child-proof pill bottles – like the banning of the former and the introduction of the latter are bad things?

That's easy, its referring to the phenomenon of the exaggerated discovery of something wrong with everything we use and eat. Its simply saying we survived these things. I lived in a house with lead paint throughout. I survived [:)]. But I didn't eat paint chips as a child either. That was what made lead paint bad.
The reality is that lead in all the products made it a better product in most cases.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Zap

That's easy, its referring to the phenomenon of the exaggerated discovery of something wrong with everything we use and eat. Its simply saying we survived these things. I lived in a house with lead paint throughout. I survived [:)]. But I didn't eat paint chips as a child either. That was what made lead paint bad.
The reality is that lead in all the products made it a better product in most cases.
warspite1

Sure, but I just think its out of place here - diluting the more pertinent points they are trying to get across - like the lack of social interaction and the fact that every one is a winner just for showing up.

Imagine that video made in the early 20th Century. Hey, we used to work as 5-years olds cleaning cotton making machines - as they were moving. But congratulations - we survived, while this rubbish generation don't allow that anymore [:(]

wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I agree mostly with the central themes of this video, but there are one or two things that are out of place here and also one question that intrigues me.

I totally agree with the point about playing healthily outside and the lack of X-boxes, computer, iphones etc etc and the related point about human interaction.

I also identify with the idea that in times past, not every child could be a winner, there was competition – as per real life – and this had to be got used to.

The question though that follows from this – at least for me – is the big contradiction. We all remember playing outside with our friends all day and not having a care – I certainly do. BUT, the parents and grandparents that had the advantage of those carefree days are the ones that have stopped their children from doing the same. I know, I am one of them. I had a paper round at 13, I played on the housing estate all day in the summer holidays and played on the waste ground behind it too – and this was long before I reached my teenage years. Hell I even got on a train with two friends and went to Margate for a day out at 12 – hardly the nicest place in the world.

The video states, this generation produced some of the greatest risk takers etc etc. BUT I was one of them and I wouldn’t dream of letting my little warspites do any of that!! Why? There is no regulation stopping me, no one saying I can’t; there is only me – and Mrs W. Do we care more than out parents did? Certainly not. Are we just more aware of the dangers? Maybe? Maybe I realise now that playing on waste land was actually really quite dangerous for a whole variety of reasons. I don’t know, there must be some reason….. but maybe the blame does not always lie ‘elsewhere’.

Robert, I think the reason you don't let your kids do what you did growing up is because in the last 20 years or so there have been alot of studies of things (lead, waste land, etc.) and those studies have stated all the possible and probable harm that could happen and we can read about these studies quite easily (check the home page of MSN for some of these studies over the course of time), in sight and in your mind! 30 to 50 years ago they didn't do that many studies (and if they did they were not easy to find out about), out of sight out of mind! So, in some ways ignorance is bliss...
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wings7

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Robert, I think the reason you don't let your kids do what you did growing up is because in the last 20 years or so there have been alot of studies of things (lead, waste land, etc.) and those studies have stated all the possible and probable harm that could happen and we can read about these studies quite easily (check the home page of MSN for some of these studies over the course of time), in sight and in your mind! 30 to 50 years ago they didn't do that many studies (and if they did they were not easy to find out about), out of sight out of mind! So, in some ways ignorance is bliss...
warspite1

I am not sure this is true Patrick (I don't mean discovery of problems with lead) but, for example, with the dangers of children - because that is what we were - playing out of sight and without any sort of adult supervision in some pretty 'dodgy' places.

Did our parents really not know that paedophiles existed, or that waste ground (natural and man made hazards) or housing estates (cars) were dangerous places?

Only this week on the BBC there is the case of a 14-year old girl stabbed to death 50-years ago. Bad people existed then - and people knew.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34314171

What is doubly strange is that my dad was of nervous disposition and was - if anything - over protective. He would not let us have bikes (he had an uncle crushed under the wheels of a lorry in his younger days) and yet thought nothing of us leaving the house after breakfast, not having a clue where we were, and not being seen again until teatime.

I hate it when my little cruisers head into town to watch a film at the cinema. I know where they are, I know who they are with and I know roughly what time they will be back, but I still worry. So why can't I act like my parents did?

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

People are more dangerous these days, it's not just a perception problem due to FaceBook and the Internet spreading tales.

When I was in junior High and High School, for example, there were always fights starting in the alley across the street from the school. I never, ever, saw anyone get seriously hurt. The guys pounded on each other for a few minutes, the girls scratched each other and pulled hair... but nobody pulled out a knife or gun and killed someone. There were no police hunts for missing children in my home town. No police shootings... ever. If you got stopped for speeding, you could actually get out of your car to talk to the officer face to face. No "get back in the car and keep your hands visible, please!"

OK, I'll get someone mad now...

Guns weren't being carried around like toys, they were for hunting and target shooting, not for personal protection from all manner of paranoid fears. Police didn't have to act like every traffic stop might turn into a gunfight. Schools didn't have to have metal detectors to stop students from bringing in knives and guns.

Drugs weren't a big problem... mostly some "pot smoking"... the "War on Drugs" hadn't turned drug smuggling into a highly profitable business like Prohibition created the Mafia gang lords running booze in across the border and running "speak easy" joints to serve the illicit alcohol. Perhaps if we had relied on education and rehabilitation to discourage drug use instead of locking people up and creating artificial scarcity that made drugs so profitable. Remember there was a huge cocaine problem in this country in the latter part of the 19th century... it was in everything... soft drinks, patent medicines, etc until people realized the harm and started educating everyone about the harmful effects and giving treatment for the addicted. The problem subsided. Even in the "hippie" days of LSD, people would get wise to harmful stuff and got the word out not to use certain substances. If everything wasn't criminalized, I suspect that drug abuse would be on a par with alcoholism... not a good thing to have around but people have been trying to get "high" on stuff since the first caveman learned how to ferment something into a drink and get drunk.

Anyway, I didn't intend to get that deep into things, but I do maintain that the world I grew up in was a lot safer than the world is today and public policies have had the unintended side effects of creating the problems they are actually trying to solve.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1. So why can't I act like my parents did?

I think we all watch too much news (news is everywhere these days), most news is "bad news". Personally I limit the news I watch, and I pray more also.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

People are more dangerous these days, it's not just a perception problem due to FaceBook and the Internet spreading tales.

The population on our planet has exploded (compare it to 1950 or 1960). That explains alot of things...
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I always wondered about the 'eating lead paint chips' statement. Were there studies about paint being in children's stomachs? If it was such a common phenomena shouldn't they have proposed putting fluoride in paint?
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

Also remember that a lot of things went unreported back in those days too. Rape, wife beating and child molestation being three of the biggest cover ups due to public shame, etc.. What surprised me the most after reaching adulthood is when I learned about the shear number of women I knew personally that were abused as girls. It is shocking frankly and that is why I never left my daughter alone or unprotected. In fact, most women I know have suffered in some regard when they were girls. This probably applies to the women in your life too, if you can get the ladies in your life to open up about it. Its a tough subject obviously. The world has always had an ugly side regardless of time period.

I agree with Rhonda in some way though, not sure if people are more dangerous now or there are just more of them as a percentage of the population. Either way, callous disregard for other people's lives and the level of disrespect shown everywhere has grown at an alarming rate.

No problem Chief!
Zap

Post by Zap »

OP was pointing out the alarming trend to demonize dangerous minerals, chemicals and the industry who develop them.. All of which have made our lives easier and better. To eliminate them from industrial access would make life so much worse for humans rich and poor alike.
Many different groups and individuals have problems with this that and the other. But at the same time they benefit from all the advancements made through the use of the same chemicals/minerals they demonize.
We were unaware of the harm different chemicals/minerals presented. However, as time went on regulations for safety have been added.
The fact is we still need Lead, Acids, oil, chlorine, and so many different dangerous things that help us to produce other necessary things.

where I find fault is with those who want to eliminate totally so many necessary products.

Return to “General Discussion”