"Free from all forms of micromanagement" ?

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

sandman2575

"Free from all forms of micromanagement" ?

Post by sandman2575 »

From the Features page:

"A deep, immersive, game experience free of all forms of micromanagement. Having to forgo shuffling endless counters, twiddling dials and settings is hard."

This description seems to imply that unit movement will (at least in part) be automated. Is that correct?

I think some automation -- as opposed to having to manually move every counter on the map -- would be a very welcome improvement, and a *big* advance over the previous Decisive Campaigns titles (excellent though they are).

Seems like this is a feature that deserves to be 'advertised' a lot more than it is. Currently, it's buried at the bottom of the Features list.

Conversely, if there is *no* unit automation, the description above needs to be changed so as not to be completely misleading.

EDIT -- Well, I came to a more likely realization -- VR's not claiming there's unit automation, just claiming there aren't "endless" amounts of counters to shuffle.

Still strikes me as a bit misleading to claim the game is "free from all forms of micromanagement". Even at divisional scale, there are going to be *a lot* of counters on the board, no? Case Blue certainly had a good number of counters!
lancer

RE: "Free from all forms of micromanagement" ?

Post by lancer »

Hi Sandman,

The micromanagement referred to is with regards to game mechanics. No fiddly bits. There are still counters to move although the number of them has been kept to a minimum.

Good point, though. We'll tweak the wording.

Cheers,
Cameron
sandman2575

Post by sandman2575 »

Thanks, Cameron. I have been known to 'read too much into things' on occasion [:)] Chalk it up to excitement over this upcoming game, which is unquestionably a 'day one purchase' for me.
Chris Hampton

Post by Chris Hampton »

I like this, the number of counters in Case Blue could be a bit overwhelming..
People who turn their swords into plowshares generally end up plowing for the people who kept their swords...
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I like this type of system. Often, I just like to control certain units and allow the AI to control other units, just like in real life. I just make believe the AI is like a human who makes independent decisions that I won't agree with.

Will you be able to give overall general orders to Army Groups?

Looks like a game that will be in my library.

By the way, what is the comparison between this and War in the East?

Thanks

Demj
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Agree re Case Blue, too many counters. Only play the smaller scenarios.
A Sharif
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I always played the SSG games where general orders were given and hopefully a direction was given. Closely, the original War in Russia, allowed you to give orders to HQ units

I think this game will look good. I have WIR but rarely play it. Lot of things in the engine I rather not bother with

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”