IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June, 2015

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Omnius

One of These Days

Post by Omnius »

Looks like slow but steady progress. Hopefully we'll get to enjoy this next year. My biggest wish is for the Convoy in Flames to be implemented so we have separate oilers as well as cargo ships. I think the oilers will help alleviate a lot of the problems of trying to do lend lease of oil and having that mess up our cargo ship lines running resources. Then only lend lease of Build Points would interfere with our resource shipping by cargo ship and wouldn't impact oil shipping at all.

Leave the AI until the very last, I just don't see an Ai being capable of play WiF with any modicum of decency beyond a turn or two of scripting.

Omnius
Jagdtiger14

RE: One of These Days

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

I don't think we ever played with oil tankers...but there is another feature in that module: Raiders...very fun to play!...and I think there are other types of German subs...I cant remember everything included in that one.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
BradK82

RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of June, 2015

Post by BradK82 »

I am in the complete scenarios and optional rules before AI group. Signed a current owner of the game.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Some RAW8 things came out.

These of simplemost change (example - values in a table that is made already) could be hopefully implemented, being beneficial for game balance maybe. (For instance, Strategic Bombing table is slightly changed for the 1 and 2-3 columns).
BoerWar

Post by BoerWar »

Bought this back in Dec 2014. Can't believe not only is AI not done, the idiotic debate is still ongoing. I have not bought or played a Matrix title since. Wasted too much time trying to help Empires in Arms limp along. It is a recurring theme.

Matrix, get your act together. Your customers shouldn't have to fight with each other, like characters from Lord of the Flies, to get basic capabilities launched that should have been in the game when it was sold.

Steam has lots of games that actually work.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

BoerWar,

Have you updated and played the game lately? I completely agree that it should not have taken this long to get the issues fixed, but the complexity of the game also meant that in addition to the "known" issues we had even more previously "unknown" issues added on after the release. The sheer number of possible play combinations brought on by fully supporting WIF continues to put this in its own unique class as far as the difficulty of testing for all possible issues. As the first post notes, we have made major progress since release and a new official update is in the production queue right now, with the "all clear" update for NetPlay finally in sight (with any luck). Since that first post, the majority of the issues we knew about then have been addressed (and others added, but the list is shrinking overall).

I guess no one else was crazy enough to try adapting these complex ADG games to the computer, perhaps for good reason, but we have stuck with it despite the issues and plan to continue until they are addressed. The AI was always a goal to for after we got through reported bugs and the NetPlay issues, which have clearly taken longer than expected, but we have to do it in that order and deal with the situation as it is.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

I guess no one else was crazy enough to try adapting these complex ADG games to the computer, perhaps for good reason, but we have stuck with it despite the issues and plan to continue until they are addressed.

Probably for very good reason, but thank you for both taking it on and sticking with it!
hazmaxed

Post by hazmaxed »

ORIGINAL: tom730
Meanwhile I will still be playing Global War solitaire and having a great time!

As someone who enjoyed playing WiF (and other board wargames) solitaire, but can no longer do so (space limitations and cats), I'm ecstatic that MWiF came along.
There is no overkill. There is only "open fire" and "reloading."
gravyhair

Post by gravyhair »

I guess no one else was crazy enough to try adapting these complex ADG games to the computer, perhaps for good reason, but we have stuck with it despite the issues and plan to continue until they are addressed.
[/quote]
Here, here! A toast to Matrix and Steve! Huzzah!

(edited for typos)
Wise Men Still Seek Him
BoerWar

Post by BoerWar »

Hi Erik,

Thank you for the reply. I understand the points you made. I joined Matrix way back in 2004/2005 waiting for EIA and WIF specifically. Bought and enjoyed other games along the way. In 2014, I bought WIF when it first came out to reward your commitment to the games I enjoy even though the AI wasn't in place and the cost was much higher than any other PC game I've ever purchased.

My annoyance is that it is now two years later and we are still no closer to AI. Before I posted yesterday, I read back on some of the forum status streams and the prime excuse in the past was that you only had one programmer who knew WIF and the programming code. You guys argued that it would take a year to get someone up to speed. Well, here we are two years later. Have you added any more programmers? I'm guessing no. If you had, one could be working bugs and the other could be working AI and scenarios. It is never too late to start; hire or assign someone. I and many others paid the extra cost so that Matrix had the resources to do what was needed to get this completed. It appears those resources went elsewhere.

I have not downloaded the latest files because I'm not interested in a solitaire game and I don't have the time to commit to a multi-player. I still eagerly await a finished product and wish you guys all the best. Nevertheless, I think your fan base, and I'm one, deserve better support. Git'r done.

r,
Doug
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

Yep. As a board gamer familiar with War in Flames I was really excited when this title was announced; however, was disappointed to learn there was no AI. Like many, I only have so much gaming time to dedicate to PC gaming, and if I'm being honest, far prefer to play games like this with people who are in the same room as I am.

So I waited for an AI. I had no idea that I'd still be waiting 2+ years on. There is no way that I could personally ever justify the price tag on this game--$100 US--for "solitaire" play or multiplayer that I'd use maybe twice a year. I am still waiting, but unfortunately I think this has gotten to the point that WiF as a PC title cannot recover. Those of us who engage in this niche hobby just assume there is no AI. Sadly that assumption sticks, and people look the other way.

Maybe I will check back in 2017 to see if there is a working AI. I wish you guys all the best.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

It is too bad you are missing out. With Teamviewer and Skype you can play this game just like you all are in the same room together.
Paul
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

+1
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

+2 It is just like the old days playing across a table. San cat, siblings etc. [:D]
RJL5188

Post by RJL5188 »

Fascist Tide and Day of Infamy are still what Im waiting for...and of course the AI...but take your time guys...perfection is a state of mind.
"Remember. This is a military operation. They NEVER go according to plan." ---Gen. Beck to Col. Stauffenberg (VALKYRIE)
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

I too await an AI. I just couldn't push myself to play all sides manually. Just a hard truth.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Capitaine: Then play this as it was meant to be played...against a human opponent.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

I was reluctant to play a Global War solitary, but I must say that it's very enjoyable. You need to be patient... but it's a lot of fun. Still, playing against another player is the way to go.
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

Matrix does a lot of stupid things.

This game should have been developed from the standpoint of making good solo play (with good AI). This at least would have let players play... then, and only then, should multiplayers be developed. Sigh, whatever.

That said, I doubt the AI will ever be any good.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Your profile name. How ironic to your post.

Return to “World in Flames”