Blue Skies and Blood: John 3rd vs 1275psi

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

Blue Skies and Blood: John 3rd vs 1275psi

Post by John 3rd »

Good Day readers.

I have reluctantly agreed to a Scenario 1 STOCK campaign vs. the redoubtable Herbie. He will be running a magnificent AAR that I am sadly excluding myself from. My AAR titles are always taken from books on the Pacific War so I've chosen to go with Hoyt's account of the battle of the Coral Sea. While wanting to do something really creative with an AAR is appealing I do not have the time or commitment for that effort. My AAR with Michael (A Glorious Way to Die) is now well enough along I felt that a slow-paced game might just be doable without an issue.

The concern I have is actually going back to stock Scenario One. I haven't played this scenario is 8-10 years. CRAZY! After all my work with Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms this is like going back to the dim ages.

We shall attempt to remember the original OOB and see what happens.

This was Herbie's first email to me:

John
I think you vs me would be a classic (and HUGELY followed) BUT stock........(I cannot handle mods ects)

It would also be PDU off, but, Japan can move as many units from china ect to Burma it likes with out paying
PPs(otherwise Burma cannot hold into 43)

Are you game?

Yes, but a slightly different type of AAR, more like "letters from a PM"

regards
herbie

I am not sure regarding the PDU off. Herbie said we could go with it on but we're still thinking on it. Opinions?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Lecivius

RE: Blue Skies and Blood: John 3rd vs 1275psi

Post by Lecivius »

PDU off would make this vastly more complicated, to be sure. It does put the brakes on the ability of the Japanese to out-produce and out-tech the allies.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I think PDU off can really benefit the Allies, especially with night bombing.

However, it is fun, and does hamper the Allies a little bit notably with early Lightnings I believe.

More worried about just scenario 1, after all your romping around the Pacific, you might not be ready for the reduced troops, stockpiles, and production.

fcharton

Post by fcharton »

One useful aspect of PDU Off is that, by limiting your options and forcing you along historical paths, it saves some of the supplies you'd have spent converting factories in a PDU on game. As you are playing scenario 1, this should be useful.

The ability to move restricted troops across borders is, in my opinion, a good trade. PDU Off will force you to juggle around squadrons that can upgrade, and spend PP in the process. Being allowed to move troops from Kwantung and China into Burma and Malaysia will free quite a few divisions, save PP, and allow you to make good use of those units that got combat experience in China. Overall, it makes for an interesting middle game by making theatres more interdependent.

Francois
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

No Herbie from this point forward.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

OK. Time to look at this and figure out what is 'possible' and what is not. Like I've said before going back to Scen One--STOCK is like moving back to elementary school (no offense to anyone). I wish we were doing Scen One--BABES. LOVE all the work done by that superlative crew of talented modders. Oh, well...not to be.

Herbie agreed to PDU on and I, in return, said I would not push the whole units can move anywhere HR. Will be careful with that in all cases. Nothing gamey.

The biggest thing I am looking forward to here is having--for Japan--BUCKETS of supply and fuel. We have drawn it so far down in RA and BTS that this will feel like Heaven in some ways.

PLANNING:
1. Hit PH but split off Kaga to join the other CVLs in the DEI. Kaga and Ryujo will strike Manila to cause some damage to shipping there.
2. Normal emphasis in taking Malaya ASAP.
3. Will take Midway early to deny that base to Herbie.
4. Will take NW Australia Coast so they cannot be used as a spring board to hit the oil in the DEI.
5. Plan to take Port Moresby and New Caledonia.

That should be well past enough and, perhaps, too much. We'll have to see...

We know how Herbie acts from his AAR so that is some help as to style.

Comments from the readership?

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I just went through and organized the Home Islands and Korea. Holy COW! I have become soooooooooo used to reduced cargo capacities from the Babes work that I barely recognize these classes of ships. This is like a stroll down amnesia lane.

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

From AFB side, I always stress the need for Japan to neutralize Soerbaja. The port size and small Repair Shipyard are important to Allies for the first two month to replenish everything that floats and make quick minor repairs on DDs and subs. Thus, capture Denpasar with AF 3(4) and base an Air HQ OR land at SE tip of Java with division at Banjoewangi with its potentially large AF 0(7). Mini-KB with Kaga and Ryujo, a BB based SC TF, and your transports as covering forces.

Next would be capture of Koepang and place another Air HQ there. Then, you can back fill at your leisure.
[center]Image[/center]
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I agree with the PDU ON ... I just cannot reconcile myself to flying Nates and Ida in '44. ;)

Happy to see you are PDU ON. Good Luck!
Pax
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Good luck! [:)]
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
John 3rd

Climb Mount Niitaka

Post by John 3rd »

The turn is sent and the die is cast.

BANZAI!

John 3rd

"Air Raid Pearl Harbor"

Post by John 3rd »

Combat Report
December 7, 1941
Pearl Harbor

Cmr Fuchida stares down at the shambles that was a pristine harbor just several hours ago. War has begun in most glorious fashion for the Japanese. The five carriers of the First Striking Force deliver two strikes this day that make history.

Surprise Attack: 90 Zero, 108 Val, and 90 Kate---Two Daitai of Vals go after the airfields and ALL 90 Kates carry Torpedoes!!! I have never seen 90 Torps dropped at Pearl Harbor EVER: GLORIOUS!

Afternoon Attack: 90 Zero 27 Kate (800 Kg Bombs from Zuikaku)

There is no aerial resistance and Japanese losses are a trifling 3 Val and 8 Kate.

Results:
Battleship Row
Arizona 2 Bombs--6 TT: SUNK
Nevada 1 800Kg--1 Bomb--3TT: SUNK
Oklahoma 1 800Kg--5 Bombs--5TT: Possibly SUNK
Pennsylvania 5TT: SUNK
California 1 800Kg--2 Bombs--3TT: On Fire
Maryland 2 800Kg--3TT: Heavy Damage
Tennessee 2 Bombs--3TT: Hv Fires and Heavy Damage
West Virginia 1 Bomb--5TT: Heavy Damage

Cruisers
CA New Orleans 1 800Kg--1TT: Heavy Fires
CA San Fransisco 1 800Kg
CL Phoenix 2TT: Hv Damage
CL Honolulu 1TT
CL Helena 1TT: On Fire

Others
DD Shaw and Cassin each take TT and are SUNK!
AS, AE, 2 AK, and AV Tangier all take 1TT each

Have never, ever sunk three and possibly four BB on the Opening Attack at PH. The bag would have been higher but a dratted five DUD TTs were launched. Used five CVs and they did very well. A great bonus is hitting all the modern cruisers. They will not be joining any carrier screen for a while. NICE!

The AF got pummeled quite nicely.

Nagumo moves off North to refuel from his AOs and ponder the next set of moves for Kido Butai.

Attachments
PH127.jpg
PH127.jpg (262.64 KiB) Viewed 426 times

John 3rd

"Air Raid Manila"

Post by John 3rd »

Combat Report
December 7, 1941
Manila

Word of the attack at Pearl Harbor ripples across to the Philippines. A CAP (12 P-40---4 P-36) is launched over the heavily clustered shipping at Manila Bay. Attacks come from three directions this day and that CAP is easily brushed aside:

Northern Strike: 9 Zero 36 Betty/Nell hit the Airfield and plaster it quite nicely. Four planes are destroyed, numerous damaged, and 67 craters are placed on the concrete strips.

Western Strike: 9 Zero, 27 Val, 27 Kate (CV Kaga) thunder in and arrow for shipping. They sink a PT Boat, sink SS S-37, Salmon and Sculpin, hit AV Langley four times, SINK DD Peary, damage DD Pillsbury, hit an AP, hit AS Holland, hit an AK, and damage SS Spearfish

Eastern Strike: 9 Claude and 12 Kate (CV Ryujo) try to exploit the damage by hitting SS Pike, an AK, an AKL, and another PT Boat

For just 66 Strike Planes this is not too bad of a result. Kaga moves south to intercept shipping and Ryujo does the same. CVE Taiyo moves from Babeldoap to join Ryujo.

Other Air
Clark is crushed by 36 Zero and 54 Betty. A CAP of 8 P-40s attempts to intercept and is crushed.

Iba is nailed by 45 Zero and 27 Nells.

Ground
Japanese troops land at Vigan and Laoag.

amon15

RE: "Air Raid Manila"

Post by amon15 »

what attack settings did you use for your carrier aircraft?
John 3rd

RE: "Air Raid Manila"

Post by John 3rd »

Zeros set at 11,000 Ft and 15,000 Ft (Two Daitai at each), Vals and Kates 11,000 Ft.

John 3rd

Dec 16. 1941

Post by John 3rd »

I have not done too many Posts as we have tried to get a bit of a serious start going. Between games I have been doing turns and not AAR entries. Well...I need to do one right now due to what 'might' happen.

The Kido Butai has slowly moved due north from Pearl Harbor, then east, and now SE. During the course of that movement was nearly had a heart attack when an American Surface Action Group of 2 CL and 8 DD stumble upon the KB. Combat OPENED at 5,000 Yds. HOLY CATS! Each of my five CVs were hit at least once but--thankfully--the enemy concentrated on the CV able to fight a surface engagement. Akagi took five hits for no damage and scored FOUR 8" hits upon her assailants. After a scary first two rouns, the two BC and 2 CA moved in ans smothered the American forces. CL Detroit and DD Mugford were sunk and the other CL and three DDs were pummeled pretty well. Thankfully no major damage to KB. Damn. Dodged a bullet there!

As the TF moved SE the Americans lost contact with KB.

Just this turn December 15th, a Glen I-Boat spotted USS Saratoga moving out from the West Coast. KB is in perfect position to SINK HER! I have divided KB into 3 CV and 2 CV due to needing fuel from my AOs. Both should unite tomorrow to destroy this target. You can see in the screenshot what is about to occur...

Attachments
KB1216.jpg
KB1216.jpg (455.29 KiB) Viewed 426 times

John 3rd

RE: Dec 16. 1941

Post by John 3rd »

Here is the screenshot of the American TF and its fight with KB:

Attachments
KB Attack.jpg
KB Attack.jpg (590.66 KiB) Viewed 426 times

John 3rd

Central Pacific

Post by John 3rd »

December 16, 1941
Central Pacific

The opening of the war has seen some interesting developments. Herbie has chosen to FIGHT it out. In numerous areas he is forward deploying while sortieing single ships or small TF of surface combat vessels. He has managed to catch a couple of small Invasion Forces and done some damage but nothing has been delayed or stopped.

The Central Pacific has not seen a bunch of action but that is about to change.

In an attempt to make a quick grab of Wake, a Fast TF of 3 CL and 8 DD drop off a Naval Guard unit but the Marines manage to hold them off. Forts are dropped to ZERO but nothing else of note has occurred. The Betty unit in the Marshalls has been hitting the troops or AF.

While Wake was in play the original TF that usually takes Guam is headed for Midway. That Infantry Regiment and large base Force are heading there under the protection of the four small, older Japanese CAs.

Tomorrow will see the landing at Wake while the cruisers are moving to Midway intercepting a one ship TF blocking the path. Figure Wake is resolved on the 17th and Midway on the 18th.

Attachments
CenPac1216.jpg
CenPac1216.jpg (518.58 KiB) Viewed 426 times

John 3rd

South Pacific

Post by John 3rd »

December 16, 1941
South Pacific

Nothing too exciting. We've established a seaplane base at Gasmata and a TF is formed up at Truk heading for Lae.

Attachments
SoPac1216.jpg
SoPac1216.jpg (529.45 KiB) Viewed 426 times

John 3rd

Eastern DEI

Post by John 3rd »

December 16, 1941
Eastern DEI/Mindanao

LOTS of action here!

Small TF have moved to create seaplane bases heading towards Ambon and Koepang. A larger Invasion Force is finishing loading at Babeldoap heading for Kendari.

Mindanao is an early focus as elements of two entire Infantry Divisions have landed. Cagayan was taken and two complete squadrons of American fighters were destroyed on the ground. Davao got it this turn and will fall tomorrow. Plan for Mindanao to fully occupied by Dec 25th. The two ID used here will then assault Soerabaja.

Coming around northern Borneo is three SNLF units destined to take Tarakan. They are about three days away from their target.

Japanese Fleet elements have been reinforced by four old BBs from the Home Islands as well as CVE Taiyo and Hosho. Zuiho just detached and is headed to join up with Kaga and Ryujo.

Several of those counter moves mentioned earlier have been down around Ambon. Four of the old US DDs have been involved in the fracas but haven't done too much damage.

Attachments
East DEI.jpg
East DEI.jpg (787.84 KiB) Viewed 426 times

Return to “After Action Reports”