Torch improvements to full game / grand campaign

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Megalomatrix

Torch improvements to full game / grand campaign

Post by Megalomatrix »

I have a couple quick questions about the upcoming expansion for WITH Operation Torch:

1. Will the improvements to the main game (such as to air operations) make their way into the main game, or only be for owners of the expansion?

2. It's not listed at the moment, but would there by any chance of getting a grand campaign that would include Torch / North Africa or have a 1942 start date? I don't know the arguments against, etc., but when I read about the western front in WW2, one big part of the war were the strategic decisions involved such as where a second front could be opened up, etc. - it would be cool to have a campaign where an invasion into Northern France - though probably dumb - instead of North Africa could be chosen by the player would be awesome.
Helpless

RE: Torch improvements to full game / grand campaign

Post by Helpless »

1. Will the improvements to the main game (such as to air operations) make their way into the main game, or only be for owners of the expansion?

Most of the improvements would go into main game. Only air unit insignia and 3/4/Coop MP play are not.
2. It's not listed at the moment, but would there by any chance of getting a grand campaign that would include Torch / North Africa or have a 1942 start date? I don't know the arguments against, etc., but when I read about the western front in WW2, one big part of the war were the strategic decisions involved such as where a second front could be opened up, etc. - it would be cool to have a campaign where an invasion into Northern France - though probably dumb - instead of North Africa could be chosen by the player would be awesome.

I think it should be possible to create such scenario, which would be H2H only and with some naval movement house rules early on.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
KWG

Post by KWG »

For me ground war wise its more fun to be the German, Air war, its the Allied bombing campaign. The ability to have 2 people on the same side, each doing air or ground is great and that's from some who has only played the ai. Almost wish it was not coming out so soon, I would have liked to have beta tested it. It's been a busy year and finally getting back into my "historical mode" and having recently defeated the ai for the first time the new features will definitely make me want to enter the world of human commanders.
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
Megalomatrix

Post by Megalomatrix »

Helpless-

If the GC scenario mentioned can be done H2H - does that include H2H vs. AI?

Thanks!
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: Wartasticus

Helpless-

If the GC scenario mentioned can be done H2H - does that include H2H vs. AI?

Thanks!

Yes, but I don't think the AI would know how to transition from North Africa to Europe. We made no attempt to get the AI to do this as we didn't build any scenarios to do this and it would take a lot of Gary's time to get the AI to do this satisfactorily.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Megalomatrix

Post by Megalomatrix »

Okay, thanks - It's not a buy / no-buy issue for me as a potential customer (I hope to get the base game when the wallet permits it a bit more or it goes on sale). Just sounds like it could be really cool at some point if enough people / the devs think it's worth it.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”