Visual Tutorials for WitE

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

TitaniumTrout

Visual Tutorials for WitE

Post by TitaniumTrout »

I put together some visual tutorials on Steam and realized I never posted the links over here.

The goal was to show an entry level player the bare basics and not get too bogged down in detail. If I've made a mistake, please let me know, if you'd like something covered, please let me know.

Basic Counters

Opposing Forces and Basic Combat

Movement

Encirclement

Fog of War

Supply Basics

Aircraft Tutorial

Support Units
charlie0311

RE: Visual Tutorials for WitE

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi,

This stuff won't load on my computer, Win 10.

Some kind of security thing is blocking it, guess, what to do. Matrix should look at your stuff, then decide to put it thru their system so the end user doesn't have to make any adjustments. One click, that's all.

TitaniumTrout

Post by TitaniumTrout »

Odd, I'm not showing any issues or security problems when I run a site scan.

If you have a moment could you describe the error, or security block?

charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Sure, when I click on one of your links nothing happens, no msg.

The "loading circle", upper left, just runs and runs. Not very computer literate. :)
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Checked again, seems to be working just fine now??
smudge56

Post by smudge56 »

Very useful Stuff. Now I consider myself a accomplished war gamer, even though I've had the game a while I've only just started to get into the game again. I've played the scenarios and done not too badly. Though saying that I've tired quite a few time the grand strategy from the soviets side. No matter what tactics I try and different ideas, I cannot for the life of me stop the Germans from rolling my forces up like a nice bit of pastry. They get demolished. What in the hell can I do to survive until general winter turns up. I can never get that far without most major land, cities etc being over run.

I could do with some help in over coming this problem please. I wish to be able to play a russia.
AKA - Smudge
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Great job! [:)]

Just a quick observation:

HQ build up formula is changed (I don't remember exactly but if you fail some rolls you can receive MP reduction)
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
Raikkonen

Post by Raikkonen »

Is there a way to get these in "printer friendly" format? I've found the game tough to approach and this looks like what I need to get going. But I don't want to print all the ads on the sidebar. I don't mind the color, in fact I prefer it, but don't want to print ten pages when it could be consolidated to 5.
TitaniumTrout

Post by TitaniumTrout »

ORIGINAL: tommict

Is there a way to get these in "printer friendly" format? I've found the game tough to approach and this looks like what I need to get going. But I don't want to print all the ads on the sidebar. I don't mind the color, in fact I prefer it, but don't want to print ten pages when it could be consolidated to 5.

I'll see what I can do about putting it into something that is printer friendly and downloadable.

As far as the Soviet side... let me get some time under my belt with those. To be honest I've focused on the Axis side as I feel it's easier to learn with.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

These are really good "cliffnotes" for the game. Useful for experienced and new players alike.

Is there a career here for you in game development?

Thanks much.
TitaniumTrout

Post by TitaniumTrout »

Glad you found them helpful Bill.

I do a lot of work instructions for my day job and readability is always a huge factor. Pictures, short gifs, and just simply the matter of showing, can make all the difference.

And to be honest I learned more for my own enjoyment of the game by writing these than for any other reason.
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

This should be put up as a sticky so it's always easy to find.
jacktimes2

Post by jacktimes2 »

A compilation PDF of these excellent tutorials would make my day. Either way, thanks!
TitaniumTrout

Post by TitaniumTrout »

I'm adding a PDF for each of the tutorials. There will be a link at the top of each page. I have one for the supply portion done, once I finish up the novel I'm working on I'll get to the rest.

If you'd like something more covered, or if you'd like to contribute tips / tricks, please let me know.
jacktimes2

Post by jacktimes2 »

Good luck with your novel! My wife is writing one, so I know how hard you must be working on it. Don't forget to sleep :)
TitaniumTrout

Post by TitaniumTrout »

ORIGINAL: jacktimes2

Good luck with your novel! My wife is writing one, so I know how hard you must be working on it. Don't forget to sleep :)

Thanks! This is my 7th, so not quite as daunting as the first.

It's nice to relax with a round of WitE every so often in between chapters.
nico71

Post by nico71 »

This should be part of the official documentation. For both WITE and WITW.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”