Brother Against Brother Updated to Version 1.0.6.

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: Gil R., ericbabe

Daniele

Brother Against Brother Updated to Version 1.0.6.

Post by Daniele »

Hi all!

Brother Against Brother has been updated to Version 1.0.6!

The most important feature is the new complete Modding Guide (you can reach it from the new button on the game menu)! This is a very helpful tool for anyone interested in creating new variant scenarios or even entirely new battles with Brother against Brother!

Here's the changelog:

V1.06 – June 5. 2015
・Added new counter art. Special thanks to Richard Evans.

・Fixed bug in PBEM++ interface

・Added safeguards to PBEM file operations to help prevent errors due to abnormal terminations

・Increased the refresh time in PBEM main dialog

・Added additional calls to Windows message queue management to try to minimize "unresponsive application" errors

・Complete Modding Guide accesible ingame
Yogi the Great

RE: Brother Against Brother Updated to Version 1.0.6.

Post by Yogi the Great »

?? I updated by checking check for updates on the "start" screen.

When I start the game now it no longer shows the "start" screen first where you choose options such as play, check for updates, manual etc. it just goes straight to the game. It does display the new version number so it did update but it seems odd that it goes straight to the game. Now to check for updates I have to go to where the BAB folder is on the computer and there is an icon there to check for update but I wonder why that was removed as a start screen. A bug? or just n individual oddity in my download?

(also I updated Order of Battle Pacific today the same way and I still have a "start" screen as before the update)
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

works for me, so must be you again Yogi [:D][;)]

have tried to get a screen shot of the 1.06 screen but it always takes one of my desktop :( but it does load it, then into the game menu, time for a uninstall and folder wipe then reinstall it again m8
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

works for me, so must be you again Yogi [:D][;)]

You are correct sir! If there is a way of getting a problem I excel at the task.
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

The counter art is much better.
Jim Cobb
barkhorn45

Post by barkhorn45 »

tried to install patch was informed it was already at 1.0.6
but no modding guide button and also cannot see new version number anymore anywhere.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

I haven't found modding guide button either. Although I don't mod anyway I know it is important to some.
barkhorn45

Post by barkhorn45 »

I don't mod either but I think the lack of the button might mean the program has not been updated.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

It shows 1.06 and the counter art is updated.
berto

Post by berto »

Same counter art as in the 1.06beta?
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: berto

Same counter art as in the 1.06beta?

I think so, I didn't download the beta only the official 1.06
barkhorn45

Post by barkhorn45 »

that could be the problem I installed 1.06beta so when I tried to install 1.06 I should have went ahead and installed after it said already at 1,06.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I checked with Matrix on this, and was told that if you are installing the new version and are getting a message that you already have it just ignore that -- you do want this official version, not the beta version.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

Are there any updates on when or if a new patch is coming? I do really like the basic game system (as far as it goes playing against the AI), but PBEM is still basically an unfriendly mess--- not only the lack of a turn replay feature, but the fact that one misses all the messages like rout/rally/ officer killed etc, which are kinda critical, especially as many of these states don't show up in the actual game when selecting units, as I've commented in other posts. I suspended a PBEM game months ago waiting for a system where we could get all the info we needed to really play a game, but it doesn't seem that there is much movement on fixing the system. Which is a shame, as otherwise, there seem to be the basics on a really excellent system otherwise.

The whole game system kinda feels like a 90% there kinda thing, but that last 10% is really critical to make it a keeper.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I am working on a patch which will have some PBEM features, but I cannot say for certain when it will be released. We've started working on a sequel for BAB, and some of the features that will be in the patch will depend on design decisions we make for the sequel.

You should be able to see routed units within the game now. Is this not working?
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

I'll be honest that I had suspended my PBEM games during the 1.06 beta, and have not played since, but I will take a look at again the issue I raised awhile ago on units that are highlighted red not describing the proper routed/ disordered/ retreated messages under the proper 1.06 patch. I assume though, those messages/ pop-ups when they first happen (as well as things like officer killed, etc.) don't appear during PBEM games still? I'm basically just not really gonna start another PBEM game til things like that are resolved. And for the record, actual replay in PBEM is not as big an issue for me as others--- what's just needed is a way to get all the info after the fact, particularly pop-up messages. That as well as the way that when executing a PBEM turn (again, maybe this was corrected in the full 1.06), occasionally the game will switch FOW to the other side.

But again, this comes from a guy who really, really likes the underlying system, and I would certainly buy another game in the series, though only after various of these issues have been shown to be resolved in the current game. It just seems like a 90% there thing, 10% to go, but that 10% is really putting a cramp on those of us who only play by PBEM, and never even bother against the AI.
kennonlightfoot

Post by kennonlightfoot »

While it would be nice to have a full replay for the "unseen" turn that occurs in PBEM play, the detail information is in the History report. Since it affects both sides equally, neither see the results of the turn they just set up before emailing, I don't consider it a major flaw. Just an inconvenience since you can go to the history report and find out what the combat result was for any unit engaged. I normally play with all the optional pop-ups turn off. They just slow things down to much. The casualty summary at the end of the battle report is the most important measure I use to see how a round went. Leader casualties usually are indicated by the pop-up at the beginning of your turn asking you to choose a new leader. If you are curious as to what got him, you can scroll through the history to find out. Like most Civil War games we know entirely to much about what is going on already. A little extra fog of war doesn't hurt.

I would recommend getting back to playing PBEM. Many fixes to other CW games didn't come out until 5 to 10 years after their initial release. Unfortunately, as a game audience we are just to few. If we had a million or so players like other game gentries we could expect quick response for problems. As is we are lucky anyone bothers to publish games on the Civil War at all.
Kennon
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

Just bought Brother against Brother yesterday. I assume I need to download the 1.06 patch. Where can I find a download link for the patch? Thanks!
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Jagger2002

Just bought Brother against Brother yesterday. I assume I need to download the 1.06 patch. Where can I find a download link for the patch? Thanks!

Check in the members section under patches:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/505 ... st.Brother

Thanks
Rick
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

Got it. Thanks!

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”