OT Help with RN Subs.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

warspite1

OT Help with RN Subs.

Post by warspite1 »

Does anyone know of a book or source where I can get the definitive Royal Navy submarine fleet list as at September 1939?

The usual sources - Roskill, naval-history.net etc are all proving contradictory [:@]

I cannot get to 57 boats (which is the figure always given for the RN at the start of the war).
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Terminus

RE: OT Help with RN Subs.

Post by Terminus »

Niehorster's site lists 62. Probably not all operational.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Thank-you. I think that I will stick with 57 as I can at least get firm(ish) info on 54 boats of the other classes + 3 of the T-class. I shall assume the other T-class boats were working up.

Didn't think it would be that difficult... [&:]

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Rear Admiral, Submarines (under Home Fleet) had six non-operational submarines on September 3rd, 1939. One S-, five T-class.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Rear Admiral, Submarines (under Home Fleet) had six non-operational submarines on September 3rd, 1939. One S-, five T-class.
warspite1

I don't suppose you have the names? The appearance of an S-class is most unwelcome as I have accounted for all twelve....

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

S-class: Sunfish (in refit)

T-class: Thistle (in refit), Triad and Trident (post-commissioning workup), Tribune and Truant (pre-commissioning).
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Okay thanks. Sunfish and Thistle I have in the 2nd Submarine Flotilla. I will go with that but make a note that some boats may have been under refit at the outbreak of war. I think this is the best I can do.

If the UK is proving so difficult - with access to the number of sources I have, I think other navies are going to be next to impossible!!

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Sunfish and Thistle WERE assigned to the 2nd Sub Flotilla. They just weren't ready to sail at the time.

EDIT: According to Niehorster, the subs were ready for duty on the following dates:

Sunfish: October 18th.
Thistle: September 9th.
Triad: September 16th.
Trident: October 1st.
Tribune: October 17th.
Truant: October 30th.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Okay thanks. Sunfish and Thistle I have in the 2nd Submarine Flotilla. I will go with that but make a note that some boats may have been under refit at the outbreak of war. I think this is the best I can do.

If the UK is proving so difficult - with access to the number of sources I have, I think other navies are going to be next to impossible!!

The US is usually pretty good with records, and the Germans ridiculously retentive. Now the Confederacy, the only reason we knew the names of their subs was because there was only one (as far as we know).

Knavey

Post by Knavey »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

The US is usually pretty good with records, and the Germans ridiculously retentive. Now the Confederacy, the only reason we knew the names of their subs was because there was only one (as far as we know).

You mean these?

Mssing CSA submarines
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Knavey
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

You mean these?

Mssing CSA submarines

I hate it when someone attempts to upset something I said that was totally true, by bringing facts to the table! They should be hunted down and prosecuted for fibs crimes. I'll say no more.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Sunfish and Thistle WERE assigned to the 2nd Sub Flotilla. They just weren't ready to sail at the time.

EDIT: According to Niehorster, the subs were ready for duty on the following dates:

Sunfish: October 18th.
Thistle: September 9th.
Triad: September 16th.
Trident: October 1st.
Tribune: October 17th.
Truant: October 30th.
warspite1

Thanks Terminus - that Niehorster site was really useful too. Pretty sure my info is now as accurate as it can be - whilst getting to the 57 boats that is always quoted.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”