Please explain combat factors re attached screenshot

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

gwgardner

Please explain combat factors re attached screenshot

Post by gwgardner »

Playing the WAW scenario, it's turn 30 already and I still have not figured out combat tactics. Here's an example. I hope someone can break it down and explain it to me.

I have an anti-tank unit attacking a Heavy tank. I expected a straighforward anti-tank power of 90 against armor type vs a heavy tank defense of 60 vs. infantry type.

Instead I get anti-tank attack power of 30 vs amror defense factor of 400.

readiness for both sides was around 90, experience for the ati-tank was 28, for the heavy tank was 32, weather was mud.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (299.24 KiB) Viewed 29 times

pakron

RE: Please explain combat factors re attached screenshot

Post by pakron »

I'm a newbie but I've trying to get up to speed on the rules as well.

I believe the following is correct:

Page 111 (section 4.4.4.1) of the manual explains how an attack is calculated. Basically, it uses the ATT value of the attacker and the HP of the defender.

The ATT power of the AT is divided by number of attacks (3 in this case) = 30.

For the two values in the ATT column separated by a /, it's not ATTACK & DEFENSE. They are both ATT values. One is used when your whole unit is being ordered to attack an opponent's unit. The second value is used when your unit is being attacked (i.e. when your opponent orders his unit to attack yours). So, if your AT is in a unit that is attacking another unit then the left-most value would be used whenever the AT gun is attacking. On the other hand, if your AT is in a unit that is being attacked by another unit, your AT would use the right-most value when the AT gun is attacking. They key is that units that are defending will still have its sub-formations attack as part of the battle. That is when that right-most value will be used.

I would be grateful if somebody with more experience would chime in and correct me if I am wrong!
gwgardner

RE: Please explain combat factors re attached screenshot

Post by gwgardner »

Your explanation certainly makes sense. I should have dug into the manual myself. Thanks. I had never paid attention to how many rounds in a combat a unit type typically engaged in.

So an antitank unit is REALLY bad on attack. Which does make sense. while if it were being attacked it's 200 HP is pretty decent.

You've just peeled away another layer for me. The game is deep.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”