Appeal to Experienced Axis Players, Advise

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

ladner

Appeal to Experienced Axis Players, Advise

Post by ladner »

I have committed to finally finishing a campaign, I have played this game for about 50+ hours, finished a few of the Road to X Scenarios, started a couple of campaigns, but never finished. I am in a campaign against the AI, and have reached turn 10. The AI is not very good, but I feel I am too inexperienced for PBEM at this stage, and don't have the time to be a 'good' at least in terms of etiquette PBEM player. Anyhow, I am slowly getting a feel for how far the Panzer Groups can be pushed, and the need to create lanes for the infantry. I still struggle with support units, and their management. I have not had logistics issues, of course I have not been hit with mud yet, I am worried about being overextended from my converted rail, when the mud arrives.

I am trying to copy some of the AAR strategies, but I am clearly, not able to execute like Pelton. I have read many threads but could use advise on fortification busting, morale 'farming', and proper use of air supply. I am on the outskirts of Leningrad I have L and I Armeekorps in position to start clearing out the hexes below the Neva River. The AI seems like it is going to put up its first good fight, and I have felt the sting of the 1-1 = 2-1 on some counter attacks, which has actually made the game more interesting. I suspect at my current level of play I would struggle breaking an experienced Soviet players wall of steel, or checkerboard. Any feedback from experienced players would be welcome.
Numdydar

RE: Appeal to Experienced Axis Players, Advise

Post by Numdydar »

Some screenshots of your positions would help a lot [:)]
ladner

Post by ladner »

Front lines turn 11

Attachments
front lines turn 11.jpg
front lines turn 11.jpg (366.18 KiB) Viewed 28 times
ladner

Post by ladner »

Before Leningrad

Attachments
turn 11 be..eningrad.jpg
turn 11 be..eningrad.jpg (275.75 KiB) Viewed 27 times
ladner

Post by ladner »

Road to Moscow

Attachments
roadtomoscow.jpg
roadtomoscow.jpg (416.68 KiB) Viewed 27 times
ladner

Post by ladner »

Guess the experienced Axis players are going to keep their secrets to themselves. Really hoped someone could expand on the 'morale farming' strategy mentioned by Pelton. Curious if one is trying to maximize 18th Armee, do you change the commanding general to von Manstein, put Model in charge of I Korps, and so forth.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Farming morale means doing something to increase morale. Like win combats. Farming morale combats are when you get an opportunity to attack and win somewhere that has no real strategic/operational significance. You wouldn't be looking to breakthrough or even advance after combat.

Units will tend toward their national morale, seen at the bottom of the events log page. So if you have some stuff that is below national morale you can "farm" it up by keeping it 10 or more hexes from
enemy units, goes up anyway (supposed to anyway), faster when far to the rear (10 hexes).

Combat leaders, really it's all pretty intuitive, better the ratings, better the results. The "back-up" guys, army in the axis case, same thing. How far the Hq unit is from the combat is important, 5 for su commitment, and the die rolls for leaders are affected by how far to the combat. Not sure about these ranges, but the closer the better.
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

"Morale farming" is putting your high morale leaders in the same chain of command. For the Soviets it would be putting Zhukov in STAVKA, then the next highest in one of the Fronts, then a high morale leader in a Army HQ. That helps increase your chances of getting victories but will still be few and far between in '41. I have had some leaders get promoted in '41 by doing that and some initiatives have gone up also.

swkuh

Post by swkuh »

@Commanderski: appreciate your insight that chain of high morale leaders from corps to GHQ will maximize morale development. Will change my game accordingly. (Of course, there are many demands upon the admin points pool.)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”