What is RESERVE exactly?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Rongor

What is RESERVE exactly?

Post by Rongor »

Hi there.
While I do some thoroughly studies of the manual recently, the only explanation to what setting "reserve" status does is the ability of that unit to maybe join a combat within 6 hexes after some checks took place.

I so far didn't succeed in finding any further description what "reserve" might be good for elsewhere and/or connected to what kind of conditions this may play a role.

Is that joining a combat feature the sole and superficial idea behind reserve or is this behavior only some side effect of the reserve status?
Does reserve status only aim to have that unit ready for combats in vicinity or is it much more a function to let the unit rest, influence morale and/or training levels in any way or whatever?

Couldn't find anything in the most recent WITE manual so far, btw I also couldn't find hints on this topic in the WITW book as well.

Thanks for any advice regarding the question, also your thoughts around when or how to use that feature most efficiently are appreciated. Also if I might have overlooked existing parts in the manual addressing this topic, please feel invited to guide me to the correct chapter which I should look up again.
heliodorus04

RE: What is RESERVE exactly?

Post by heliodorus04 »

You are kind of describing both Refit, which is what it sounds like - work on morale, experience, and TOE level (relative to maximum assigned); and Reserve, whose sole purpose is to add strength to nearby combats.

Refit is best accomplished more than 10 hexes away from the nearest enemy-controlled hex. It is almost useless when employed by a unit in contact with an enemy hex. It works most quickly to raise TOE levels, and may or may not help raise morale and experience depending on a number of factors (the most important two of which are the unit's morale relative to the national morale for that side at that time in the war, and the unit's immediate leader qualities for Morale).

Reserve is also useless when next to an enemy unit.
Reserve is ONLY designed to add force to nearby combats. Many factors influence whether a reserve unit will support a given combat; too many to mention, you should look in the manual. The ORIGINAL manual has all you need to know about Reserve - it hasn't changed much since then.

Hope that helps.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
Rongor

Post by Rongor »

Well I know what refit does, so I addressed RESERVE only with this thread, hence the thread title. But I found it in section 15.5 now in the manual. Thanks!
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Yeah, well, you seem confused, so I tried to help. Bad idea.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Rongor

Well I know what refit does, so I addressed RESERVE only with this thread, hence the thread title. But I found it in section 15.5 now in the manual. Thanks!

couple of things to watch out for.

--- as such, reserve status has no negative impacts but you may want to watch who you put onto reserve. If a unit with low morale is committed to reserve (attack or defence) and the battle is lost, they will rout ... which further reduces their morale, so especially in 1941 with the Soviets watch which units you set to reserve

--- units on refit dig in less effectively. This may actually be beneficial, if you are trying to conserve supply and don't want fortifications being built where you have a fresh formation forming up (again the Soviets in 1941-2 may be particularly affected)

otherwise as helodorus04 says, reserve is fine, its the same as ready but has the advantage the unit may react if its not in a zoc.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”